Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
SW Games Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 177 178 179 180 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:14 pm
Its just TOR now.
The Old Republic  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:50 pm
stare Is there going to be a ToR mmo? -tries not to freak out- I don't play mmo's you have to pay for, but if ToR was one of the ones you have to pay for I'd would pay to play that with out a doubt. eek  

Ryessena

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Yes, ToR is an MMO, but apparently an MMO in which you can aquire your own minion.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Interesting I'm gonna go do some investigating then.  

Ryessena

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:08 pm
Got my hands on the Clone Wars campaign guide.
I'd say I'd rate it a 4/5 stars. It introduces followers, rules for mass battles, Fettclones and Kaleesh as playable races, the political workings and arrangement of both the Republic and Separatist Governments, a slew of NPCs and vehicles, stats for new weaponry; its got the quality you'd expect from the books thus far.
Downsides: despite having the clones as a playable race, I couldnt find any stats for their armor or for whatever armor varieties you would have found among the more specialized troops. That and they give an inaccurate number for the total GAR. And what about the stats for the clone weapons? Like the Z-6. None there. They also give you no help if you wanted to play as a droid for the sep forces.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:31 pm
Speaking of campaign guides, I was at a friend's house and a friend of his came over with his KotOR campaign guide, which he let me look through. He also asked if I wanted to join in on the RP sessions he has with other people. I'm still thinking about it.  

Rodyn

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:32 pm
How inflated is the size of the GAR in the book?

Most sources I've seen make the total number of clones just a few million, compared to a vastly larger droid force.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:42 pm
Three million is what they give.
That seems too small for the high casualties they suffer accross a galaxy spanning war.
Karen Traviss set this number although lucasfilm has stated they will not present a fixed number of clones.

The Republic seems to depend entirely on this clone army for everything from fighter pilots to riflemen to navy personel. Three Million for the entire number of clones is woefully small for thsi to be applicable.

However, to say that the Clones ever hold a numerical superiority in any engagement with droids is an outright lie. Droids can be cranked out incredibly fast, especially the B1's. They can also be replaced as fast too. On Geonosis alone it looked like they were cranking out a legion a minute. Thats just one planet.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm
Rodyn
Speaking of campaign guides, I was at a friend's house and a friend of his came over with his KotOR campaign guide, which he let me look through. He also asked if I wanted to join in on the RP sessions he has with other people. I'm still thinking about it.

You ask Ral or Johnny if you see 'em. They'll tell you the game is fun.
If you're interested in playing I'm running a game in the outer rim section of the guild, though I need to get back to posting in it. sweatdrop
Its one of the best incarnations of the RPG since the old D6 system.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:11 pm
Cale Darksun
Three million is what they give.
That seems too small for the high casualties they suffer accross a galaxy spanning war.
Karen Traviss set this number although lucasfilm has stated they will not present a fixed number of clones.

The Republic seems to depend entirely on this clone army for everything from fighter pilots to riflemen to navy personel. Three Million for the entire number of clones is woefully small for thsi to be applicable.

However, to say that the Clones ever hold a numerical superiority in any engagement with droids is an outright lie. Droids can be cranked out incredibly fast, especially the B1's. They can also be replaced as fast too. On Geonosis alone it looked like they were cranking out a legion a minute. Thats just one planet.

However Clone casualties could be much lighter then they appear to be in the films. We certainly see lots of clones go down, but with the armor and physical training they've recieved they could only be out of the fight, we have no idea what the ratio of killed/wounded we see. If the armor was as effective against blasters as modern kevlar is against slug fire you're talking about less than 10% of observed casualties as fatalities. I'd suspect actual deaths compose less than 5% of casualties.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm
Then there are the cartoons, the comics, and the books.
Hell, in the CG series, they lose three venators a week apparently, or at least 2 clones an episode.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:16 pm
It is quite annoying, isn't it. However I think the 3 million clones is accurate. The films, books, and cartoons document the tip of the spear, not the huge reserve forces from the Republic Navy or the Loyalist Planetary Defense Forces that would be the bulk of the Republic reserves.

Those same forces made the vast majority of Imperial troops Stormtroopers. Which we know isn't true.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 pm
What reserve forces? The only military presence the Republic had was the Judicial Department, where the majority of Republic Naval Personel came from. there was no navy, no army, nothing. Just a small space fleet that was as intimidating to powers like the Trade Federation as Nato forces are to the US Military.
In the Comics theres mention of other planetary forces but in the books, movies, and cartoons they state that they use Clones almost exclusively.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:23 pm
Add up planetary defense forces kept by member planets (Naboo is a good example, plus large systems have enormous defense forces Kuat for example) and that the Republic navy would have been really quite large in order to simply conduct police actions in the space under republic rule.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 pm
I dont think you recall just how small the naboo defense force was, Stellar.
At best they were a security force, numbering no more than perhaps a thousand personel in the most favorable account and more likely to be more aroun half that number in strength. They had at most 12-24 fighters at their disposal and only had hand weapons and crowd control land speeders undesigned for military action.

Dont you remembr how easily the Trade Federation blockaded and invaded the planet? In a single day they had captured the entire world.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 177 178 179 180 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games