Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fetal Containment Field
Fetus Fridge Version 2.0 (chat thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LadyInWhite

3,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:53 pm
Oh sybex your sho shmart... 4laugh  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:22 pm
This has nothing to do with abortion at all, but I thought I'd ask this question anyhow since there are alot of smart people in this guild and I'm quite confuzzled.

So here it is: What the ******** is up with the controversy surrounding "The Da Vinci Code"?

I was driving to the bank yesterday and noticed a weird sign on someone's lawn. It had this absolutely ghastly image of a blood-soaked Jesus with his eyes rolling into the back of his head, with the words, "I love Jesus Christ! Boycott the Da Vinci Code!" next to it. And a few minutes ago, I tuned in to CN8 Live just in time to catch the results of a web poll asking what viewers felt about the film. 39% responded by saying it was "anti-christian." Seriously, what's up with this s**t? A co-worker of mine said this whole ruckus is because Catholics don't like it when people think about and question the bible. Is that what this is really all about? I mean, don't people realize it's a work of fiction!? What are your thoughts on the subject?  

Talon-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 pm
The book is anti-catholic if anything.

It suggests that Jesus married Mary Magdaline and fathered children with her and that the Vatican, being that at the council of Nicea Jesus's divinity was voted upon (and he won "son of God" instead of "mortal prophet"), was/has been terribly worried that if it were revealed that Jesus had kids that people would somehow reject his divinity.

This is not "anti-christian." It could be considered "anti-catholic church" for suggesting that church might *gasp* go to unreasonable and foolish lengths to keep the sheeple (Because there's never been a realistic precident to chastize them for that... like... say... how they were going to kill Galileo if he didn't recant about the world being round and circling the sun and didn't appologize for being wrong until some 400 years later rolleyes or how we've been lied to for years about MM being a whore, when in fact she was not, but rather she was a wealthy business woman with great power and affluence, or so recent historians say, and the church might appologize for that in another 400 years or so rolleyes ).

You need to realize that though some of the organizations exist, and some of the history is true (such as the council of nicea deciding what is cannon bible and what gospels are not)... the story is fiction. Getting upset over the DaVinci Code is on par with saying Harry Potter teaches children witchcraft (because we all know the sort of spell casting in HP is realistic and perfectly replicatable in the real world, right?).  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:01 am
Talon-chan
The book is anti-catholic if anything.

It suggests that Jesus married Mary Magdaline and fathered children with her and that the Vatican, being that at the council of Nicea Jesus's divinity was voted upon (and he won "son of God" instead of "mortal prophet"), was/has been terribly worried that if it were revealed that Jesus had kids that people would somehow reject his divinity.

This is not "anti-christian." It could be considered "anti-catholic church" for suggesting that church might *gasp* go to unreasonable and foolish lengths to keep the sheeple (Because there's never been a realistic precident to chastize them for that... like... say... how they were going to kill Galileo if he didn't recant about the world being round and circling the sun and didn't appologize for being wrong until some 400 years later rolleyes or how we've been lied to for years about MM being a whore, when in fact she was not, but rather she was a wealthy business woman with great power and affluence, or so recent historians say, and the church might appologize for that in another 400 years or so rolleyes ).

You need to realize that though some of the organizations exist, and some of the history is true (such as the council of nicea deciding what is cannon bible and what gospels are not)... the story is fiction. Getting upset over the DaVinci Code is on par with saying Harry Potter teaches children witchcraft (because we all know the sort of spell casting in HP is realistic and perfectly replicatable in the real world, right?).

Actually, Miss Magdalene was the head of the tribe of Benjamin, Magdalene is literaly a conjoining of the words Mag da lene, which means Central Female Pillar (or something like that) in Hebrew. However, historians contest her legitamacy to the throne of the tribe because she was supposedly caught committing adultry.

My biggest tiff with the book is that it doesn't make any sense.

Even IF everything in it was true, what does someone being related to Mary Magdalene prove? It just shows that Magdalene was having sex with someone, and the church can vindicate their "oh she was a whore/adultress!" position via this. It doesn't prove that the person is descended from Yeshua, for that we'd need HIS body.

And the documents? Those can EASILY be constested. I mean look at the Dead Sea Scrolls; the Church still denies their validity in the face of empyrical dating of the scrolls showing they are from the same time period and various cross referencing pieces of rejected and non-rejected gospel that concur with the scrolls.

Realy, the whole premise of the book is flawed, even though it is an interesting and fun read.  

ThePeerOrlando2

ThePeerOrlando2

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:35 am
Luna Eclipse
This has nothing to do with abortion at all, but I thought I'd ask this question anyhow since there are alot of smart people in this guild and I'm quite confuzzled.

So here it is: What the ******** is up with the controversy surrounding "The Da Vinci Code"?

I was driving to the bank yesterday and noticed a weird sign on someone's lawn. It had this absolutely ghastly image of a blood-soaked Jesus with his eyes rolling into the back of his head, with the words, "I love Jesus Christ! Boycott the Da Vinci Code!" next to it. And a few minutes ago, I tuned in to CN8 Live just in time to catch the results of a web poll asking what viewers felt about the film. 39% responded by saying it was "anti-christian." Seriously, what's up with this s**t? A co-worker of mine said this whole ruckus is because Catholics don't like it when people think about and question the bible. Is that what this is really all about? I mean, don't people realize it's a work of fiction!? What are your thoughts on the subject?

*Points at her sig* Do you no longer love me? sad cry  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:15 am
ThePeerOrlando2
Even IF everything in it was true, what does someone being related to Mary Magdalene prove?

It means you're the son/daughter of god if Jesus was the father.

It'd make a good conversation starter, or act in a talent show.

ThePeerOrlando2
Realy, the whole premise of the book is flawed, even though it is an interesting and fun read.

Dan Brown admitted it was fiction, and that he changed dates to fit in with the story. People seriously need to lighten up. It's just a story.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

ThePeerOrlando2

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 am
MipsyKitten
ThePeerOrlando2
Even IF everything in it was true, what does someone being related to Mary Magdalene prove?

It means you're the son/daughter of god if Jesus was the father.

It'd make a good conversation starter, or act in a talent show.

ThePeerOrlando2

Dan Brown admitted it was fiction, and that he changed dates to fit in with the story. People seriously need to lighten up. It's just a story.

1) I KNOW THAT. But what does being related to MARY MAGDALENE prove? How does having DNA testing done on the tomb of MARY MAGDALENE prove that you are the DESCENDANT OF YESHUA THE CHRIST?

2) I know it's fiction. :/  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:21 pm
The movie of the Da Vinci Code was great, if anyone was wondering. Confusing if you haven't read the book though, apparently (stupid brother and dad, complained about it all after the movie...)

Yes, the book is almost completely fiction, but it's cool to think "What if?" sometimes. People are getting too testy over a single book. If anything, they should boycott "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", where the Brown got the Jesus-bloodline story from. 3nodding Although I've heard Catholics were supposed to be being insightful and tolerant (civilly debating rather than boycotting) of DVC, because of the bad image boycotting and protesting the Passion of the Christ gave them (according to some article out of Time).

Catholics that do stuff like protesting, I mean.

HOORAH, WE HAVE OUR OWN SUBFORUM. mrgreen mrgreen

S. Shark

S. Shark

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:31 pm
Uh, um, is the thread going to be moved sometime soon? Should I PM a mod or somethin'? I want to post my "menu" (tehehe) but it'd be inappropriate for the main forum...

Anyway...

1. HOMG SUMMER VACATION!!1 I'm getting my hair cut real, real short. Then I'll be able to do lotsa weird stuff to it... blue streaks come to mind, as does never having to blowdry my hair again.
2. *slaps self* That's for even going to the pro-life guild. I gain a little respect for 'em, and then lose it all because of two posts. It's like going into war-of-the-sexes threads. Bah, should've expected.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:35 pm
sybex Shark
Uh, um, is the thread going to be moved sometime soon? Should I PM a mod or somethin'? I want to post my "menu" (tehehe) but it'd be inappropriate for the main forum...

Anyway...

1. HOMG SUMMER VACATION!!1 I'm getting my hair cut real, real short. Then I'll be able to do lotsa weird stuff to it... blue streaks come to mind, as does never having to blowdry my hair again.
2. *slaps self* That's for even going to the pro-life guild. I gain a little respect for 'em, and then lose it all because of two posts. It's like going into war-of-the-sexes threads. Bah, should've expected.

*Pat pat* Don't worry. They serve their purpose.

As excellent kindling. ninja  

ThePeerOrlando2

S. Shark

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:48 pm
ThePeerOrlando2
sybex Shark

Anyway...

But human flesh smells horrible when it burns, like dog hair! gonk  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:00 pm
sybex Shark
ThePeerOrlando2
sybex Shark

Anyway...

But human flesh smells horrible when it burns, like dog hair! gonk

That's why we soak them in rosemary oil, lavender oil, and oil of hibiscus.

Oh and we soak cherry wood in water and then embalm them with it.

When they're finished drying, they'll be nice and scented for burning. 3nodding  

ThePeerOrlando2

S. Shark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 pm
LIVE! *beats on fridge's chest 15 times, breathes in it's mouth*

Thread still needs to be moved...

Chatter: My hair is BLUE! Well, kinda green now that it's been two weeks... and why the ******** is Banana Republic so expensive? -o- Me brother got a giftcard, but he's anti-shopping, so I got 'ta use it instead, and three shirts cost just north of 150 bucks (100 of which was the card)! 'Tis why I usually avoid those places like the plague. On the other hand, it took care of school shopping...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:40 pm
*twitch*

$150? If I didn't have bills, I could splurge on a pair of jeans worth that much. *sigh* alas, I need electicity -___-;

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of black t-shirts from Walmart and putting my own patches/doodles on them. Maybe a white one with a little red cross on it. I think that would be cute ^___^

MipsyKitten
Crew

S. Shark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:18 pm
I did not mean to sound ungrateful. sweatdrop

For jeans? -o- Well, if you wear enough jeans, you don't need heating... anyway, the T-shirt idea sounds awesome. 3nodding

Stupid question: Why can my brothers have buzz cuts but I have to get an overcomplicated, overpriced cut from Flamtastic Sam's? (spelling error intended) It looks pretty this way. =o Oh well. When I'm finally in college I'll get it all buzzed off for like, ten bucks at a barber shop. Even if that is, er, three years away.

Fetal Containment Field

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff