Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

StrawberryFuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:26 pm
Thank you very much.

Sorry for asking such silly questions. sweatdrop
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:20 am
Do you know anything about jelly yarn. The only thing I found on it was were to buy it and patterns for purses.  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:30 am
AccentualWolf
Do you know anything about jelly yarn. The only thing I found on it was were to buy it and patterns for purses.

You already know what I do, then. *grin* I imagine it'd be a pain in the rear to knit with because wouldn't it stick to the needles? I have no personal experience with the stuff.

On a side note, I used to make lanyard stuff with the round stretchy stuff called S'getti String. I'm imagining the jelly yarn is like that, but I could be way off.

Sorry I'm no help!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:25 pm
i love to knit!
im knitting a bonnet right now..
but can i have help with the cable cast on?  

Thalassa_necessity

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:58 am
ceejbagoong
i love to knit!
im knitting a bonnet right now..
but can i have help with the cable cast on?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

Midway down the page!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:42 pm
Well, I've been able to knit a few things(You know. Scarfs, stuffed animals, etc.), but I've been having some trouble sewing.

The stitches just seem so...blah. I've started to make a stuffed animal(quite the large one actually. :0), but I'm afraid that my sewing will make it look terrible.

Any suggestions?
User Image  

StrawberryFuma

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:18 pm
[.Nai-Kyo.]
Well, I've been able to knit a few things(You know. Scarfs, stuffed animals, etc.), but I've been having some trouble sewing.

The stitches just seem so...blah. I've started to make a stuffed animal(quite the large one actually. :0), but I'm afraid that my sewing will make it look terrible.

Any suggestions?
User Image

About midway down this page are videos and instructions on seaming!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

Hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:08 pm
Thank you very much.User Image  

StrawberryFuma

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:09 pm
I was looking at a yarn, and i think what i want to do is knit two colors together. How do i figure out what size needles i'd need to use? (note: i don't have the yarn yet, i was just wondering if theres a good way to do it.)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:52 am
kochi~mochi
I was looking at a yarn, and i think what i want to do is knit two colors together. How do i figure out what size needles i'd need to use? (note: i don't have the yarn yet, i was just wondering if theres a good way to do it.)

I'd have to know what type and size of yarn it is. *grin* I'm thinking you mean knit two strands at one time? If the yarn you're doubling is worsted weight, then you'd use a needle size equivilant to a bulky/chunky weight.

2 fingering = 1 sock
2 sock = 1 sport
2 sport = 1 worsted
2 worsted = 1 bulky
2 bulky = 1 extra bulky

those are just general conversions, not exact guages. There are also in between weights suck as aran and DK.

Is this helping or just way too much info?  

Catcheen
Crew

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:41 pm
Catcheen
kochi~mochi

I'd have to know what type and size of yarn it is. *grin* I'm thinking you mean knit two strands at one time? If the yarn you're doubling is worsted weight, then you'd use a needle size equivilant to a bulky/chunky weight.

2 fingering = 1 sock
2 sock = 1 sport
2 sport = 1 worsted
2 worsted = 1 bulky
2 bulky = 1 extra bulky

those are just general conversions, not exact guages. There are also in between weights suck as aran and DK.

It helps. 3nodding Or at least, it makes sense.
This is the yarn i was wanting to use, knittng both the purple and periwinkle together. My sister was saying that you add the needle sizes together, which would give me around a size 10-12.... does that make sense to you? It happens to be a DK weight, so its hard to say with what you gave me....  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 pm
kochi~mochi
Catcheen
kochi~mochi

2 fingering = 1 sock
2 sock = 1 sport
2 sport = 1 worsted
2 worsted = 1 bulky
2 bulky = 1 extra bulky

This is the yarn i was wanting to use, knittng both the purple and periwinkle together. My sister was saying that you add the needle sizes together, which would give me around a size 10-12.... does that make sense to you? It happens to be a DK weight, so its hard to say with what you gave me....

Hmmm... DK is between sport and worsted, so a bulky would be about right. I think a 10 would be a pretty good guage with that. If that looks too loose, then I'd go with a 9. An 11 or 13 seems a bit too much overkill.

So yeah, my final answer is a 9 or 10... though i'm leaning toward the 9.  

Catcheen
Crew

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 pm
Catcheen
kochi~mochi
Catcheen
kochi~mochi

2 fingering = 1 sock
2 sock = 1 sport
2 sport = 1 worsted
2 worsted = 1 bulky
2 bulky = 1 extra bulky

Hmmm... DK is between sport and worsted, so a bulky would be about right. I think a 10 would be a pretty good guage with that. If that looks too loose, then I'd go with a 9. An 11 or 13 seems a bit too much overkill.

So yeah, my final answer is a 9 or 10... though i'm leaning toward the 9.

sank you~!
I was thinking that myself... Looks like i'll have to factor in some new needles into the project cost... The gods hate me, i just lost my job and now i need new needles. >< *mutters and works on a different project*  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:23 pm
Since I'm making a fairy amigurumi doll, I kinda need to know how to crochet the wings.
I don't know how to crochet one whole piece with both wings, so I've decided to make each wing speparate, with one piece having two petals.
Therefore, to sum it up, my amigurumi doll will have 4 wings but only 2 wing parts. (I hope that's easy to follow.. >.<)
I need to figure out how to make the lumps/bumps/curves of the wings, so do you have any ideas or sites to help me out? Any suggestions?

(I plan to make the pattern myself, which to me is a lot harder than it seemed...) sweatdrop  

Sugar Bandit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:00 am
Clear Bubble
Since I'm making a fairy amigurumi doll, I kinda need to know how to crochet the wings.
I don't know how to crochet one whole piece with both wings, so I've decided to make each wing speparate, with one piece having two petals.
Therefore, to sum it up, my amigurumi doll will have 4 wings but only 2 wing parts. (I hope that's easy to follow.. >.<)
I need to figure out how to make the lumps/bumps/curves of the wings, so do you have any ideas or sites to help me out? Any suggestions?

(I plan to make the pattern myself, which to me is a lot harder than it seemed...) sweatdrop

Could you make lace wings using some shell stitches? You might have to starch the wings or use a product called Stiffy (yeah, I still giggle too) to make them firm and hold up on their own. You could find almost any lace doily pattern and alter it. You could also look for little crocheted snowflakes to alter as well.

I kinda also don't know what you mean by "lumps, bumps,curves" so I'm throwing this suggestion out blindly. *grin*  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff