Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

EmWah
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:13 pm
Yep. Soft drinks. Or sometimes people call them fizzy drink, but that's mainly older people I find.

Dunno about the school thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:32 pm
The problem with that school you're talking about, is that what you might call Colleges in Canada, are called Universities in Australia. There are a lot of 'Secondary Colleges' in Melbourne (I went to one). They're not Universities, just High Schools, years 7-12.

If you can remember the name of the College, you can check this list, but appart from that I've never heard of it.  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:56 pm
WellzY
The problem with that school you're talking about, is that what you might call Colleges in Canada, are called Universities in Australia. There are a lot of 'Secondary Colleges' in Melbourne (I went to one). They're not Universities, just High Schools, years 7-12.

If you can remember the name of the College, you can check this list, but appart from that I've never heard of it.

Thanks, Wellzy. Unfortunately I was never given a name for the school. I was just told it was an Author's College. *pouts* Oh well, maybe I'll just have to do some old fashioned research on the issue. 4laugh

And on to my next question! Chrissy! It's a comin'! I want to know all about how Aussies celebrate the holiday season (in the summer, no less!) from what a typical Christmas meal consists of, right up to what songs you all have (I know all about Eight White Roos already, and I love that tune *squee*). Do you spend the day at the beach, or out at a park for a picnic? I know down there it's all about family, a lot moreso than pressies (which is the opposite case up here, sadly), so tell me what the 'typical' (yeah, like those exist *winks*) Aussie family does for Chrissy.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:32 pm
Eight White Roos? Never heard of that one. Six White Boomers on the other hand I have heard of. 3nodding

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:37 am
bohemian_wild_child
Eight White Roos? Never heard of that one. Six White Boomers on the other hand I have heard of. 3nodding

Never heard of either of them. Appart from the usual Christmas songs which are probably universal to the English speaking world, the only charactersitically Australian song I know is our version of The Twelve Days of Christmas. I learnt it from a very young age.

For me, Christmas is also spent with family. One year, it's my Mother's family, then next is my Father's. This year it's my Father's family, who live in Ballarat. They're religious, so they always go to Church, and my mother, sister and I used to as well, but we don't anymore. My father still does whenever we're in Ballarat. I might go this year, simply because it reminds me of Christmas when I was a child: the smell and the atmosphere and everything.

Food at either place is fairly traditional: turkey, pork, vegies. Sometimes we also have smoked salmon and prawns, which is slowly becoming more traditional as well. My father's mother makes a traditional Christmas Plumb Pudding with brandy cream, but my mother's mother doesn't. Too much effort for one lady I guess, seeing as my grandfather is dead.

Because we stay the night in Ballarat for Christmas when we go, the same day or the next day might also involve a BBQ, but certainly isn't tradition.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:43 am
BeMuled MissBeth

And on to my next question! Chrissy! It's a comin'! I want to know all about how Aussies celebrate the holiday season (in the summer, no less!) from what a typical Christmas meal consists of, right up to what songs you all have (I know all about Eight White Roos already, and I love that tune *squee*). Do you spend the day at the beach, or out at a park for a picnic? I know down there it's all about family, a lot moreso than pressies (which is the opposite case up here, sadly), so tell me what the 'typical' (yeah, like those exist *winks*) Aussie family does for Chrissy.

I've never heard of the Eight White Roos...but like bohemian, I know the "Six White Boomers" along with the Australia version of the 12 days of Christmas and Christmas In Australia (a version of Jingle Bells) there is also an Australian version of "Deck the Halls" and its like "Deck the halls with bows of wattle, fa la la la la"

And Christmas in my family is usually spent at a Relies house, or sometimes at ours. We always have a christmas lunch, and we eat like Pork and Ham usually, along with roast potatoes and gravy (mmm) and vegies. And we all pop crackers and usually wear those Dorky Paper Hats inside them while we eat. We also usually have the Plum Pudding, but I hate it so I never eat it...then depending on how much food we ate at Lunch, we might have a BBQ in the evening or we'll have it the next day (The Boxing Day BBQ) but we always have a BBQ on Boxing Day.

Oh yeah, and after our Christmas lunch we'll sit around for a while then all go swim in the pool (depending on who's house we are at) or if we are near the beach we'll go there.

Sleep Beauty

6,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:55 pm
Are there a lot of people on the beach? I've never been to the beach on Christmas day.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:56 pm
BeMuled MissBeth

Christmas for us usually consists of either spending with family or clsoe family friends. We don't go to the beach because most of us burn to easily (and friends have a pool).

We get up, have breakky, open presents and then start lunch (and start drinking). "Girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime!". Lunch for us is usually cold prawns, cold peg ham (yum) roast beef or chicken (sometimes done in the barbecue because it leaves the meat more moist) salad. We always wear the funny hats in the cracker thingies. If we're with family or friends, the kids usually watch the oldies get drunk and sleepy, which is always good fun.

I just love Christmas day because it's usually so relaxed and you get to see family. I love catching up with my extended family.

Frog Juice

7,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Signature Look 250

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:35 am
Six White Boomers ... that's the one. Well, it's about a roo ... I remembered that much. Eheh sweatdrop 4laugh

Righto, so Chrissy there isn't much different than up here (when it comes to the traditional meals, that is). Although, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I wouldn't mind if someone typed out those lyrics for 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' and 'Christmas in Australia' as well as the Aussie version of 'Deck the Halls'. Please! 4laugh

Spending the holidays in Oz sounds much better than up here. In fact, it reminds me of what Christmas was like before my dad died about 10 years ago. Hmm ... maybe someday if I have the money I'll go to Oz during the festive season.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 am
My family normally has a BBQ on Crissy x'DD
(we have BBQ for almost every family thing we do now I think about it whee )
Some familys do go to the beach later on in the day, my sister wants us to go to the beach this year actually (thats after the BBQ of corse x'DD)
and a few times we've had BBQ at a park or at someone elses place its a very family orentated thing (well at least for my family ^__^)

BOOnicorn

Aged Gaian

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:22 am
Orright! Chrissy is over, time to move on.

Who's lookin' forward to New Year's? Lucky you get to celebrate it a day before we do. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:11 pm
Weirdness .... it says Wellzy has the last post ... but I don't see one from him .... I think my topic is haunted. ninja  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

Frog Juice

7,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:29 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
Orright! Chrissy is over, time to move on.

Who's lookin' forward to New Year's? Lucky you get to celebrate it a day before we do. lol

I had to work on New Year's eve, but we did finiah around 10.45 which was awesome!

However the party I rocked up too, everyone was pretty mucb pissed by the time I got there (around 11.40) which seems normal for them. There was also swimming in the pool and watching the fire works to TV, drunken cleavage shots etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:44 am
BeMuled MissBeth
Weirdness .... it says Wellzy has the last post ... but I don't see one from him .... I think my topic is haunted. ninja

Oh yes, I posted, then deleted it. I had quoted the lyrics from our version of 12 Days of Christmas but then realised it was a different version. I didn't even know there was a different version. Then I couldn't find a copy of the version I know which I could copy and paste, and I didn't want to just post the URL and blah-blah-blah.  

WellzY
Crew

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas