Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:09 am
WellzY
And don't worry, there are Australians who make me feel ashamed to be an Australian.

Like the Prime Minister? Oops! *winks and giggles*

In general ... I wouldn't say anyone's really stupid ... just uneducated. A lot of people don't take the time to pick up a book and read something about another place, person or thing. *shrugs* I'd be more inclined to say humanity as a whole is lethargic and suffer from lackadaisical attitudes rather than being stupid. 3nodding I've had times when I've (literally, 'cause I'm silly this way) had to say: This blonde moment brought to you by me, sponsored by Clairol. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 am
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
And don't worry, there are Australians who make me feel ashamed to be an Australian.

In general ... I wouldn't say anyone's really stupid ... just uneducated. A lot of people don't take the time to pick up a book and read something about another place, person or thing. *shrugs* I'd be more inclined to say humanity as a whole is lethargic and suffer from lackadaisical attitudes rather than being stupid. 3nodding I've had times when I've (literally, 'cause I'm silly this way) had to say: This blonde moment brought to you by me, sponsored by Clairol. 4laugh

Wow, I haven't heard that word in ages. xd

But yes I agree, misanthropy FTW!  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:02 am
WellzY
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY

Wow, I haven't heard that word in ages. xd

But yes I agree, misanthropy FTW!

And the interesting thing is, lackadaisical wasn't even the word I wanted to use. But at the time I couldn't think of 'apathetic'. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:51 am
hello people, Im new here.
even though Im american (gasp!) I love australian people. Australia is so much better, way more interesting things.  

nicole_isahottie13

imaginary pi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:30 pm
I haven't posted in a while, so I would like to thank all for the tips. I don't know if I could get away with being Canadian...The American accent is a hard one to cover.

This is an odd little tangent I'm going to go off on here, feel free to ignore.
I listen to a recording type thing that teaches people engligh, US or UK, I listen to the UK first, I was bored, and then the US and wow......Americans speak....hmmm harsher? After listening to the UK voice the American voice was, actually annoying...and I'm from America... So that was my tangent, sorry. I've heard people comment on how harsh Americans spoke before and wanted to say that I understand that now, lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 pm
Asylus
I haven't posted in a while, so I would like to thank all for the tips. I don't know if I could get away with being Canadian...The American accent is a hard one to cover.

This is an odd little tangent I'm going to go off on here, feel free to ignore.
I listen to a recording type thing that teaches people engligh, US or UK, I listen to the UK first, I was bored, and then the US and wow......Americans speak....hmmm harsher? After listening to the UK voice the American voice was, actually annoying...and I'm from America... So that was my tangent, sorry. I've heard people comment on how harsh Americans spoke before and wanted to say that I understand that now, lol.

ahah, so true.
I wish I didnt have an american accent.
sometimes my own voice gives me headaches, but then I just go to sleep.  

nicole_isahottie13

Demonic_Angel_89

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 pm
When people meet me for the first time they all say i have the heaviest aussie accent i reply with "WTF?! accent what freakin accent are you talking about"

I dont think i have one confused neutral Maybe you only notice accents from other people though hmm  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:04 pm
Every Australian has an accent, it's called Australian English. rolleyes

It may not feel like you're got one, because to you your voice is normal, but to most other people around the world, it's not, it's Australian.

UNLESS! You're talking about Australians saying you have a thick Australian accent, in which case you probably sound like a bogan, no offense.  

WellzY
Crew

imaginary pi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:56 pm
I've never given myself a headache but I know plenty of others that have. xp I just thought it was interesting that I could tell a difference. In America, I have a Northern accent...as apposed to western, southern....what others are there? confused  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:55 pm
ok this is competely un realted to anything assuie but i was just woundering if anyone else picked up other peoples accents realy fast.  

Wolfeona The Wise

imaginary pi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Wolfeona The Wise
ok this is competely un realted to anything assuie but i was just woundering if anyone else picked up other peoples accents realy fast.

I picked up an English accent pretty fast, I haven't had an oppertunity to try an Aussie one though.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:13 pm
Asylus
I've never given myself a headache but I know plenty of others that have. xp I just thought it was interesting that I could tell a difference. In America, I have a Northern accent...as apposed to western, southern....what others are there? confused

There are many, so many it would make your head spin. Some say that Upper New York has a different accent to Southern. Then you can get into class distinction in variation.
So really there's class variation, regional variation and even the odd foreigner thrown in the mix so there really are too many to count. Cities, States, Countys, towns, they all at times can claim to have a different accent of regional variation.

Linguist talking here. Sorry. XD  

DNA_Guru
Captain

imaginary pi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 pm
DNA_Guru
Asylus

There are many, so many it would make your head spin. Some say that Upper New York has a different accent to Southern. Then you can get into class distinction in variation.
So really there's class variation, regional variation and even the odd foreigner thrown in the mix so there really are too many to count. Cities, States, Countys, towns, they all at times can claim to have a different accent of regional variation.

Linguist talking here. Sorry. XD

wow....I guess I only know the basic, north, western, and southern accents....plus my state gets crap for saying 'pop' for soda, I say soda because I think pop sounds weird...but thats beyond the point. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm
WellzY
The two major parties are the Liberals and Labour, being the main two parties. At the momment, the Liberals are in a dominant Coalition with a third party, the Nationals. The other third party is The Greens... and I think the rest are basically independants.

Basically, you can vote for whoever you want, and whichever party has 51% or more of the vote becomes the government. This doesn't always happen, hence the need to form a coalition to in affect have a majority of the votes/seats.

actually, the one dubbed the 'third party' is usually the party with more seats after labor and the coalition. at this point in time, it would be the greens, but it was the australian democrats at one point. there are other parties as well, like family first, one nation, christian democrats (formerly fred niles' call to australia party) and others as well  

Lynx Raven Raide

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:04 pm
JewelsSparkle
EmWah
FuzzylilPenguin
You speak english fine, and have the coolest friken accent!

I have a question, do people from new zeland have a different accent then people from australia, my friend said that they did but I thought I would ask you! ninja

Yup, they sure do.

It's really just the pronounciation of the vowels that's different. Like... they say fush and chups instead of fish and chips xp

And "six" is pronopunced "sux"...

Lol, when I was at McDonalds we had a NZ manager named Quinton (later we had another NZ guy work there... also named Quinton... how odd...) & someone was picking on him & pretending not to understand what he meant by "the sux timuh!", until Quinton eventually got really frustrated & yelled out:
"SUX! SUX! The numbah betwoin Fuive & Suhvun! SUX!" Lol... it was so cute.

My fiance's brother-in-law's a Kiwi too... which is always funny...
sorry for replying to old questions like this, but i have to add something here. i was working at Olympic Dam (the copper mine most known for its uranium.... dont get me started on that one...) and there were these 2 kiwis talking over the radios. this chick, her parents were serbian, got on the radio and told them to get the marbles out of their mouth. that shows how different the aussie and kiwi accents are  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff