Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Art / Writing show and exchange!
Artist Junkyard Chatter and Picture Post Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 pm
Krissim Klaw
Of course, the owners of pokemon are not going to go banging down on your door if you commission or sell fan art to others. In fact, they are probably thrilled that the interest is great enough that people are making fanart because it means their characters are further getting advertised around and people are so taken with them they are making fan art. In the end it doesn't hurt them that the little fan artists are making a tiny profit off those type of commissions. All they are interested in is making sure no other bigtime corperation tries to steal their characters and market toys/ shows using their goods.

Yeah... I know Nintendo's position on this subject all too well. sweatdrop For the most part they do not mind fan work, as long as it portrays their property positivly. But they will take and have taken legal action against those that use their trademarked work in ways they disaprove. That is the big differance between copyright and trademarked. Copyright just keeps you from using someone elses work without giving proper credit and sharing any form of profit you make off it, however when something is tradmarked you are not allowed to use the image in anyway the owner disaproves.

WB and Disney have also been known to get pretty nasty when they come across people misusing their property. I read once, an actual news artical, where Disney had a childrens hospital remove its character from the walls of one of the rooms. As well I have seen Nintendo, WB and Disney send cease and desist orders to certain websites and get a few other shut down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 pm
I guess the moral of the story is just be aware of when you are crossing the lines so you know the risk. That, and people can be complete terds as usual. Sheesh, forcing them to remove Disney art at a children's hospital. That's just low. stare  

Krissim Klaw

FogSage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:16 pm
So.....

What you're saying here is that if I ask for fan art here, there's the possibility that Gaia could be threatened and I could be banned and possibly sued?

All for some FANART?!

Jesus. People are so goddamn particular. It's not like I'm going to draw my Arcanine and me fornicating, for God's sakes.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 pm
Don't worry about it fog, the breedables section of Gaia is full of fanart based creatures and so far they haven't had any problems on Gaia. XD  

Krissim Klaw

Angel Natavi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:56 am
Please. Do many people now have done fan arts of popular chars in many rings, like Disney, Pokemon and Digimon, to name a few, that they won't focus on one particular person or group.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 am
New Picture :3

User Image  

Shinigami Whistle

LilKitty115

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:54 am
Too cute!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 am
I see dolls. I can see Manda, Sirus, Affy, and I don't know who the other two are.

Her back.....did she have wings and then have them pulled off or something?  

FogSage

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 am
Angel Natavi
Please. Do many people now have done fan arts of popular chars in many rings, like Disney, Pokemon and Digimon, to name a few, that they won't focus on one particular person or group.

It really depends on the nature of the fan work. Companies such as Nintendo, Disney and WB do in fact have people who's only job is to browse around and looking for sites that are abusing their work. But there are particular red flags they are looking for, such as people trying to make money off their product of portraying their characters in less than reputes fasion.

There is a reason why in the furfandom fan art took a big nose dive, well two reasons actually. Some art host sites were getting heat from companies for their characters being shown in sexual situations and frankly, at some point, drawing your own creations rather than redrawing someone elses characters became more popular within the art cummunity. Way back in the day, most furry art was of popular cartoon characters. While no longer the majority, we of course still see some fan art and those artists that push the envelope by doing more mature work.

The sad part is that some actually go as far as sell their fan work. Jab Archives and Palcomics are probably the two most natorious, that I am aware of, that do this. It isn't something I approve of and is actually illigal, which is why I never give them any of my business. I mean any, to any members to those groups, even legitimate commissions. Then again, some people just don't care and will do anything they think they can get away with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:09 am
FogSage
I see dolls. I can see Manda, Sirus, Affy, and I don't know who the other two are.

the fox is crenn and the one on the bottom is my one friend, he's a kangaroo. Cute guy xD

And the things on her back is a tattoo.  

Shinigami Whistle

Krissim Klaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:46 am
Shinigami Whistle
FogSage

the fox is crenn and the one on the bottom is my one friend, he's a kangaroo. Cute guy xD

Suddenly now I have the strongest desire to make a bunch of plushies of people's fursonias so I can snuggle them all. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:49 am
Krissim Klaw
Shinigami Whistle
FogSage

Suddenly now I have the strongest desire to make a bunch of plushies of people's fursonias so I can snuggle them all. xd

That sounds like a pretty neat idea XD  

Davin_Nightwind

FogSage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 pm
Krissim Klaw
Shinigami Whistle
FogSage

Plushie Fog: OH GOD, THE MANTIS IS COMING! EVERYONE, RUN AWAY!

Everyone: *screams and can't move*

Fog: Oh God....we're PLUSHIES. WE CAN'T GET AWAY! AAAAAAAH!

Krissim: *anime style eye gleam, scoops up everyone and gives them a big mantis hug*

Fog: *head falls off with a SPLAT*

Krissim: ......oops. o.o  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 pm
Why on earth would you want to get away from Krissim? blaugh  

Af Mas

Shinigami Whistle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 pm
I would so make hte cutest, most cuddable plushie ever, man.  
Art / Writing show and exchange!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games