Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Art / Writing show and exchange!
Artist Junkyard Chatter and Picture Post Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Af Mas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:19 am
UglyCoyoteNG
Sig art.

I noticed. I like the trainer edit you did. Looks awesome  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:07 am
Is it against the TOS to pay gold for fanart of a copyrighted character, such as a Pokemon? Is it illegal, even when the original creators are credited within the picture?  

FogSage

UglyCoyoteNG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:27 am
Af Mas
UglyCoyoteNG
Sig art.

I noticed. I like the trainer edit you did. Looks awesome
Thanks- I like it too-i'm thinking i might do 'em for everyone-if they want.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 am
Is NG going to get D/P?  

FogSage

UglyCoyoteNG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 pm
NG's got Pearl reserved. ;P have since like...five months ago.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 pm
Oooh... Shiny. I WANT ONE!  

Angel Natavi

Leyla Giselle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:55 pm
FogSage
Is it against the TOS to pay gold for fanart of a copyrighted character, such as a Pokemon? Is it illegal, even when the original creators are credited within the picture?
Actually, it's plain out illegal. It's illegal for any artist to make any profit off fanart.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:04 pm
Alright, but lets say someone creates a character inside a certain 'verse, like digimon or pokemon, then makes profit off of that char. Is that illegal?  

Angel Natavi

FogSage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:29 pm
Leyla Giselle
FogSage
Actually, it's plain out illegal. It's illegal for any artist to make any profit off fanart.

So, unless there's an inherent difference (like the Pokemon being mutated to some degree), it's illegal to draw that character for another person and receive payment for it?

That's got to be the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard. stare So...I can't get fanart done of me then. At all. No matter what. Grand. ******** hate copyrights now.

Since Gaia Gold isn't real currency, I can technically "pay" someone for art done of an Arcanine and get away with it, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 pm
FogSage
Leyla Giselle
FogSage

So, unless there's an inherent difference (like the Pokemon being mutated to some degree), it's illegal to draw that character for another person and receive payment for it?

That's got to be the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard. stare So...I can't get fanart done of me then. At all. No matter what. Grand. ******** hate copyrights now.

Since Gaia Gold isn't real currency, I can technically "pay" someone for art done of an Arcanine and get away with it, right?
Your character isn't copyright, and it only follows characters that have been trademarked.  

Leyla Giselle

Angel Natavi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:43 pm
What I believe the law states is, that you cannot claim creation or ownership of a copywritten chara or storyline. So, you cannot benifit from you saying that you own or you created digimon. Ergo, if you wanted to pay for a picture of Arcanine, it should be okay, from my understanding, to pay for someone to make a picture of it, its just that you can't claim ownership of the idea of arcanine or his design. Only the fanpic.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:28 pm
Leyla Giselle
FogSage
Leyla Giselle
FogSage

Your character isn't copyright, and it only follows characters that have been trademarked.

So long as he states somewhere on there that Arcanine is (c) Pokemon thingy, it's not illegal?  

FogSage

Sirus Jin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 pm
FogSage

So long as he states somewhere on there that Arcanine is (c) Pokemon thingy, it's not illegal?

What the law is basically saying is that you can not make profit off fanart. So if you draw something of Arcanine, and try to sell it, its illegal.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 pm
FogSage

Whether tradmarked or copyrighted, you are not suppose to make any money someone else's creations without direct premission. However, if one is not charging real money then you have a loophole.

Selene Aries

Krissim Klaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:31 pm
Diana Vulpes
FogSage

Whether tradmarked or copyrighted, you are not suppose to make any money someone else's creations without direct premission. However, if one is not charging real money then you have a loophole.
Of course, the owners of pokemon are not going to go banging down on your door if you commission or sell fan art to others. In fact, they are probably thrilled that the interest is great enough that people are making fanart because it means their characters are further getting advertised around and people are so taken with them they are making fan art. In the end it doesn't hurt them that the little fan artists are making a tiny profit off those type of commissions. All they are interested in is making sure no other bigtime corperation tries to steal their characters and market toys/ shows using their goods.  
Art / Writing show and exchange!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games