Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

Vly The Flower Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:02 pm
Authors I've Read:
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Dyan Sheldon
Vladimir Nabokov
and probably more that I don't feel like getting up and looking for.
XD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:16 am
DreamerSpirit
I'm currently working on my summer reading....

1984 by George Orwell

Utopia by Sir Thomas Moore

Is that for school at all may I ask? Because both of those books are on our extension english prescribed text list. Utopia, ug, what a pompous git.

I do still read; I have always read. It's just a part of who I am.
I do also hate school, and have always hated school.
That has nothing to do with the particular school I'm at but to do with the syllabus that we are tested on. It's mediocre and repetitive, basically just regurgitation to gratify the board of studies egos on "How has your understanding broadened?" from their stupid course.
Then they wonder why teenagers are so bored at school

The texts that we study during school I don't enjoy due to the fact that the constant over analysis deconstructs a piece of writing to excessive fragmentation that is then unable to be appreciated by anyone.
The board of studies seems unable to understand the fact then when someone is writing a piece of text, it is not often that they announce "I think I shall insert this metaphor in here, to give the audience the idea that my protagonist is intoxicated to the point of delusion."
Well bravo, but it doesn't work like that.

I don't however, think that reading is everyones path to enlightenment.
As I said before, I read because I enjoy it, and there are plenty of people who don't read for enjoyment, and are some of the most intelligent people I know. (albeit not intellectuals but a different kind of intelligent)

Thats my opinion smile end rant  

2on

Oni-taku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:52 am
I do a lot of reading in my free time. Mostly going over my poems or getting in to a new novel to a hot cup of tea and just relaxing or starting to write a book or sketch what ever provides a good diversion from my madness  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:43 am
I absolutely adore reading. I always keep a novel with me and usually have one or more in my car as well. And I can spend hours at a bookstore- reading, browsing, and the like.

It's a shame people don't read as much as they used too...I have three sisters and only one of them really likes to read.

Currently I'm reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. ^^  

Exquisite Cadavre

1,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

TheOriginalNonEmo

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:24 am
I've just finished reading the original Grimms Fairy tales, I think everyone should ... some of them have the most random endings ... Nb. Snow White is called Snowdrop and Cinderella is called Ashputtell ... Talking of fairy tales .. what does everyone els ethink of "The Bloody Chamber" by Angela Carter and "Good Bones" by Margaret Atwood, My Advanced Higher english disertation is going to be a discussion of how modern short story writers subvert fairy tale archetypes for a variety of purposes focussing on the the three books I've mentioned ... I haven't read the later two yet and I was wondering if anyone else has.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:32 pm
i read all the time hell every picture of me other than the ones at school has me with my nose in a book. I send more time at the bookstore then i do at home. I also play the flute. I have been playing for about 8 years now and i sometimes write my own music, but i am never happy with what ever i write.  

pneoqueen

Business Fairy

9,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100

dakjdsancics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:02 am
I read, and play a little violin and guitar, and have played the double bass for 4 years...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:47 pm
I love to read just about any type of book-especially the classics, Viking/Egyptian/European Historical Fiction, and just about any book about vampires. Right now I'm reading the Scarlet Letter and I just finished the Grapes of Wrath. I don't really like school because of the unbelievable amount of homework assigned, but I do like the challenge of taking as many AP courses as I can. I don't play any instrument, but I've been in Chorus for 5 years.  

necromancy14

[lady joker]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:03 pm
I actually do read. I have an extensive collection of book, over 50 in count (not counting the ones in my attic due to space) and I consider the book store my unoffical home.

I used to play the flute until the company repossesed it durring my last month of middle school and i am currently playing bass not with any band but with family.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:30 pm
Currently, I'm reading the last Harry Potter book.
After that, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland.
Then I'm not sure.

-Sylvia Blank Page-

Sautana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:17 am
Yup I still do reading and drawing is the only thing that calms me down in this cruel world evil  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 am
i still read i'm reading this new searies of book it's suposibly the new harry potter but the auther is Stephenie Meyer The first book is called "twilight" her second book it called "New Moon" and her third book is called "eclipse" it's about a human girl and a vampire and they fall in love. The human girl Bella is always has to be saved by the vampire Edward and she doesn't want edward to save her any more. So she wants to be with him forever and Bella keeps asking Edward if she can be turnd into a vampire but he dosen't want her to be a monster like him.
for anyone who likes to read good vampire and love storyies this is the book to read when i first started to read this book i couldn't stop reading because it was so awsome and there are a few sad parts in the book that made me cry but i definately recamend this book to every one.  

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:22 am
oh ya i forgot i play guitar and piano i'm in a band called the Black Roses but its a working progress.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:00 pm
even though no one is going to see this...
!. you CANT read anime... anime is the animation of manga format, so you read mangas, not anime...
2 i still read, and enjoy everysecond of it!
3 there is such thing as a library.

thank you  

Toasterladd

broken_hearts_beat17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:10 pm
if i could live in a library or a bookstore i would. heart
i cant believe a the amounts of people who hate reading... its horrible! crying
reading is on of my favorite things to do.
i also play flute and have been doing that for about 4 years.
i've tried writing my own music, but sadly, i'm better with words.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games