Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
SW Games Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 177 178 179 180 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tiderion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:15 pm
Computer games are just really getting into creating games that have interactive environments. Because of how the modern world is, most guns like so are shooters and the environment reacts by exploding. Some games you can pick things up and throw them. Some games you can walk up to things and utilize them (press buttons or build things). If any of you have ever tried rendering (not even programming these things in) you would know it is difficult to create stuff to litter a field of play with. Coding it would be a lot harder.

Note that the Force ability of tossing things at people is the same control power necessary to push and pull things. While these powers are not grandious and amazing they are highly more vital as they contribute easily to gameplay (solving puzzles, un/blocking paths). Putting in powers that are fun are one thing. Putting in powers that are actually important to the game are another. As a programmer with a deadline, you do not get the opportunity to experiment. Code that is unfinished is hazardous to a game. Any beta tester knows that.

Overall, stop complaining. There is more to why such things aren't in games. Good gamers know it has taken forever to get throwing a grenade right so don't expect miracles overnight. Be happy you have Force Grip and can throw people off bridges.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:39 pm
i know that nothing happens overnight. But that doesn't mean we have to be satisfied of missing one of the coolest abilities ever known...  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

jedi_master_tenku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:03 pm
If it bothers people so much, they should go pay the ridiculous amounts of money it takes to go to the colleges that teach all of the classes for gaming and get a degree in it, then they can go make a game for themselves.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:26 pm
except I already have my carreer put in front of me, and i suck at anything that involves programming. I understand it, but just have no ability to do it.

Meanwhilst, in another land:

WoW.... or SW:Galaxies?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

jedi_master_tenku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:24 pm
Yeah, I'm going to a school that offers all the gaming degrees, but that's not what I'm going for. I'm going for all the special effects CG stuff, and hopefully some of the sound and video editing. Though if I get the chance, I'm gonna try for a few gaming related classes.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:05 pm
WoW is a lot better than Galaxies in my opinion, gamewise that is. I am not a WC fan however so I won't play it too much. I wasn't that impressed with Galazies either though. Fun it is, but not my style. I liked City of Heroes more.  

Tiderion

Flamer42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:48 pm
Galaxies in very complex....and expensive....  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:02 pm
Tiderion
WoW is a lot better than Galaxies in my opinion, gamewise that is. I am not a WC fan however so I won't play it too much. I wasn't that impressed with Galazies either though. Fun it is, but not my style. I liked City of Heroes more.

You waiting for City of Villians?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

jedi_master_tenku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:53 pm
Nelowulf
Tiderion

They're doing that? That sounds cool.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 pm
I know a few people who would wait til midnight came around on the night of its release to get that one.  

Flamer42

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:52 pm
i rented battlefront for ps2 today...it owns....if i had the money id buy it for pc..but i dont sadly...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:58 am
Flamer42
Galaxies in very complex....and expensive....
man you dont know how much i wanna play galaxies but i cant aford to buy it man i need a job  

NickCpointless

NickCpointless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:04 am
has anyone seen the new star wars game empire at war man that looks good i liked galatic battlegrounds but this looks ten times better xd oh i cant wait star wars really has been giving it full attention to games now  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:39 pm
This might be a bit of a jump, but:
Okay, so I've finished KOTOR 2 about 6 times now. What is a gamer with knowlage of coding to do? Well, that's obvious. Grab the disc, rip the code, and play with it to create new effects! Now, an interesting thing is, apparently KOTOR 2 discs were actuallly burned over KOTOR discs! Due to this, all the information from the first game is actually locked within the second game! But I got to that later. What I did first was hack into the HK-50 lab. The unfinished mission is actually contained in the source code, and while unfinished and buggy, it is a bunch of fun. After that, I started work on removing restrictions. Sure, the graphic on the bottom right of the screen doesn't work right, but having all the party members you want, a batallion of Jedi, droids, and some blaster wielders following you is cool. Also, unlocking the KOTOR characters as well creates sheer awesomeness. The voice files don't work right, I can't seem to fix that yet, so they just sound like random screeches and bleeps when they talk, but all the KOTOR characters are there with you in the second game! Also, the planets from the first KOTOR are in there, so I can go to the first Korriban, go to the surface and beat the Academy with Bastila, Jolee, Juhani, Handmaiden(Jedi), Atton(Jedi), Bao Dur(Jedi), Mira(Jedi),Kreia, and HK-47, times 2(Both the old and new HK-47s, from each game). Then I can just hop across time and go to Korriban 5 years in the future, and kill Darth Sidious with the same team(minus Kreia). Coding is fun.  

TehCorn

Tiderion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:31 pm
jedi_master_tenku
Nelowulf
Tiderion

They're doing that? That sounds cool.
city of villians has been in the works for a long time... since like... june. but they keep backing the launch date. i quit city of heroes a while ago...im not really looking to start villians but i might look into it

battlefront... only buy it for pc if you are going to be playing it online and have a great connection...otherwise rent it for ps2.

empire at war... mm nope havent seen it actually wtf...

the demo is out or whatever for republic commando btw and apparently its really badass though i havent tried it myself yet. im only on 56k right now  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 177 178 179 180 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games