Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 pm
We don't have Thanksgiving down here. Not a holiday we celebrate anyways.

Oh and some country musicians are Adam Brand, Adam Harvey, John Williamson, Bushwackers (They play folk music), Tania Kernaghan, Lee Kernaghan (Lee is more popular than his sister Tania) Troy Cassar-Daley, Keith Urban, Becky Cole, Kasey Chambers, Carter and Carter, The Sunny Cowgirls, Sara Storer, Steve Ford and the Flange. I could go on but my brain has frozen from all those people. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:37 pm
The link has a list of I believe to be a majority of Australian Musicians.
Click here

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:39 pm
xp
And another one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:10 am
BeMuled MissBeth
New request!

I want to be introduced to more music. Particularly some Australian stuff. I've heard of an Aboriginal woman who plays Didgeridoo, but I can't remember her name. But it's not just that kind of thing I want to hear. I want to hear all sorts of different genres from Aussie bands (mostly ones who aren't know anywhere else, North America has a tendency of tainting musicians from other countries). Also some stuff that has no real grouping, just considered Aussie, if any exists. Young, old, doesn't matter. Just nothing that's been released outside Oz. 4laugh

Isnt it taboo in Aboriginal culture for women to play didge?  

Shail Stonrend

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm
I think it is mainly a male thing. Not 100% sure of that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:38 am
Yes, it is a male thing only. In traditional culture it is forbidden for women to play it. They believe it will cause them to be infertile.

There's hundreds of Aussie bands out there.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/default.htm

-- Aussie alternative/rock radio station. They play alot of Aussie music, although they do also play stuff from all over the world, the focus is on Australian stuff.  

EmWah
Crew

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:55 pm
I haven't listened to triple j for a long while. Not since I was at college and got sick of listening to god damned Kyle and Jackie-O. So I beat the drum for triple j. xd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:18 am
I'd like to ask a question, if I may. sweatdrop It's not so much a broad cultural question.

I'm currently looking into trying to do a study abroad program for a semester in Australia. The two places I'm considering right now are Deakin University (Melbourne) and Macquarie University. Are they considered good schools, mediocre, bad? What's the general perception of them?

Also, as an American, how likely am I to be stoned to death? xd

[Swift]

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100

stormavencore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:23 am
[Swift]
I'd like to ask a question, if I may. sweatdrop It's not so much a broad cultural question.

I'm currently looking into trying to do a study abroad program for a semester in Australia. The two places I'm considering right now are Deakin University (Melbourne) and Macquarie University. Are they considered good schools, mediocre, bad? What's the general perception of them?

As for the Uni's, my husband says that Macquarie is good, but he knows nothing of Deakin. As for being an American, you won't be stoned to death, unless you are just a dumbshit. I am American and I moved to Sydney, Australia in April to be with my husband who is Australian. People won't dislike you for being American, they just don't like the American Governement. Its not the people. :p No need to worry. I was well welcomed and accepted right off the bat.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:51 am
[Swift]

hey man if you want to get stoned I know a guy who can hook you up  

Shail Stonrend

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:01 am
[Swift]

I don't know anything about Mcquarie, but I can tell you a bit about Deakin. I assume it's the Burwood campus, yes? And what were you looking to do there?

Deakin is more renowned for their education department and environmental sciences, but littles else beyond standard with regards to the other sectors I think.

It's a small Uni, which in a way is a good thing. It's less intimidating, and your tutors sort of seem to have more time and interest in you, because classes are also generally not too large. Untill you get to lectures of course.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:38 pm
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try not to be a dumbshit. xd

Yes, I'm mostly looking at the Burwood campus. I'll probably be taking English/Literature type classes, but I've still got to find out how the credits will transfer over and all that. The classes being at least standard is fine with me; I'm less interested in the actual classwork and more interested in the experience.

[Swift]

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 am
[Swift]
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try not to be a dumbshit. xd

Yes, I'm mostly looking at the Burwood campus. I'll probably be taking English/Literature type classes, but I've still got to find out how the credits will transfer over and all that. The classes being at least standard is fine with me; I'm less interested in the actual classwork and more interested in the experience.

One of my friends at Deakin was doing a Creative Writting course I believ. They're not well known for it, but then I don't think any Uni specifies in Literature. I'm sure Burwood would suit you just fine.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:09 am
Here's a silly question! (Yes, I'm back for more rollicking good fun with the Aussies I love! 4laugh )

What do you call soft drinks in Oz? Here in Canada we call them 'pop' (I'm talking Coke, Pepsi, etc.). In the States I believe they call it 'soda'. What it's known as in Australia?

And having noticed the topic ventured toward schools down there (no worries, mate, this topic was made so anyone could ask questions about Australia, not just lil' ol' me! lol): Wellzy mentioned there aren't any purely literature based Unis ... but I heard tell of an Author's college somewhere ... I think in the Melbourne area. Not in the city, I don't think, but nearby. Maybe the outskirts. Is it true? And if so (and, of course, if anyone knows), does it have any affiliations with schools up here in Canada? 4laugh

Thanks much! And more questions to come!

xoxoxo  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:54 pm
Soft drinks quite simply. That's what I call them anyway.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff