Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Adult Furries Guild
Musings of a bunny on her day. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Yeah the owner died. it wouldn't eat. Starved itself to death, I was heart broke.

Iguana's get thrown away all the time. I have like 8 in my house because we couldn't find anywhere for them right now.

I also find perstores in general to be repulsive. And its good to hear you did it too! I think its kinda peoples responsibility to take careof them....we messed stuff up for most of them afterall, ya?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm
Blah don't even get me started on iguanas. I live in Florida and my backyard/canal bank is currently overpopulated with a population of wild iguanas that has gotten started do to all the idiots who throw their unwanted iguanas out in a nearby field when they are done with them. I love the lizards, but they are seriously mooching in and displacing the native wildlife along with so many other exotic reptiles and critters that are taking over. =(

I wish people would take the responsibility of a pet more seriously. When you buy it should be for the animals life, not a few months till they outgrow their cute baby stages.  

Krissim Klaw

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:03 pm
I read you have a type of monitor lizard invading down there too thats causing alot of trouble.

I love reptiles. When I was 10 I wanted to be a herpatologiast, that never took...

Really though, wild iguanas? The only thing cooler to have around wild would be Coconut crabs!

...Well, other then you know, destroying the ecosystem.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Pixeliciousness
I think sugar gliders should not be pets. I tried to nurse one to health after its owner died and the thing just....it was heart breaking.

I didn't know she was an animal breeder. I'm a bit of an exotic animals buff. I do volunteer at shelter/perserve. I see dangerous animals and unfit animals...well, thrown into the garbage. It really makes me upset.

I'm sure she could take care of the animal and give it alot of happiness. And probally knows more about dogs then me by far. I guess I was just vicariously expressing frustration at breeders. They make it so the animal can't survive as a pet -or- as a wild animal, and thats just....abominable.

To correct you, I do not breed dogs. I know quite a bit about it thanks to having two friends who are professional breeders, but I don't do i myself. I do train dogs and have quite a bit of experience with both really bad owners and really good owners.

For the most part, I try to not advertise that I am a trainer, because people tend to want the quick fix or a long dissertation about my beliefs in the dog world.

My ending point of dog ownership is that before getting any type of breed, I would recommend that someone fully understand how much care that breed actually needs, such as exercise, living conditions, feeding and grooming, which I hope anyone would delve into before getting a dog.

And yes, I do love mutts and rescued dogs, but I would rather have a dog from a puppy then one I have no knowledge of history.

-----

I have mixed feelings on owning exotics or wild animals. Skunks, raccoons, fennecs.....i know people who've had them but I don't think they should be domesticated.

Snakes found in the open spaces: my family has done this, actually. We found a King Snake in my school's playground (the school backed up to the open space) and the parents wanted to kill it, but we ended up taking it home for awhile before relocating it.

Insects: I don't have an issue with taking them in.

Rabbits: did that one too, except I think the rabbits we caught were once pets but people couldn't care for them anymore and just let them go  

Rainey_angel81

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:11 pm
Krissim Klaw

I wish people would take the responsibility of a pet more seriously. When you buy it should be for the animals life, not a few months till they outgrow their cute baby stages.

no wonder rescues and shelters are having problems with dogs in the shelters. Maybe they should preach to the owners to stop blindly buying puppies. They rest all their cases on "breeders" and puppy mills, but most of the dogs in the pounds these days were abandoned by their owners.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm
Rainey_angel81

I have mixed feelings on owning exotics or wild animals. Skunks, raccoons, fennecs.....i know people who've had them but I don't think they should be domesticated.

*Sneaks in and steals the fennec*

Heh that will probably be my next pet. ^.^;;

I partially blame puppy mills for overpopulation because mills are turning out thousands of dogs and are the ones selling to petstores thus making it so easy for irresponsible people to walk in a store and pick up an overpriced pup. Naturally, I have no problem with reputable breeders since I got Kirby from one.

Although I'm not fond of byb's I have no real issues with them as long as they put in the effort to properly home and care for the pups. .___.

But yes, the individual owners who shirk their responsibility carry the blame too. Sadly it is the animals that have to carry out the resounding punishment. =(  

Krissim Klaw

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:20 pm
So just at a guess, you'd probally agree with me in making people be held accountable for their animals? I've not run into it, thankfully, but I've seen alot of animal cops with kitty/dog hoarders.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:24 pm
Krissim Klaw
Rainey_angel81

*Sneaks in and steals the fennec*

Heh that will probably be my next pet. ^.^;;

I partially blame puppy mills for overpopulation because mills are turning out thousands of dogs and are the ones selling to petstores thus making it so easy for irresponsible people to walk in a store and pick up an overpriced pup. Naturally, I have no problem with reputable breeders since I got Kirby from one.

Although I'm not fond of byb's I have no real issues with them as long as they put in the effort to properly home and care for the pups. .___.

But yes, the individual owners who shirk their responsibility carry the blame too. Sadly it is the animals that have to carry out the resounding punishment. =([/quot

I've had three owners who bought puppies from pet stores or an online site called breedersdirect.com (which by the way, is a front for puppy mills). The owners each paid between 1500-2300 for their puppies.

byb's...are actually not so bad. They just tend to not understand that you can't breed a merle with a merle or a pitbull red with a red or a lavender with a lavender.

Rainey_angel81

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 pm
Pixeliciousness
So just at a guess, you'd probally agree with me in making people be held accountable for their animals? I've not run into it, thankfully, but I've seen alot of animal cops with kitty/dog hoarders.

It would be great if there was a secure law system in place for owners, but there aren't. Each state is different. You can get anything from a slap on the wrist, to $5000 fine or 2years jail time.

California I think has a $400min. fine and up to 2years in jail for extreme cases.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 pm
I think slaps on the wrist are far to common. Like..he was in the news not long ago, the guy who made his daughter kill their kitten with a knife. I think thats just plain psychotic. And he only got like a year.

Likewise people just..throwing them away, letting them live in squaller, that sort of stuff, at the very least there should be a law to prevent people like that from owning animals.

I heard fennecs actually act alot like dogs? I actually had a friend discussing this with me once, though he refered to them as 'those russian foxes' and 'why does every animal we domesticate turn into dogs'. I think he might have been exagerating slightly. I have read other people saying simmilar, but really, if 'acting like a dog' means 'acting like a pet', its kinda natural that a pet would act like..well a pet.

As a random question: What are your thoughts on Kinkajoos as pets?  

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 pm
Pixeliciousness
I think slaps on the wrist are far to common. Like..he was in the news not long ago, the guy who made his daughter kill their kitten with a knife. I think thats just plain psychotic. And he only got like a year.

Likewise people just..throwing them away, letting them live in squaller, that sort of stuff, at the very least there should be a law to prevent people like that from owning animals.

I heard fennecs actually act alot like dogs? I actually had a friend discussing this with me once, though he refered to them as 'those russian foxes' and 'why does every animal we domesticate turn into dogs'. I think he might have been exagerating slightly. I have read other people saying simmilar, but really, if 'acting like a dog' means 'acting like a pet', its kinda natural that a pet would act like..well a pet.

As a random question: What are your thoughts on Kinkajoos as pets?

the reason that the canids turn more into domesticated dogs is due to the breeding. If you breed wild to wild, you;re still going to get a fox. But, if you breed the calmer and friendlier ones together, the markings begin to change, their features begin to change, etc. It's very remarkable.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 pm
well if you think about it...

Wouldn't 'dog' be the very modle of domestication? They've been by our sides since before we really had language or culture, afterall.  

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm
Pixeliciousness
well if you think about it...

Wouldn't 'dog' be the very modle of domestication? They've been by our sides since before we really had language or culture, afterall.

Yup, that's correct. dog is a domesticated canid  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:29 pm
So would domesticated Vulpine be Tog?  

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

Krissim Klaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:52 pm
Rainey_angel81

the reason that the canids turn more into domesticated dogs is due to the breeding. If you breed wild to wild, you;re still going to get a fox. But, if you breed the calmer and friendlier ones together, the markings begin to change, their features begin to change, etc. It's very remarkable.

Yep, it is interesting who much breeding for just temperament can effect the looks of the animals.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff