Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheerfulhope

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:02 am
The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki is a great love story type novel, but it's a bit difficult to read sometimes because the language is so elegant, it doesn't capture your attention for long. Well, at least it was like that for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:41 pm
cheerfulhope
The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki is a great love story type novel, but it's a bit difficult to read sometimes because the language is so elegant, it doesn't capture your attention for long. Well, at least it was like that for me.

I'll look that up. I tend to like books written in that style. It's similar to my writing.  

dark_moon_priestess

WhatCassieDid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:02 am
Title: The Bartimaeus Trilogy
Author: Johnathon Stroud  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:20 pm
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

*Opinions about what it's about may vary*
I for one believe it's about being true to yourself and is just a story about teen age angst. Yet, somehow, EVERYONE relates to Holden (the main character) in some way, shape, or form. I remember reading it while listening to 'Tears from the Moon' by Conjure One and then started to cry. It wasn't even at a sad part!!!!  

greiqny5nsegkfnds

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:54 pm
"A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore

It's a very humorous novel! At the same time however it does not go overboard with the jokes. There is a lot of dialouge (which I like), but it's a little adultish but if your mature enoguh then there is nothing to worry about.
9/10  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:56 am
The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie

Like most of Christie's other books, this is a murder mystery featuring the famous Hercule Poirot. This time Poirot is dealing with a madman with an alphabetical complex. Poirot receives mysterious letters warning him of murders in cities like Andover, Bexhill, Churston, etc. I can't say anything else or I'll spoil the story... it's definitely a good, fast read. I give it 9/10  

Mira_Russ

Annikaya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:17 pm
The Diamond Throne by David Eddings. It's part of a series of three books (with another three book series to follow) about a knight of a religious order in a fantasy kingdom who sets out to save his queen and the world from an evil god. It sounds like your typical fantasy but the author did a really wonderful job of fleshing out this other world without making it boring. There's a lot of really subtle humor too.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:45 pm
The whole Artemis Fowl Series. By Eion Colfer.

It's a great serious about a young master mind Artimes Fowl. He has learned of the underworld, and he is destined to steel all of the gold form the magical underworld. His body gaurd 'Butler' is always there for him, his skin dark, unlike Artimes or 'Masters' pale skin. Artimes is a criminal master mind. His mind earased multiple times, His enemy yet friend, Holly Short LEP police. Is Always on his case, will Fowl win?

Angelic-Sargeant

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 pm
will5111
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

*Opinions about what it's about may vary*
I for one believe it's about being true to yourself and is just a story about teen age angst. Yet, somehow, EVERYONE relates to Holden (the main character) in some way, shape, or form. I remember reading it while listening to 'Tears from the Moon' by Conjure One and then started to cry. It wasn't even at a sad part!!!!

I love that book! The bad part is I related way too much for him. Does that mean I'm depressed too? question

Oh, the book I'll recommend is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley...if someone already recommended it then sorry about that.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm
Title: The Historian
By: Elizabeth Kosava

Its a great book (600+ pages I might add) and I would suggest you to read it if you're a person who enjoys the mystery of Dracula, adventure (Not adventure as in Alice in Wonderland), and page after page of suspence, then this is your book.

It takes awhile to read and the beginning might be a little slow but later on in the book, it picks up a lot of pace and it spins a web that you just can't get out of.

I rate it 9/10.  

Jehceeca

Imaginary Tears

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:48 pm
b0k5 5uk 101 n 3vry1 n05 1t  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:12 pm
XIrisMoonX
Title: The Historian
By: Elizabeth Kosava

Its a great book (600+ pages I might add) and I would suggest you to read it if you're a person who enjoys the mystery of Dracula, adventure (Not adventure as in Alice in Wonderland), and page after page of suspence, then this is your book.

It takes awhile to read and the beginning might be a little slow but later on in the book, it picks up a lot of pace and it spins a web that you just can't get out of.

I rate it 9/10.

I'm reading that at the moment. It's very well structured.  

MadnessFreak

Hykiora

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:31 pm
I think my favorite series of books would have to be the Tortall series by Tamora Pierce. She has a lot of typos in her work, so it's always amusing to go through and highlight them all. They're not classics, but they're not bad either if you've got a couple hours to kill.

There are fourteen books in the series, I've read all of them except for the Protector of the Small Quartet. It's basically a collection of stories about medieval girls finding their place in the world. There's romance, violence, and rebellion in just about all of 'em. The first set is about Alanna, the next set is about an orphaned girl called Veraldaine (and her interactions with Alanna), that plot moves on to Keladry (Influenced by - you guessed it- ALANNA), and the entire thing ends in the perspective of Alianne (Alanna's daughter).

Song of the Lioness Quartet:

Alanna: The First Adventure
In The Hands of The Goddess
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Lioness Rampant

The Immortals Quartet:

Wild Magic
Wolf Speaker
Emperor Mage
In The Realm of the Gods

Protector of The Small Quartet:

First Test
Page
Squire
Lady Knight

Trickster Duo:

The Trickster's Choice
The Trickster's Queen  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:46 am
I'd recommend most books by Stephen King but that series is cool. I'm in the middle of reading the fourth in the series now.  

chibby40

Alantie2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:31 pm
Has anyone ever read Catch 22?

It throws some things in your face from such a different perspective that it's funny. Then again, I have a weird sense of humor, so...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff