Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Help? Sexualities (and more) defined Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PopulationGrave

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:34 pm
the goverment? biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:24 pm
That's actually pretty cool! I've never even seen half of those sexuality's!

biggrin  

koncettina

x_Toxic Fetish_x

6,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
same here  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 pm
so i would be sequential bisexual....
i have a bf and gf right now
at first, before i came out to myself, it was all guys. then it was all about the girls. now it's both.
but i'm only attracted to certain people- i will not give you any chance if i do not like your personality...
wow, i learn more about myself everyday....

and what is gender anyways? come on, if you feel like a different gender inside than what is on the outside, isn't "gender" another social norm we have learned???
-took psychology and sociology cool -  

ashalkin08

BlackWolfPoet

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:10 pm
ashalkin08
so i would be sequential bisexual....
i have a bf and gf right now
at first, before i came out to myself, it was all guys. then it was all about the girls. now it's both.
but i'm only attracted to certain people- i will not give you any chance if i do not like your personality...
wow, i learn more about myself everyday....

and what is gender anyways? come on, if you feel like a different gender inside than what is on the outside, isn't "gender" another social norm we have learned???
-took psychology and sociology cool -

That's what gender is: Learned behavior for the social expression of one's sex, which can vary through cultures, proving that it is not inherent. AKA: yes, it is a social norm. smile (Anthropology major with Sociology minor 3nodding )

Also, for the sticky, there should be an additional definition up there:

Post-label: People that find labeling themselves as gay, straight, bi, (or whatever) to be too restrictive and not descriptive enough, and so call themselves post label.

...I like it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 pm
-hrms-
I'm a "Pansexual f** Boi" - could that work? I mean, I'm not really out for the genders, but I find a total kink in gay men? Uh, a little weird there, ne? I act and dress like a guy (despite my avi's appearance), and I'm attracted to mainly gay men, but I also think that's a plus for me if I'm going out with a girl because at first glance I look like a guy..............

Whaaa-?
gonk

I think this list has people going in circles, lol!!

Written with Shades of Me

Gwion Vaughn

Shameless Man-Lover

38,550 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 am
Could we add Androphilic and Gynophilc?

Also, might we seperate gender identity from orientation on the OP?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am
Thanks for this, I was kind of confused about some of them...  

deadlymuse15

Fatima al-Faqadi

Shameless Sex Symbol

14,400 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 pm
Here's a couple more for you, sorry if they are repeats of someone else's comments, I am not gonna lie... I didn't read all the pages.

Berdache – Two-spirited; one who identifies with both a male and female soul
Bigender – The tendency to move between masculine and feminine gender-typed behavior depending on a context, expressing a male or female persona
Heteroflexible – People who identify as heterosexual, but are sometimes attracted to the same sex  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:55 pm
Kudos on this list, it's pretty good. I have a few nitpicks/common misconceptions to clear up, and I want to clarify tomboy and add mannish, Sapphic, and ally.

Berdache comes from a word for prostitute, because the colonizing Europeans believed that two-spirited people had to be slaves or prostitutes. (In the Renaissance European mindset, nobody would voluntarily choose such a life). Because of that, it is considered offensive, and two-spirit is used instead.

Intersex is not being born with "both" sexual organs. That's physically impossible. When we were all 2-week-old fetuses, we each had 2 gonads, a reproductive organ, and some tubing that connected them. We all pretty much looked the same at that point. Then our reproductive systems started developing based upon the hormones in our body and our genes. Those who were born with a normal female sex had gonads which grew into ovaries, a reproductive organ which grew into a v****a, and tubing that became fallopian tubes and a uterus. Those born with a normal male sex had their gonads become testicles, their reproductive organ become a p***s, and the tubing become their vas deferens. Those who were born intersex had a combination of the above (e.g. ovaries and a p***s, v****a and testicles) or misshapen reproductive organs. What went wrong, biologically speaking, depends upon the individual. Something of this kind goes wrong roughly 1 in 1,000 births, which makes it a lot more common than other birth defects/congenital conditions, like Down's Syndrome. So intersex is being born with neither male nor female sex.

Sex and gender are separate, of course. Sex is defined by the reproductive organs, and gender is defined by the mind. Because some people are unsure of their own gender (and because homosexual, heterosexual, gay and lesbian make assumptions about one's own sex), some people prefer androphilic and gynophilic. Androphilic = sexually attracted to men, gynophilic = sexually attracted to women. For example, if someone believed they were a gay man, and began questioning their own gender (thinking they might really be a straight woman), they might not be comfortable calling themselves gay, homosexual, or heterosexual. But they'd still be androphilic.

Butch and femme can also be used to describe gay men, and are used to discuss hetero-normativity: the tendency for all people to reflect societal norms in their personal/sexual relations. In any case, the butch partner is more stereotypically masculine: fixes car, short hair, pants, bread winner, etc. The femme partner is more stereotypically feminine: cooks dinner, long hair, dress/skirt, home maker, etc. Note that because these are based on underlying stereotypical assumptions (e.g. people in dresses are home makers, shorter hair means you can fix a car, someone in the relationship wears the pants and someone else doesn't), not everybody likes them or is okay with them.

Tomboy is a girl or young woman who is tough and athletic. It implies something about gender presentation, but not about gender identity or sexual orientation.

Mannish has not been a well-known term since the 1920's, and was applied to suffragettes and lesbians of the time. It describes a woman who dresses in a masculine style (wearing suits and pants and things). It fills the same role as metrosexual, only the opposite: instead of men who have a feminine appearance/fashion sense/personal style, these are women who have a masculine appearance/fashion sense/personal style.

Sapphic means the same thing as lesbian, but it is more historically accurate. Lesbos was an island in Greece in ancient times. And on this island there was a women-only school, and at this school there was a poet. Her name was Sappho, her poems are the earliest documentation of women loving other women. Victorian Europeans considered women who loved women to be like the people on the island of Lesbos, who Sappho's poems dealt with - hence, they were lesbians. Amusingly, the island is still around, and its name has not changed. Technically, a Lesbian is one who comes from Lesbos in the same sense that an American is one who comes from America. I have never been to the island of Lesbos, so it does not make much sense for me to pretend that is my nationality.

Gender presentation may vary widely, and is separate from gender identity. If one is a man, and comfortable being a man, this does not preclude or prevent one from wearing a dress and enjoying it. If one is a woman, and comfortable being a woman, this does not preclude or prevent one from wearing a pantsuit and enjoying it.

Ally is someone with any sexual orientation or gender identity who supports LGBTIQQA rights/equality. Queer usually implies that one is not straight, cisgendered, and gender-conforming/gender typical, but one doesn't neatly fit into any of the other categories. Most teachers, for example, do not tell their students what sort of people they like to bang - but they may tell their students they are allies.

I'm not thrilled with labels, but I like to play with words.

Soo...I have a female sex and female gender, I'm gynophilic, lesbian, homosexual, Sapphic, mannish, and I love Fudgesicles. All my brainy words for who I want to bang do not compose my entire identity. biggrin  

incandescentquill

E M T T

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 am
Good list -thumbs up-
I hadn't even heard of half of those, let alone know the definition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:35 am
thank you for posting this list! it's helpful, and interesting.
i think i've already posted a comment on this a whiiile ago, but whatever. XD

i'm a pansexual, but i would probably call myself bisexual because more people know what that means... (i haven't come out of the closet yet sweatdrop )

oh and i'm queer. (=

-PANDATUBE

patienceyeah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 pm
--->autosexual<---
--->BDSM<---
but mostly
--->femme<---

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 pm
mandasexual
its a trend
you should try it