Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

S_Sully

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:29 pm
Imaginary Tears
b0k5 5uk 101 n 3vry1 n05 1t

1f u k33p +yp!n |!k3 +h!$ +h3n y r u in +h!$ gu!ld

Man, that took forever to type, I'm sorry but that was just bothering me so.

Anyways,
Book Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden is a thought-provoking story set in of the not too distant future that explores the choices and challenges faced by an early adolescent boy as he struggles to find his place in a world in which his existence is illegal. Luke, a third child, lives in a future where each family is allowed to have only two children. Because his parents broke the population laws when they let him live, Luke must stay hidden in his house, has never been to school, must eat in the attic stairwell to avoid being seen, and must spend his days with nothing to do except re-read a few old books...

Margaret Peterson Haddix  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:26 pm
Dragons of a Fallen Sun  

Luxx Aeternam

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:27 pm
Can the book be posted by anyone?

I'll assume so.

The View From Saturday, by E. L. Konigsburg (I mentioned it recently in a post and it's super good).

From Publishers Weekly
Glowing with humor and dusted with magic, this contemporary novel explores the ties that bind the four members of a championship academic quiz-bowl team. Sixth-grade teacher/coach Mrs. Olinski, teaching for the first time since becoming paraplegic, proudly observes her students' victories from the confines of a wheelchair. She is not sure what propelled her to choose the members of her team, nor does she fully comprehend the secret of their success in repeatedly beating older, more sophisticated competitors. Readers will be equally mystified until the backgrounds of the foursome (who call themselves The Souls) unfold during a series of first-person narratives that reveal the links between the students' private lives. Newbery Medalist Konigsburg (From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler) orchestrates a stunning quartet of harmoniously blended voices. She expresses the individual struggles of each of her characters while showing how they unite to reach a common goal. Wrought with deep compassion and a keen sense of balance, her imaginative novel affirms the existence of small miracles in everyday life.

It's meant for pre-teens, and it'll be easy for everyone on here, but please read it, it's ******** awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:59 pm
Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky  

Trancina

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

randomfuzzy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:06 am
The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Cavanan.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:00 pm
The Last Dragon, by Sylvia de Mari

From Amazon.com:
Yorshkrunsquarkljolnerstri, "Yorsh" for short, is the last elf. He lost his mother at a young age, and his grandmother sent him away while she remained in their house and drowned. Though he is one born lately, as he so often reminds his companions, he has already experienced much misery. As Yorsh and the two humans he meets travel through the city of Daligar, he reads a prophecy concerning the last dragon and the last elf breaking the circle. He immediately recognizes himself as the last elf, and knows he must find the last dragon. Armed with his father's traveling map and the support of two humans shunned for helping him, Yorsh sets out to find this last dragon and break the circle.

This book strikes a delicate balance between pathos and humor. Yorsh's disdain for what he perceives as human lack of intelligence is juxtaposed with his own naivete, leading to misunderstandings that while intended to be funny, could become grating if the book relied on them exclusively for its humor. Fortunately, this sort of comedy is just embellishment on a book that is of great substance. As Yorsh grows, he learns about the world around him, and his eyes are opened.

At the heart of the book is the idea that you cannot trust your own preconceived notions about people you've never met. Yorsh's ideas about humans, humans' ideas about elves, and everyone's ideas about dragons turn out to be extremely off-base. Around this theme, Silvana de Mari builds a world populated with characters both endearing and terrifying. This is a dystopian society, but its children live lives filled with hope, despite their desperate conditions. Yorsh, the last dragon, and these children unite to change their world for the better.

While The Last Dragon gets off to a slow start, its characters are so touching that it's worth it to read all the way to the end. Yorsh and his companions are darlings, and you want to see how they fare in their quest to improve their world. I would recommend this book to lovers of fantasy, as well as readers who may need some hope in a dark time of life.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:03 pm
S_Sully
Imaginary Tears
b0k5 5uk 101 n 3vry1 n05 1t

1f u k33p +yp!n |!k3 +h!$ +h3n y r u in +h!$ gu!ld

Man, that took forever to type, I'm sorry but that was just bothering me so.

Anyways,
Book Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden is a thought-provoking story set in of the not too distant future that explores the choices and challenges faced by an early adolescent boy as he struggles to find his place in a world in which his existence is illegal. Luke, a third child, lives in a future where each family is allowed to have only two children. Because his parents broke the population laws when they let him live, Luke must stay hidden in his house, has never been to school, must eat in the attic stairwell to avoid being seen, and must spend his days with nothing to do except re-read a few old books...

Margaret Peterson Haddix

Oh! I've read that, it's actually a pretty good series altogether, though I'm not sure if I've finished them all...

Anyway, do like the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series?  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:49 pm
Anybody here read J.D. Robb's In Death series? I think the first one is Naked in Death. It's a great series about a cop in the very believable and not-so-distant future. The crimes are enthralling and keep you guessing but I found these books more interesting because of how the author depicted the future. They face the same problems as us and live lives that are pretty much the same. There's a lot more technology and it was really interesting to see what it is and how people deal with it. Like I said, believable and interesting!  

Annikaya

Ksenia Sergeevina

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:35 pm
I Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

That's the correct title, with the right grammar and everything. Don't tell me is should be "I'll speak pretty one day." That's wrong. You'll understand if you read the book.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:41 pm
My sister has that book...

But, excuse me if I'm wrong, isn't it "Me Talk Pretty One Day," not "I Talk Pretty One Day?"  

Organic Shadows

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:00 am
Have any of you read The Last Book in the Universe?

It takes place in the future, after earthquakes have destroyed everything.

Hold on, here's the actual backing:

"'If you're reading this, it must be a thousand years from now.' Nobody reads anymore. Why bother, when you can just use a mindprobe needle and shoot all the images and excitement into your brain? I've heard of books, but they were long before I was born, in the backtimes before the Big Shake, when everything was supposedly perfect, and everybody lived rich.
Personally, I doubt the backtimes ever existed. It's like a story you tell yourself to make you feel better. As if having a past makes the future somehow worth believing in.
In real life, nobody comes to your rescue. Believe me, I know. But then I met Ryter, this old gummy who had a lot of crazy ideas. Together we tried to change the world."

"Philbrick...has again created a compelling set of characters that engage the reader with their courage and kindness in a painful world that offers hope..." --Kirkus Reviews

"This fast-paced adventure...will have readers musing over humanity's future." --Booklist

"Enthralling, thought-provoking, and unsettling..." --VOYA  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 pm
I, Luicifer
By Glen Duncan  

Urban Harlequin

Urban Harlequin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 pm
CyberRhino
Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Mm..good stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:03 am
A must have for any grammarian:
Eats, Shoots and Leaves or Eats Shoots and Leaves By Lynne Truss.
Whichever way you prefer it.  

The Strix

Digital Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 am
Right now, I'm reading Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I think it is classic.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff