Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Loss of Literacy in Modern America Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you blame for the lack of literacy?
  Television
  Computers
  Peer validation (If its alright for them to do it, its alright for me to do it!
  Laziness
  Bad genetics
View Results

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:28 pm
King of Halla
DarkElf27
*Laughs.* Yeah, I've been on gaia for a year and a half, that helped raise my typing speed considerably. And my junior and senior year.... Hell, I'd be looking towards the future; I'm a sophomore. sweatdrop Try not to judge me by age, though.

I'm going INTO my freshmen year, so I won't xp .
And I type 60 words per minute on an extremely good day.
On the same subject, Gaia has helped me in writing in general. Obviously not in grammar, but I've gotten better at creative writing and thinking up things on the spot thanks to role playing. I know it is weird, but my writing scores have been on the rise since I joined Gaia. I joined when I was a sophomore in high school, and now I'm a sophomore in college.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 pm
May I ask you guys a simple question?
Has anyone taken the average age of this guild?

I think that we are, perhaps, the most intellectual group of individuals on Gaia.

Good job, mates!  

turtles rock

Lerimore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 pm
Niccea Majeare
King of Halla
DarkElf27
*Laughs.* Yeah, I've been on gaia for a year and a half, that helped raise my typing speed considerably. And my junior and senior year.... Hell, I'd be looking towards the future; I'm a sophomore. sweatdrop Try not to judge me by age, though.

I'm going INTO my freshmen year, so I won't xp .
And I type 60 words per minute on an extremely good day.
On the same subject, Gaia has helped me in writing in general. Obviously not in grammar, but I've gotten better at creative writing and thinking up things on the spot thanks to role playing. I know it is weird, but my writing scores have been on the rise since I joined Gaia. I joined when I was a sophomore in high school, and now I'm a sophomore in college.

I have seen my typing speed degrade since leaving eighth grade, but Gaia has brought it close to what it was before. Now entering the ninth grade as a freshman, I just hope I retained enough to make it in Honors Enriched English. Also, to test into it, but that's on a different note.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 pm
Hmm... I don't even know what my typing speed is at this point. I write tons of things on the computer for my college classes, and I also use Gaia a lot. I don't really measure my speed, but I've been told that I type fast. Perhaps if I didn't edit what I type as I go along, I would type a lot faster, but I can't stand to see errors on the screen.

On another note, there's one thing I can't stand about college. Even though people are quite savvy on the Internet and can do all kinds of things with it, they are complete idiots when it comes to writing a paper. I wonder how some of these people even got admitted into a university. Here I am, slaving over a paper to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about, and then I see someone else's writing riddled with misspellings and grammatical errors. It makes me wonder what this world is coming to.  

Sylvaniae

Liberal Genius

6,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100

TeeJaye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:23 pm
Not sure how many of you folks play "Magic: The Gathering" but I thought you would like to see this regardless.

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:52 pm
I blame lazy teens and society in general! They're too laid back to write out sentences and words, and others let them do this without comment. School just started and we had to argue a point on the board. Many of the girls were using txt tlk! gonk  

bushy_haired_freak

Kitsune Kit Kaguya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm
One problem is that people don't read anymore, so they arn't exposed to correct grammar.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42 pm
Kitsune Kit Kaguya
One problem is that people don't read anymore, so they aren't exposed to correct grammar.

That's a good point. Many of my friends who use "txt tlk" don't read very much.

I still fail to see how "n u" is the equivalent of "and you?"  

Rainbow Nebby Chan

Eternal Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:55 am
Kitsune Kit Kaguya
One problem is that people don't read anymore, so they arn't exposed to correct grammar.

*Insert* are not

Thank you, I full heartedly agree with you. The lack of literacy, as with all times, has been due to the lack of reading. Medieval times, to the present, not reading is the single cause of illiteracy. I believe the internet has no effect on this, barring the ease it is to conduct "txt tlk" now.
To believe that people, and spell check ignore the word "beleave".

Illiteracy
noun
1. ignorance resulting from not reading
2. an inability to read [ant: literacy]

Phantasmically inclined to omphaloskepsis.
-Mr Faceless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 am
I find a lot of things really odd about youth of today, even though I could call myself one of them...I'm one of the only few in my group of friends who enjoy reading, and will take several trips a week to the library on campus to pick up more books.

I've not yet met anyone in my age group on campus, except the other pink haired girl like myself, and we swap books back and forth.

I think it's because people are lazy and don't like to take the time to sit down and let their imagination EXIST...why spend time thinking up things, when there's a perfectly good television, or computer, with war games, and zero IQ necessary.  

ZenPinkBunny

saiducky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:45 am
Quote:
Kitsune Kit Kaguya Wrote:

*Insert* are not

Thank you, I full heartedly agree with you. The lack of literacy, as with all times, has been due to the lack of reading. Medieval times, to the present, not reading is the single cause of illiteracy. I believe the internet has no effect on this, barring the ease it is to conduct "txt tlk" now.
To believe that people, and spell check ignore the word "beleave".

Illiteracy
noun
1. ignorance resulting from not reading
2. an inability to read [ant: literacy]

I agree as well. In my middle school, only about four other people enjoy reading that i know of. Isn't it sad when even in Advanced English only two people like to read? crying  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:37 pm
I think one thing was missed of the poll.
'Lack of motivation through the education system'

Kin no Nabi

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

Meghead Taco Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:01 pm
Though no one has posted here in a while, I'll add my two cents.

I personally think it is a mixture of a bunch of reasons. Since the television was invented, kids have spent less time reading and more time on their butts in front of a box with light. This was the beginning of extreme child laziness. Then computers were invented, and with computers came the internet. When chat rooms and instant messagers were first used by American youth, no one thought to drop all their vowels and make complete fools of themselves. But one day some genius thought to shorten their words into incomprehensible little fragments. This person talked to other people, who most likely assumed that this 'cool' way of talking was the norm. So they started using it, and it spread. It caught on so because it appealed to the laziness that these kids had acquired from watching their telly so much and these children didn't want to appear fools for not using this cool new lingo.

And now we are in this era, where we are forced to make exclusive guilds in order to find people who know grammar.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:19 pm
People are just so lazy these days. I've had customers at the bookstore where I work turn down our free card because they would rather watch TV than read. I give those people scandalized or disapproving looks. I usually get laughed at, but I've had a few people try to apologize. Those are always amusing.

On a related note, anyone who has not read Lynne Truss's book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, really should. It's fabulous. I have laughed out loud several times while reading it. At least two of those times were while I was eating lunch in the mall food court. I got some strange looks. lol  

bead_vamp

Bazisan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:48 pm
I want that book! Everytime I go into a bookstore I look for it. Alas, I have not the money required for such an item. It is a sad time when I have no money with which to buy books. crying

Anyway here is my opinion on this subject:
The school systems of today are greatly lacking in the education department. Take my old high school for example. Math: The foriegn exchange student corrected the teacher on almost everything. We never had homework. History and Geography: Wait? Those were offered at my school? Oh yeah, that was the class where the coaches were supposed to teach and never showed up to the class room. Spanish: The teacher tried to fail a second string freshman football player and almost got fired over it so he decided since the school didn't care about educating the kids, neither did he and turned his class into a free for all. English: "Now, don't worry about spelling and grammar. We're just trying to bring out your creativity and everyone passes this class so don't even worry about your grade." I promise that I am not making this up. Ask any one who attended Turpin School in Oklahoma from 1998 to 2001. They can afirm what I am saying. Our school systems are all about making the kids happy and feel good about themselves (which I think is having the reverse affect) not about educating them so that they can survive in the future.

My high school education makes me very angry and extremely sad. It is a wonder that I know anything at all. I had only one good teacher who actually taught. Mrs. Moore. Everyone hated her but that was because *gasp* eek She actually wanted them to learn something!! Who would have thought that a teacher would actually teach a class? The only other good teacher we had was Mrs. Depew the Typing teacher. She only gave out 3 A's in her 15 year career. No I wasn't one of them. I barely passed her class with a C.

Anyway enough of my ranting....  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces