Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:08 pm
Catcheen
Clear Bubble
Since I'm making a fairy amigurumi doll, I kinda need to know how to crochet the wings.
I don't know how to crochet one whole piece with both wings, so I've decided to make each wing speparate, with one piece having two petals.
Therefore, to sum it up, my amigurumi doll will have 4 wings but only 2 wing parts. (I hope that's easy to follow.. >.<)
I need to figure out how to make the lumps/bumps/curves of the wings, so do you have any ideas or sites to help me out? Any suggestions?

(I plan to make the pattern myself, which to me is a lot harder than it seemed...) sweatdrop

Could you make lace wings using some shell stitches? You might have to starch the wings or use a product called Stiffy (yeah, I still giggle too) to make them firm and hold up on their own. You could find almost any lace doily pattern and alter it. You could also look for little crocheted snowflakes to alter as well.

I kinda also don't know what you mean by "lumps, bumps,curves" so I'm throwing this suggestion out blindly. *grin*

xd I'll definately take that suggestion in mind, thanks!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:21 pm
I'm looking for a nice easy floppy sun hat. I'm making a hat for someone and the pattern I have call for felting and the wool yarn I need is hard to come by were I live. Do you have any ideas???  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:13 am
AccentualWolf
I'm looking for a nice easy floppy sun hat. I'm making a hat for someone and the pattern I have call for felting and the wool yarn I need is hard to come by were I live. Do you have any ideas???

Yes! The BUP! I've made one and it's wonderful. I don't go in the sun often, but I took it on a trip to Mexico and wore it the whooooole time. I made mine out of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece.

http://www.chicknits.com/catalog/aranbucket.html

You will have to buy it, but it's so worth it to get such a well written pattern.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:57 pm
OMG! HOW DO U KNIT A STINKIN' SWEATER???  

mobrose

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm
mobrose
OMG! HOW DO U KNIT A STINKIN' SWEATER???

Hmm.. I think I might need a more specific question.

1. Learn to knit (and purl, increase, decrease, and how to read a pattern)
2. Find a sweater pattern
3. Buy appropriate yarn and needles
4. Make a guage swatch
5. Follow the pattern to make the sweater  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:49 pm
Kntting questions:
1. How would I knit a rose?
2. Is there an easy way to knit arm warmers? if so how?
3. Thanks!  

claviclebone

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 am
Miss_Rowen
Kntting questions:
1. How would I knit a rose?
2. Is there an easy way to knit arm warmers? if so how?
3. Thanks!

1. Would this be good?

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/Knitted_Rose.html

I found it here

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

2. I'll let ya find your own arm warmer pattern. Look for one that's knit in one piece, garter stitch, and seamed up the side. That would the the easiest.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/mittens_gloves.php

3. Hope I helped!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:30 pm
I'm almost done with a scarf that I am so proud of!! It kinda like one of those 3-D pictures where you have to get up close to and then lean back to actually see the picture. It is way cool. but the question I need to know is the best way to block wool. It is the felting kind and I can't machine wash it, but it was recommended for what I was trying to do. Do I Soak and then use a towel to squeeze the water before pinning it or do I just damp it then pin it? What is the best way?

P.S. I promise to post a pic of it when it is totally complete.  

AccentualWolf

claviclebone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:12 am
Thanks alot! All i had was size 19 needles so they came out "fish knitty". I just knit the lenght i wanted and double my palm width, then stitched the side. I'll try to get a pic.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:03 pm
AccentualWolf
I'm almost done with a scarf that I am so proud of!! It kinda like one of those 3-D pictures where you have to get up close to and then lean back to actually see the picture. It is way cool. but the question I need to know is the best way to block wool. It is the felting kind and I can't machine wash it, but it was recommended for what I was trying to do. Do I Soak and then use a towel to squeeze the water before pinning it or do I just damp it then pin it? What is the best way?

P.S. I promise to post a pic of it when it is totally complete.

When I've been paranoid about felting, I've always put a towel on the carpet and pinned my objects on the towel and stabbing into the carpet, too. Then I get a spray bottle of water and spray the ever-living poo out of the item. Then I just let it dry naturally.

This method won't work if you don't have carpet or a spray bottle. Maybe you could adapt it to a bed?

Basically, get the item wet and pin it out. As long as it dries in the pinned position, it'll be blocked. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

claviclebone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:56 am
Hello again! I was wondering if you could do a small diamiter knit (barley a hole at all, the size of 12 CO onto 3 DPNs. I can't do 3, way to hard for me.) on a 16 or 24 in circular needle?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:36 pm
Miss_Rowen
Hello again! I was wondering if you could do a small diamiter knit (barley a hole at all, the size of 12 CO onto 3 DPNs. I can't do 3, way to hard for me.) on a 16 or 24 in circular needle?

The 24" one MIGHT work with the magic loop method, but a 32" circular would work a bit easier.

My recommendation is to just learn and practice the DPNs. *grin* Unless you've got a 32" circular in the size you need just laying around.  

Catcheen
Crew

claviclebone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:53 pm
okay thanks! I just got some new 20 inch circular needles, my friend got 'em for me and I don't get the whole 32'' thng >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:23 am
Miss_Rowen
okay thanks! I just got some new 20 inch circular needles, my friend got 'em for me and I don't get the whole 32'' thng >.<

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Scroll down to Magic Loop and it'll tell/show you how it's done. The 20" needle will not work in the way it works when you're doing a bag in the round. You'll have to put a twist in it and maneuver the stitches with the twist in place. I'm just not sure if it'll be long enough to accomplish what you're wanting to do. I wish you much luck and let me know if the 20" works!  

Catcheen
Crew

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 am
Does anyone know what a double-join or a single-join is....in terms of lace knitting, or knitting on edges to lace pieces?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff