Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keeko1642

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:47 pm
Good Omens
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

I'm reading it right now. It's a good book, full of grammar and comedy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 am
Thirteen from Scholastic is good.

There are thirteen short, thriller stories from thirteen separate authors. The authors include Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, Diane Hoh, and R. L. Stine.  

Sorinchako

I Am Mr Black

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:51 pm
Keeko1642
Good Omens

[Trigger fingers entwined...]

Ooh... I read that book a few weeks ago.
My cousin gave it to me for Christmas. XD
Amazing.
-----
This week: The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner.

Summary: It's really almost impossible to summarize the plot of this book, as Faulkner uses his trademark stream of consciousness writing style. Basically, the book revolves around three boys and their obsession with their sister, Caddy. It goes deeper to explore the disintegration of the Southern upper class since the Civil War.

Opinion: This book was amazing, though exceedingly hard to understand at first. If one will stick with it and read it till the end, one will come away with a sense of awe toward Faulkner's ability to weave a story.
-----
<3

[...I knew this was our time.]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:53 am
I'm not sure if this was said in any past pages because I don't have time to view 'em all but I'll place it in anyway.

Title: Neverwhere
Author: Neil Gaiman

Opinions: Well, all in all it was a good book. It's also very likely to happen if asked to choose one book in a list with the most probability. It's got a lot of action and adventure to it. The story's in depth and focuses a lot on the main character. I mean, creatures living under London is possible!

Desann4

Himeko Makimachi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:27 am
I hope this wasn't mentioned in a previous post:

the curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon

Yes, the title is supposed to be in lowercase. The narrator and protagonist of the story is Christopher John Francis Boone, an autistic 15-year-old boy. The plot is mainly centered around Christopher's quest to discover the murderer of his neighboor's dog. Haddon cleverly portrays how autistic people process information, and writes in a way that both fascinates the reader and forces him/her to think outside of the box and critically analyze the world. The novel is wonderfully insightful about the problems in our modern society, and it does a superb job of creating empathy in the reader's heart for Christopher.

I'm pretty bad at writing summaries, so here's the link to an excerpt if you want to check it out yourself.

Read Excerpt  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 am
The Eight
By: Katherine Neville

It has pretty much everything packed into one kick-a** book.
Action, Adventure, Comedy, and a tiny bit of Romance.

I love it.
.::} heart {::.

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Tuskafel

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:50 am
Journey to Sorrow's End
by: Wendy & Richard Pini

I finally got my hands on a copy of the Elfquest novel. Within 3 pages I was captivated by the extent of detail and feeling the novelized version brings to the story. I already own the entire Elfquest comic series, so it was just amazing to be able to read a novel and get that extra layer out of the story.

I have to admit it's a little childish as far as my usual reading material, but none the less I am a huge fan of Elfquest and even that can't perturb my feelings about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:32 pm
"Stalker by Faye Kellerman."

Chthonic Catnip

Bloodsucker

Kairi_12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:53 pm
Sorry, but I don't like reading novels. Just mangas. sad

I did read Children of the River by Linda Crew. It's one of the only books I have had some liking for ever in my life. Except when I was little, I loved the Wishbone series. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:29 pm
Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Vampire romance-ish adventure thing, with the main character as an average sort of young woman. Rae is a baker for her family's resturaunt. She gets up at 4 every morning, has not life and doesn't mind. She goes out for a drive and is kidnaped by vampires as a "gift" to another Vampire they are keeping prisoner. It's sort of liek beauty and the beast, but twisted and more grown up.

Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydo, which is listed already near the beginning.

Blood and Chocolate, by some author whose name I cannot remember.

Teenage werewolf who falls in love witha a normal boy. Her pack doesn't like it and things get a bit hairy.

The Chestomanci books by Diana Wayne Jones.

Basicly anything with two covers, pages and a plot. Read, people.

Achmeds Queen

Achmeds Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm
Keeko1642
Good Omens

An amazing book.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 am
The Strix
A must have for any grammarian:
Eats, Shoots and Leaves or Eats Shoots and Leaves By Lynne Truss.
Whichever way you prefer it.

I've been meaning to pick that one up, but I always get sidetracked at the bookstore and leave with something else. I'll have to make a note to myself about it.

Summaries taken from Wikipedia.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

"Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story addresses many issues prevalent to African-American life during the early to mid 20th century in the American south, especially focusing on black women's low position in society. Because of the novel's sometimes explicit content, particularly in terms of violence, it has been the frequent target of censors and appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000 at number eighteen."

I will not give away anything at all about the story. All I can say is that this is the only book I have now read twelve times. It is also one of only two books that have ever reduced me to tears to the point where I could no longer see the words. It is an absolutely amazing book.

The other Book that made me cry was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Contrary to what the title may lead you to believe and much to my relief, this is not a science fiction novel.

"It is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time-travel and his wife, an artist, who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences."

I highly recommend these two.

Currently, I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. It is a hilarious detective series that takes place in an alternate reality England in which dodo birds are pets, mammoths go on a yearly migration, fictional characters are kidnapped from their books, and villains always have fun names such as Jack Schitte. It is almost impossible for me to explain the plot any further or with any great detail. It is just one of those things you have to read to understand. The Thursday Next series is full of literary references, classic literary characters, and British wit. You cannot ask for more.  

TneeLilSupaGuy

nimuemelpomene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 pm
Rikuyo Makimachi
I hope this wasn't mentioned in a previous post:

the curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon

Read Excerpt

I just started that. ^_^

I just finished reading:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Vonnegut has again managed to completely entrance me as well as broaden my horizons with his writing. I am constantly amazed at his ability to be such a versatile author and still manage to capture my imagination with each new book I read by him.
This book in particular was absolutely fabulous. I loved how he managed to tie everything together in a fashion that was not only completely random, but also quite apophenic, often purposefully so, but not really. Furthermore his complete and utter disregard for the common trope of the happy ending made for a much more satisfying read.
Of course, none of this is true.

Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
Right after reading Cat's Cradle, I finished this book; and boy howdy was that something to mess with my head. It's been so long since I've read anything vaguely Christian that taking this book up was strangely akin to reading about aliens... and I'm not even particularly sure they were ramen or varelse. Taking that into account with the overall strange headspace in which I found myself... well it was a different experience for sure.
The thing is, that overall it wasn't a particularly bad book and I highly recommend it to any Christians looking for something edifying to read. However, I feel I've come a long way from not only being Christian, but also being as sheltered as the author seems to be. He constantly mentions how he isn't sheltered and whatnot, but his entire tone in the book made it seem a little like he really still was.
Finally, the thing that greatly annoyed me about this book is that it claims to be a non-religious look at Christian Spirituality. However, not a paragraph goes by without him spurting forth with the very Protestant dialect of Christianese. I feel bad for anyone trying to read this book who isn't Christian. Even knowing what he was talking about, the exclusive language made me feel as if I were not welcome to read it, adding to the overall "I'm reading an anthropological text about cannibal aliens" feeling that plagued me through the majority of the book.

Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
I must say that I am thrilled with Ms. Novik's ability to keep the entire book feeling very period throughout the entire text. She accomplished this beautifully in the first book of this series (His Majesty's Dragon ) and kept it going for this book.
It all feels as if the main character is actually someone who is living in the early 1800s (or at least to my untrained eye). Either way, her introduction of dragons into this setting is not only fascinating, but challenging as well.
This book is the second in a series and although I did enjoy this one, I feel a little let down by it. Mostly because I fear that she spent too much time concentrating on one part of the story when I would have rather heard more about the end part of the story (there was even one part where she skipped ahead, glossing over some points which I felt would have been quite fascinating to explore). I almost wonder if she was working under deadline, because it almost feels that way toward the end.
Ah well, it was still a wonderful book, and I do enjoy the characters. I look forward to seeing if she can continue it in the next book.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:43 am
Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony.
While, yes, it is aimed at younger people/teenagers, I thought it was absolutely fantastic.
It was well written, witty, funny, and most importantly, engaging.  

x-Sadistic_Angel-x

Sans Rien

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:02 am
The Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix are awesome for SciFi/Fantasy readers.
And anything by Tamora Pierce is worth reading.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff