Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Star Wars Weapons Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:04 pm
I know they have shotgun equivalents in star wars. Just play battlefront. I think they call them "blast cannons" or something.

What I was trying to get at was the idea of the cartridged shell aspect, one which can be loaded for like, special purposes. For example, you are up against someone, and you need a little more punch, you take out your blaster pack, and shove a ballistic projectile that is superheated by the laser's core down the barrel.

Basically, a shell, but with a laser pushing it, making it like a superheated diamond.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:06 pm
that would require a whole different gun. most blasters aren't made for that.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:19 pm
none, in fact. and if you wanna see slugthrowers, watch ep. 1. the sandpeople use them to take potshots at podracers.

that laser-propelled shell idea sounds waaaay too far-fetched. however, the idea about expendable blaster shells does have a kind of precident; the turbolaser cannons of ROTS.

essentially, each shell would contain a compact bit of powerful blaster gas. to be more like a modern rifle, the shell could load directly into the laser chamber, which would have the laser gas component removed. problem with this is each shell would need to be placed with .0001 mm accuracy, and they'd be super expensive.

the alternate way, simply loading a gas cannister, is not really too different from current blasters. you'll notice most of the blasters i design with stocks have this option.

as a rule, blaster gas is refilled whenever the gas is expended. this isn't done often (usually after thousands of shots, depending on the model and usage). reloadable gas becomes somewhat of a burden in this situation, because the shells would have to be strong enough to last that long. this makes them expensive, and much less practical than simply refilling, as the concept of having a cheap magazine is nullified.

however, it's more convenient to switch mags than refill, or so one would think. but if you look at the e-11 and dl-44, you see the amount of space reserved for gas is miniscule, so refilling doesn't take all that long.

plus, again, accuracy would be key for blaster gas magazines, and leaks would be made more likely and more dangerous. Gas storage is usually internal, where it's safest. having an aux cannister would be pretty foolish from a safety standpoint.

i think, however, that disruptors could benefit from this. usually their capacity ranges from 5-10 shots, and they could fit at least 20 large gas/energy shells in strong and accurate mags, which would free up room for cooling by consolidating fuel to one feeding point. disruptors are rare and expensive anyway.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:34 pm
The shell isn't far fetched, in reality. All you need is to have a laser strong enough to ignite the gas lodged behind the propellent, and it would natrually fire like a bullet, much like primer. With a tiny focusing crystal, the heat could also be increased substancially, making the ballistic projectile become quite heated, and make it a more physical punch.

Though, I'm not going to go into it.

Although a break action double barreled shotgun would be sweet for the SW universe...  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:17 pm
ah, i see... but gas /focuses/ and/or energizes lasers. it would just tear through the slug and proceed out the barrel.

if you did heat the slug tremendously, though, wouldn't it just melt? i mean, crystal lasers are incredibly hot. friciton of passing through the barrel on top of that would reduce it to an innacurate sludge of molten-gunk... which is very devastating, if that's what you mean. *the american revolutionary war comes to mind*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:44 pm
The point though, is that that molten pile of gunk, as you so put it, only has to be ejected out of the barrel before it becomes gunk. After that, it's only got to be accurate to about 50 feet. But it will rip through anything, or melt whatever it doesnt.

Not to mention, I'm not talking about cheap metallic ballistics either. Something a little more... temprament, so to speak?

As to the laser tearing through the slug, that's why we have the wad...  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:52 pm
..the wad?

and btw what exactly does "break action double barreled shotgun" entail? i don't know much about shotguns, just lasers and machineguns.. ^_^;;  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:13 pm
Break action is a type of action, where you "break" the gun to load the breach. You know what it is, you just haven't heard it before.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

See how the action "breaks" apart. Now note, this isn't what is considered to be a "breach action". This is a "break action".

See the difference?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:23 pm
ah, ok. but what d you mean by 'the wad'?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Well, obviously a bullet would melt before it could leave the barrel in some cases. Hence, another thing about shotguns, is the "wad".

In a shotgun, we know that there is:

The wad is pushed by the powder, and fires the shot.

In my design, we have the equivalent of the slug. The "wad" would be behind the metallic piece to be smelted, and would be pushed along by the laser until the wad exited the barrel, instead of being melted all the way through. Unlike in a shotgun, to heat the ballistic ball, the laser, pushing the wad, would then catch the bullet in mid air right as it exits the barrel, heating it to the smelting point.

Hence, the bullet is melted by the laser, but only after the shot leavse the barrel.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:34 pm
Nelowulf
Well, obviously a bullet would melt before it could leave the barrel in some cases. Hence, another thing about shotguns, is the "wad".

In a shotgun, we know that there is:

The wad is pushed by the powder, and fires the shot.

In my design, we have the equivalent of the slug. The "wad" would be behind the metallic piece to be smelted, and would be pushed along by the laser until the wad exited the barrel, instead of being melted all the way through. Unlike in a shotgun, to heat the ballistic ball, the laser, pushing the wad, would then catch the bullet in mid air right as it exits the barrel, heating it to the smelting point.

Hence, the bullet is melted by the laser, but only after the shot leavse the barrel.

thanks for the diagram...what would the wad be made of?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:38 pm
Cortosis?

Has to be light, somewhat blaster resilient. Shotgun wads, for example, are made of plastic or paper. So what could be the equivalent?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:39 pm
I dunno. duraplast?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Carbonite?

I hear that's pretty light but strong. Just think, if you could invent one, you'd have some badass weapon. you could go evil dead on the force community!  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:58 pm
eek
*starts taking down notes*  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games