Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Getting in shape for cosplay - Support~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ping Nick Wright

6,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 am
Hm... I guess that maybe I should try this.
I don't so much as need to louse weight [though I would like that], but to be fit I guess. I will be going to my first con this year, maybe even my first two, and I would like to not be all tired half way through!

Goals?
`I need to eat healthier, witch will be a challenge since I eat school lunches and get a discount so it is cheaper. I may just have to sacrifice taste for the health...
`I need to get out more, walk, run, ride my bike, something. Probably just drop my back pack off at my house after school and go for a run.
`I need to drink much much more water. I've already gotten a re-fillable bottle, but I can't let it sit for to long or else the water will become metallic and hurt my trough.

May not sound like much now, but I may have a hard time with the basics, with my 'bad?' habits and laziness.  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:39 am
Amburr Bryte
User Image

I really need to set a goal.

San Japan is this summer, and Im playing on Cosplaying...

Yoko From Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

I know for sure that Im tall enough with boots, have the legs to wear short shorts, and the bikini top is ... well Im sorta nervous.
But it is Texas. Hot as hell. I should be okay. But one problem Im having is my stomach. ;'c Im thin but... I have a bit of fat on the sides. I really want to get rid of that.

I drink water like constantly, and well, its sorta hard to cut back on eating things I really like. I stopped eating sweets for like a month now. Soda is kiiiiiiiilling me. D: Plus juice is all around me. Gah. I recently got the WiiFit, FINALLY, but I really hope this works.

Any other suggestions can you guys give me?

Excess belly jelly is really hard to lose. It is also the worst area to carry your excess fat cells. Being female doesn't help either since females carry babies and such and all that yeah... your body is basically made for carrying the weight there.

The best thing to do is to strengthen your torso and try something like walking with a pair of two to three pound weights if you don't have access to a fitness center. Stand up straight while walking. For stretching, there are some good torso stretches for the abs and pelvic region in the art of belly dancing.

There is no proven ways to lose weight in a pin-pointed area and walking with resistance training (weightlighting) is the easiest way to lose weight. Interval training is good too if you can get to a treadmill or elliptical. Work out 30-45 minutes a day or 60 minutes three to four times a week of non-stop exercise minimum for a healthy body.

Just an example :
I've been doing this for four days now combined with a healthier eating plan and now my tummy isn't over lapping my pants when a sit and slouch. Though, belly jelly is the easier for me to lose.

Remember, a healthy rate to lose weight is 1 to 3 lbs at most a week.
Also, watch your calorie and fat intake.
Unsaturated fat is good fat... saturated and transfat are bad fats.
For a female, you will want to eat about 1000-1200 calories this can be adjusted as needed. It is only the average the body needs to be in top shape while wanting to lose weight. This info provided by a chart my professor had use freaking memorize.

Last but not least, um... Yoko. BOOBIE TAPE! >w< ... and double sided tape. Make sure you have this. This will save you from total embarrassment if something were to go wrong with glomping, hugging, and fangirling. I've seen it happen before with this character.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am
Ping Nick Wright
Hm... I guess that maybe I should try this.
I don't so much as need to louse weight [though I would like that], but to be fit I guess. I will be going to my first con this year, maybe even my first two, and I would like to not be all tired half way through!
May not sound like much now, but I may have a hard time with the basics, with my 'bad?' habits and laziness.

Goals?
`I need to eat healthier, witch will be a challenge since I eat school lunches and get a discount so it is cheaper. I may just have to sacrifice taste for the health...
School lunches are horrible. But this may help... drink water or white milk no greater than 2%. Look at the carbs on your plate and choose bread roll or pasta, not both. If the roll is wheat I would go with that. School lunches don't use high quality carbs. You do need them but you also don't need to eat too much. The body uses carbs for glucose and excess glucose gets turned into fat. Get the fruit and veggie of the day. Stay away from red meats at school ((I would say to stay away from them altogether)). Red meats at school are poor quality and thus are loaded with un-needed things like fat.
`I need to get out more, walk, run, ride my bike, something. Probably just drop my back pack off at my house after school and go for a run.
Start off walking if you aren't used to much exercise. Starting off with running wears you down faster and you lose the will to keep going, the results may feel impossible. Walk briskly, add light weights to your walk if you want more of a work out at first.
`I need to drink much much more water. I've already gotten a re-fillable bottle, but I can't let it sit for to long or else the water will become metallic and hurt my trough.
Try a thick plastic water bottle. I hate the metallic taste of the metal ones myself.  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 am
Good news! I found my KDR matts! Bad news, I am a lazy a** and keep on buying and craving sweets and junk food! T^T Good news! My Great Aunt has offered to let me use her exercises in a pool. Bad news, I have no pool and each time I try to come over she cancels on me. Bad news, I have just messed up a tendon in my ankle and can't walk on it very well. Good news, my arms are getting good exercise from putting my weight on it instead of my foot when going on stairs.
I also now have no clue how much I weigh but I do know that I am still not in shape yet! T^T

Ralyle

Shirtless Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:15 am
bloodysword4
Okay so I don't have any near future cons near me that i'm going to but I'm trying to plan ahead for next year so that I have more to choose from than my igglybuff costume built over a inflatable fat ballerina costume.

I weigh around 300 lbs and am 5'8" with a gland problem that makes it hard to lose weight without taking my medicine. The ideal body weight for me medicaly is between 120-160 lbs.

I have to find a way to lose around 150 lbs within one year in order to reach this weight in time for the cons that are around my area next year. That's about 12 lbs a month or 3 lbs a week.

Now I know I can do this but I'll need some support.

I've already cut out most soda (diet is still in because that does not add calories) and candy (except for the few morsels I have left from easter). I am not exersizes per say but I am walking around more often because my pokewalker is encouraging me to move about more.

The hard part is thinking of foods that I can get that are not to expensive or can store for a longer time. Suggestions?
You can always prepare fruits and veggies for the freezer.
Look for in the sales papers for good sales. Go grocery shopping once per week. MAKE A WEEKLY DINNER PLAN. Making the dinner plan helps control what you eat and what you buy. Do not buy in excess. Yes, the bananas are 33 cents a lb but are you really gonna eat seven to ten bananas in a few days? Bananas usually only last about four days from purchase. replacing red meats with fish and poultry is good as well and are cheaper than red meats too.

Also low impact exersize suggestions that I can do at home? At my weight I refuse to go work out, even though I work at a YMCA.
Like I have suggested in two other post, brisk walking... with the help of weights if you like, is a low impact exercise. Just make sure you are doing it as much and as long as you need to be doing it.

I also would like suggestion on how to lose the weight steadly and keep it going. Losing weight isn't so much the problem, I lost 25 lbs in 1 month in the summer, but it's keeping it off and not gaining it back that has me troubled.
Try staying active and changing your eating habits to have limits rather than restrictions. Maybe allow yourself only one candy bar a week((200 to 325 calories O.O)).

~Ooooo... gland problem. I've only been introduced to that one recently... ((Nutrition/Biology Major- not yet a professional))
But, I can try to help you out with some of it if you like...  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm
    This looks very interesting and I would love to participate as well. :3

Okay, I am 5'8" and about 210 lbs., the main place where my fat is stored is around my hips, thighs, and butt, and I plan on loosing weight, getting fit, and feeling good about myself in all of that beautiful cosplay. :3 My goal is to be a healthy weight for my height. :3

Loosing weight has never been a problem with me, but KEEPING IT OFF is another story. I was always in a state of loose ten pounds, gain fifteen back. It was bad and it still is. I managed to loose a lot of weight this semester of college because I started walking two miles a day and it has been great for me. But I have been so busy with school and work that I have not eaten a lot, which is not good. I need to eat more and smaller meals during the day, but I get so wrapped up in what I am doing that I just forget to eat and I went two days without sleeping once. Give it up for malnutrition. I just need to get my eating on a regular schedule. :3

My diet is pretty decent in my mind. I gave up soda, sweets, and red meats a while ago and it is staying. I take a multivitamin once a day, I drink 8-10 bottles of water a day {I recycle,} and I can't make it though the day without having chicken or turkey. I can now never drink any form of soda or juice, I don't eat candy, and I stay away from meat that isn't poultry or sea food. I work in a ice cream place, but I steer clear of ice cream and go for the grilled chicken and lettuce. I do have problems with carbs though; I LOVE carbs. Also I think writing down what I eat and what I do about working out would help loose weight too.

As for my workout schedule, I walk about two miles a day and I work on my feet so I add that on with my walking. Once I get on my summer break and get away from my school's gym I will be working full time, so I will be walking a lot all the same. :3

I am more than welcome to hear out all advice on this matter and I will help out to the best of my abilities as well.

Albus Rosarium

Ping Nick Wright

6,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:04 pm
Thank you for the helpful advice! >w<  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 pm
Albus Rosarium
    This looks very interesting and I would love to participate as well. :3

Okay, I am 5'8" and about 210 lbs., the main place where my fat is stored is around my hips, thighs, and butt, and I plan on loosing weight, getting fit, and feeling good about myself in all of that beautiful cosplay. :3 My goal is to be a healthy weight for my height. :3

Loosing weight has never been a problem with me, but KEEPING IT OFF is another story. I was always in a state of loose ten pounds, gain fifteen back. It was bad and it still is. I managed to loose a lot of weight this semester of college because I started walking two miles a day and it has been great for me. But I have been so busy with school and work that I have not eaten a lot, which is not good. I need to eat more and smaller meals during the day, but I get so wrapped up in what I am doing that I just forget to eat and I went two days without sleeping once. Give it up for malnutrition. I just need to get my eating on a regular schedule. :3

My diet is pretty decent in my mind. I gave up soda, sweets, and red meats a while ago and it is staying. I take a multivitamin once a day, I drink 8-10 bottles of water a day {I recycle,} and I can't make it though the day without having chicken or turkey. I can now never drink any form of soda or juice, I don't eat candy, and I stay away from meat that isn't poultry or sea food. I work in a ice cream place, but I steer clear of ice cream and go for the grilled chicken and lettuce. I do have problems with carbs though; I LOVE carbs. Also I think writing down what I eat and what I do about working out would help loose weight too.

As for my workout schedule, I walk about two miles a day and I work on my feet so I add that on with my walking. Once I get on my summer break and get away from my school's gym I will be working full time, so I will be walking a lot all the same. :3

I am more than welcome to hear out all advice on this matter and I will help out to the best of my abilities as well.

Not eating properly can be a cause of weight gain even if you aren't eating a lot. If you go for extended periods of not eating your body goes into a state of fasting. When this happens constantly your body gets used to a feeding pattern and a low metabolic rate can occur.
To help increase your metabolic rate exercise ((looks like you have a busy life)) and eat small healthy snacks throughout the day and eat breakfast... that's why it is called breakfast... you are breaking the fast.
Try to make time for a snack that is easily accessible.
Don't take out lean meat from your diet unless you have another good source of protein.
If you love carbs, make sure you don't over indulge... this means no seconds and eating the proper portion size, and try out whole grain wheat pastas and breads. You must sleep, not sleeping makes stress on the body and stress is not good for maintaining a healthy weight.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

Bee Movie Suit

Hoarding Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm
User Image
My Tips:

Food:

- Pretzels instead of chips, make sure that they're not overly-salted. If you love chips that much get baked chips instead of greasy salty ones.
- Low to no Butter Popcorn. Don't add salt either.
- Grilled, not crispy. Yes chicken and meat is delicious, but you want to cut down on the grease.
- Make fast food a once in awhile treat, not any everyday thing.
- Love pizza? Don't deliver, make your own! And I'm not talking about the frozen ones from the store. Make it from scratch, buy or make the crust, add pizza sauce, cheese, and whatever topping you prefer. All these things can be found at your local grocery store.
- Cut down on the caffeine, drink water or another healthier beverage. I'm not saying to completely get rid of it, just have only a can or two a day, and make sure not to drink any caffeine before bed or late at night.
- Eat a fruit. Grab an apple, banana or a few grapes, whatever you like.
- A few veggies never killed anyone, try maybe carrot or celery sticks.
- Home-made Trail mix is another great snack.
- Never skip breakfast. It IS the most important meal of the day.

These are just a couple alternatives for a nutritional diet, snacking is not a bad thing, but just make it better choices than candy or chips.

Physical:

Start with maybe at least 20-30 minutes of exercise a day and work on going longer.
Good things to try:
- 20-35 sit-ups , push-ups and step-ups a day. You want to balance out your exercise to your three main parts of your body; Upper (arms, back), middle (abs, lower back) and lower (legs and butt)
- A nice jog in the park or around the block, walking your dog if you have one
- Bike riding is good too
- Find something you enjoy, don't just sit around all day
- don't over exert yourself. Stop when it hurts, and don't mistake pressure for pain. Pressure means it's working.
- Be careful in hot weather as well.
- Be sure to stretch before and after exercise. You don't want to tear anything.
- Get a good sleep.

If your trying to slim down, don't expect it to work in a few days or instantly, because it won't. This takes time, and could take a few weeks or months, it all depends on your body frame too. And remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
And btw EVERYONE have some baby fat, and it's extreamly hard to get rid of, you don't have to be as skinny as the models you see on tv or in anime, a little fat doesn't hurt. Your body actually needs fat to keep itself going. There is good fat and bad fat. You can't avoid it but you don't want too much of it. The main bad fat is grease and other saturated fats.

Other tips:
- Set reasonable goals not dreams
- Start with small steps and work your way up
- Don't cut corners
- Don't give up!
- Don't stop either
- Be confident
- Have fun!

I'll add more if I remember any.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User ImageBeeMovieSuits 5053/ಠ 3ಠ

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 pm
I know for sure I weigh around 175 now, but considering the fact that I'm a swimmer and naturally have a lot of muscle, I guess it's okay. I'd still like to lose around 10-20 lbs before swimsuit---Well, bikini season. Swimsuit season is all year round for me talk2hand

I've been going to physical therapy, and the gym, though that's for a total of three visits to exercise my legs outside of my house per week. My knee is much better, so I'm going to start working up to skating and more taxing exercises like that. I've been working on my chest and arms too, in hope by breasts will shrink, or at least lift up....

My thighs have really toned up doing those exercises, at least 3 inches each, and my sides and stomach have toned up too. I haven't really stuck to any food diets, but I've also tried working on posture because it uses back and stomach muscles.

I have acne too though, and I was wondering about tea tree oil... have any of you tried it?  

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

egoxromantic

Anxious Conventioneer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:10 am
Hmm.. so, people say I'm skinny, but I do have that tiny bit on my belly that irks me.. and I need to get rid of it for my cosplay. >:

Lately I've been trying to cut back on portion sizes (for the most part... I forget sometimes) because I eat too much. Also, I want to start watching what I eat for heath reasons. My stomach seems to hurt constantly.. and I don't know why. Our family eats pretty heathy because my mom does weight watchers, so I've become accustom to drinking lots of water, only eating fast food once in a while... I eat a lot of fatty foods that I know I shouldn't. It's probably the cause of my stomacheaches.

Also, I never excercise. Dx Because I'm so horribly lazy. I suppose I'll start, though. This thread motivated me; I know I'm not the only one who is worried about weight.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 am
I'm the kind of person that always says that they want to lose weight, and never does. I'm very lazy and I love food.(Bad combnation... sweatdrop ) I love cosplay but I sort of feel very self conscious when I'm in them...Who am I kiding i'm self conscious all the time... sad

I really need to lose weigh, I belive it would help me be a better cosplayer and it will make me feel better about myself.

I'm going to start excerciseing and eating less! I feel motivated! I will do it! I WILL!  

AshleyCarnival

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:25 pm
Good luck to you all! If you need some work outs I can give you some that really help.

Cardio is supposed to boost your metabolism, so try to work that in about three times a week for 30 mins. each time.

I'm going to try learning to belly dance and see if that helps tone my body up.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 pm
Hey guys...
So, I've decided I need to lose weight for cosplay...

Last year, I lost about fifteen to twenty pounds, but I gained it all back over this recent winter (winter depresses me, and I really need to work on my food consumption during that time).

Anyway, I was wondering...
My next con is in four months...
What would be a healthy amount of weight to lose by then?

Empresss Spiral

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:24 pm
Inochicon is this August, and I'd like to work on my body composition. I'd like to lose my belly fat, thin my waist and inner thigh fat. I'm 69 kg, and I'd like to lose 20 kg. My mom might be getting my family a gym membership, but before then, what could I do to achieve this goal? ; A ;

Note:
I'm a very lazy person who would much rather read or draw than workout.
I can jog for a long distance for about 3-5 minutes without beginning to walk.
I'm good and swimming and dancing.

Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces