Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 am
AccentualWolf
I made this really cool knitted bracelet (sorry for my spelling it's almost 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet) and I made it out of hemp cord. Yeah! It even has beads on it. My question is is there any way to block or is my creative venter over or my dream of a great looking piece of knitted jelwery just out of my reach????

I have no clue! But I'm betting you could block it. Get a towel and put it on a bed or carpet. Wet the bracelet and pin it all around on the towel and let it dry. That should work.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:11 am
I NEED A PATTERN!!

I have searched the whole internet and I can't find one. I want to knit a whole bunch of Riceball toys to hand out at an Anime Convention in London. Do you know where I can find one?

heart_for_hatori

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:01 pm
heart_for_hatori
I NEED A PATTERN!!

I have searched the whole internet and I can't find one. I want to knit a whole bunch of Riceball toys to hand out at an Anime Convention in London. Do you know where I can find one?

I have no idea what a rice ball is. But if you need a ball pattern, try www.knittingpatterncentral.com! If that's not what you're looking for, please explain?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 am
I need help with Fair Isle knitting. I'm doing a two(actually 3) color armwarmer, but I'm stuck at the end of my pink stripe, and don't know how to start the black.

._.

I tried youtube, but I couldn't finda really good video.

Bucket~Turtle

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm
Bucket~Turtle
I need help with Fair Isle knitting. I'm doing a two(actually 3) color armwarmer, but I'm stuck at the end of my pink stripe, and don't know how to start the black.

._.

Can you explain further for me? Are you starting a new row? Knitting flat or in the round? Is it an online pattern you can point me to? Are you having trouble wrapping in the middle of a row or just wondering how to start a new color and a new row?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:21 am
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

._.

Can you explain further for me? Are you starting a new row? Knitting flat or in the round? Is it an online pattern you can point me to? Are you having trouble wrapping in the middle of a row or just wondering how to start a new color and a new row?

Ah, the pattern is actually from a book I own, and I don't think it's online. >.<
I'm just using two needles and yarn, so I guess it's knitting..flat? *is a newbie knitter, if you can't tell. First project!*
I'm just wondering how to start a new color in a new row.

xp

Bucket~Turtle

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 am
Bucket~Turtle
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

._.

Ah, the pattern is actually from a book I own, and I don't think it's online. >.<
I'm just using two needles and yarn, so I guess it's knitting..flat? *is a newbie knitter, if you can't tell. First project!*
I'm just wondering how to start a new color in a new row.

xp

Hmm... are you sure this is fair isle? Are there little colored patterns throughout the stripes? It sounds just like basic stripes which would be why you're not really turning anything up on your searches. BUT that would make it easier to explain....

Just drop the old color while it's still sttached to the ball of yarn and pick up to new color and start knitting with it. Don't tie any knots or anything... you'll weave the ends in at the end of your project.

Does that help any?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am
Well, there's a heart further up the armwarmer, but that started in the third stripe, and I was having difficulty starting the second stripe, so I hadn't gotten to that yet. xp

But thank you! That did help! I'm already halfway done with it now! :3

Bucket~Turtle

heart_for_hatori

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 pm
Catcheen
heart_for_hatori
I NEED A PATTERN!!

I have no idea what a rice ball is. But if you need a ball pattern, try www.knittingpatterncentral.com! If that's not what you're looking for, please explain?

This is a riceball: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Its mostly just a 3d triangle, and i'm sorry to say i couldn't finad anything on that page you suggested sad  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:44 pm
heart_for_hatori
Catcheen
heart_for_hatori
I NEED A PATTERN!!

This is a riceball: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Its mostly just a 3d triangle, and i'm sorry to say i couldn't finad anything on that page you suggested sad

Likely there's no pattern for it then. If I were determined to make that, I would knit each side seperately and stitch up the seams. I would then duplicate stitch the red dot in the middle. I hope I gave you some help!  

Catcheen
Crew

heart_for_hatori

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:08 pm
Catcheen
heart_for_hatori
Catcheen
heart_for_hatori
I NEED A PATTERN!!

Likely there's no pattern for it then. If I were determined to make that, I would knit each side seperately and stitch up the seams. I would then duplicate stitch the red dot in the middle. I hope I gave you some help!

I will just have to give it a go and see what happens, thanks for your help blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:52 pm
I have two questions. sweatdrop

1. Even though I've been knitting since I was in grade school, I'm still very bad at it. I can do the basic stitch and hat not and make a 'cloth" it's self, but I've always wanted to go to the next step by actually making 3-D things. Small stuffed animals and hats and such. Is it just sewing pieces together? Or is it more complicated than that(I must sound dumb)?
Also, I've never been good a knitting shapes. Are there any tutorials on that?

2.When I sew, my stitches always turn out a little off. I don't have a sewing machine so I have to do everything by hand. Is there something I'm doing wrong or another way I should be sewing?
User Image  

StrawberryFuma

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:04 am
[.Nai-Kyo.]
I have two questions. sweatdrop

1. Even though I've been knitting since I was in grade school, I'm still very bad at it. I can do the basic stitch and hat not and make a 'cloth" it's self, but I've always wanted to go to the next step by actually making 3-D things. Small stuffed animals and hats and such. Is it just sewing pieces together? Or is it more complicated than that(I must sound dumb)?
Also, I've never been good a knitting shapes. Are there any tutorials on that?

2.When I sew, my stitches always turn out a little off. I don't have a sewing machine so I have to do everything by hand. Is there something I'm doing wrong or another way I should be sewing?
User Image

Well, I'm not sure what you mean my knitting shapes... Like circles and hearts? Or do you mean knitting spheres and cylinders? As for sewing, are you sewing your knitting on a sewing machine? There's not many cases where you should do that. Most all knitting needs to be sewn by hand. Try browsing around www.knittinghelp.com and see if that helps clear anything up for ya. If you still have more specific questions, feel free to ask!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:27 pm
I didn't say I'd use a sewing machine, I was just saying that I didn't have one. *w*
I was trying to ask if there's a better way for me to sew to make the stitches turn out better.

When I said knitting shapes, I meant circles and what not. I haven't been able to do it well and I was wondering if I could get some tips.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. sweatdrop
::Is extremely embarrassed::
User Image  

StrawberryFuma

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:57 pm
[.Nai-Kyo.]
I didn't say I'd use a sewing machine, I was just saying that I didn't have one. *w*
I was trying to ask if there's a better way for me to sew to make the stitches turn out better.

When I said knitting shapes, I meant circles and what not. I haven't been able to do it well and I was wondering if I could get some tips.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. sweatdrop
::Is extremely embarrassed::
User Image

Knitting a square or rectangle is obviously easy, so I won't go into that. Knitting a triangle involves shaping; either increasing or decreasing depending on which end you start with. Circles are tricky because to get a nice one, you want to knit it in the round OR use short rows.

Look here at the dishcloths. They have different shapes and can show you the general idea of how to get the end product. http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html

As for sewing, at www.knittinghelp.com, there should be a section on "seaming" or "finishing" which are the terms you're looking for.

To knit pretty much anything other than a basic scarf or wash cloth, you need to know several things. Consider this a checklist of things to master. *grin*

Cast on
Bind off
Knit stitch
Purl stitch
Increasing (M1, YO, etc.)
Decreasing (K2tog, PSSO, etc.)
Seaming (mattress stitch, whip stitch, etc.)
Knitting in the round
Short row shaping

With all that you should be able to knit almost any basic thing and lots of intermediate items as well.

I hope this helps! If you still have questions, keep asking! Text is hard to convey actions with.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff