Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:04 am
Mildred Pierce
Does anyone know what a double-join or a single-join is....in terms of lace knitting, or knitting on edges to lace pieces?

You've got me stumped. I've never heard of a double or single join. Can you post a piece of the instructions where it says that so we can try to figure it out? Maybe they're using a different term. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am
Mildred Pierce
Does anyone know what a double-join or a single-join is....in terms of lace knitting, or knitting on edges to lace pieces?

I know this one smile

When you're knitting lace, and the edging is to be knit perpendicularly to the body of the piece, you start out by NOT binding off the body stitches. Instead, you cast ON (usually a provisional cast on) however many edging stitches, and those become the basis for your edging. At the end of (usually) every wrong-side row, you knit/purl the last stitch in the edging to the next live stitch in the body - this is a single join.

When going around curves or corners, you join multiple rows of the edging to the same body stitch - twice, thrice, or more, it depends on how wide the edging is mostly, but you want to give it enough of a gather around the actual corner so that the edging will lay flat. Victorian Lace Today has a really good explanation of this, as does Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller; you can probably get the first book at your LYS or local bookstore, and the second one through inter-library loan.

Here's a visual example of a knitted-on edging that uses single, double, and triple joins:

http://flickr.com/photos/92296807@N00/2209014638/

The eight extra stitches done before the edging are just there so that the edging can start in the right spot, they don't actually serve any other purpose.

As you can see, the join stitches are only done once - the next row (RS row), they are usually slipped, as with this pattern (which is a screenshot of part of my Galveston Shawl pattern, for those of you who worry about copyright).  

Zahra Ovaci

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:54 am
Zahra Ovaci
Mildred Pierce

I know this one smile

When you're knitting lace, and the edging is to be knit perpendicularly to the body of the piece, you start out by NOT binding off the body stitches. Instead, you cast ON (usually a provisional cast on) however many edging stitches, and those become the basis for your edging. At the end of (usually) every wrong-side row, you knit/purl the last stitch in the edging to the next live stitch in the body - this is a single join.

When going around curves or corners, you join multiple rows of the edging to the same body stitch - twice, thrice, or more, it depends on how wide the edging is mostly, but you want to give it enough of a gather around the actual corner so that the edging will lay flat. Victorian Lace Today has a really good explanation of this, as does Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller; you can probably get the first book at your LYS or local bookstore, and the second one through inter-library loan.

Here's a visual example of a knitted-on edging that uses single, double, and triple joins:

The eight extra stitches done before the edging are just there so that the edging can start in the right spot, they don't actually serve any other purpose.

As you can see, the join stitches are only done once - the next row (RS row), they are usually slipped, as with this pattern (which is a screenshot of part of my Galveston Shawl pattern, for those of you who worry about copyright).

Bless your heart!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 am
Zahra Ovaci
Mildred Pierce

I know this one smile

Thanks for that! I learned something, too. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

claviclebone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 pm
Do youknw where I can find a good doll sweater tutorial?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm
Miss_Rowen
Do youknw where I can find a good doll sweater tutorial?

Gosh, I sure don't. What size doll are you looking for? I know there are patterns out there for everything from BJDs, to Barbie, to Cabbage Patch, but I don't know of any tutorials. Are you looking for knitting or crocheting?  

Catcheen
Crew

claviclebone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 am
either, and it's for my friends little sister >.>  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:26 pm
Miss_Rowen
either, and it's for my friends little sister >.>

Since I'm not sure what size you want... here's the knitting ones I know about

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dolls_clothes.php

And the crochet ones

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/dolls_clothes.php  

Catcheen
Crew

Bucket~Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:00 pm
So, I'm makingthis hat for my friend. I have plenty of time, so that's not the issue.

But do you have a tutorial I could use for it?

My main question was what kind of yarn to use. It looks bigger in some places then others..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 am
Bucket~Turtle
So, I'm makingthis hat for my friend. I have plenty of time, so that's not the issue.

My main question was what kind of yarn to use. It looks bigger in some places then others..

Sorry, I think there's only tutorials for knitting skills rather than whole patterns. I've never seen a pattern like that either. It looks to me that it is knit like a hat, but never decreases at the top and is folded down. The yarn is a bulky (possibly super bulky) weight thick and thin yarn. It's doubtful that you'll find anything like that at a local crafting store. You'll probably need to hit up a local yarn store or even buy it online.

Hope that helped a bit!  

Catcheen
Crew

Bucket~Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:17 pm
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

Sorry, I think there's only tutorials for knitting skills rather than whole patterns. I've never seen a pattern like that either. It looks to me that it is knit like a hat, but never decreases at the top and is folded down. The yarn is a bulky (possibly super bulky) weight thick and thin yarn. It's doubtful that you'll find anything like that at a local crafting store. You'll probably need to hit up a local yarn store or even buy it online.

Hope that helped a bit!

Ah, that did help!
I'm a sewing type of person, and just recently got into knitting, so I didn't know there was such thing as 'thick and thin' yarn. I was like: 'WTF, why does it do that?' XDD

I found the perfect yarn online, and I actually think I have a pattern in my first knitting book that I can easily modify to work. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:43 pm
Bucket~Turtle
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

Hope that helped a bit!

Ah, that did help!
I'm a sewing type of person, and just recently got into knitting, so I didn't know there was such thing as 'thick and thin' yarn. I was like: 'WTF, why does it do that?' XDD

I found the perfect yarn online, and I actually think I have a pattern in my first knitting book that I can easily modify to work. Thank you so much!

No problem! Glad I could help!  

Catcheen
Crew

Bucket~Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

Hope that helped a bit!

Ah, that did help!

Ah, one last thing. What size of needles would you recommend I use for it? I didn't get like..super bulky yarn, but I did find pretty bulky thick and thin yarn. I got this stuff, only in the right color. I don't know what size of needle I'll need to get the right size for the hat..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:21 am
Bucket~Turtle
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle
Catcheen
Bucket~Turtle

Hope that helped a bit!

Ah, that did help!

Ah, one last thing. What size of needles would you recommend I use for it? I didn't get like..super bulky yarn, but I did find pretty bulky thick and thin yarn. I got this stuff, only in the right color. I don't know what size of needle I'll need to get the right size for the hat..

I'd go with whatever size the yarn calls for.  

Catcheen
Crew

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:49 pm
Ok, I have a question about knitting. I just learned how to cast on, but I'm having trouble with the actual knitting part, I keep messing up when I get to the stitching part, I'm using a how to knit video on YouTube, can anyone help me? Heres a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz5QR0HG0E  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces