Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply General Off-Topic Discussion
Random Chatter Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Balcerzak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:28 am
DraconisMaster
Huzzah! My new computer is finished! All I have to do now is get it, set it up, install some of my favorite games, and use my USB stick to transfer over massive amounts of anime, single episode by single episode. (like a good fifty episodes or so) but all the movies (also anime) won't be transferable, since it is only a 256MB stick, although if I was seriously loaded I could get a 4GB stick, that would rock. plus my new computer has 160GB of Hard drive! I hope to find time to slowly slap an AMV together with whatever programs and I can get without breaking my already squished bank account.

Sweet! Good to hear about your computer. It's a shame that some of those movies can't be transfered the way you were thinking, but have you thought about setting up a home network or something, or burning them onto CDs? (a couple other options than expensive 4GB USB stick, that you may or may not have already discounted). Also, it may be possible to just install your old hard drive as a second drive on the new comp, and then transfer the files directly that way. It'd be pretty simple, in fact, I would recommend it, if you know at least kind of what you're doing. Plus it would save stick back-and-forth time and tedium. And yeah, I'll look forward to seeing anything you can churn out on a budget. (Mine turned out fine on a budget of free, IMHO).  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:53 pm
Balcerzak
DraconisMaster
Huzzah! My new computer is finished! All I have to do now is get it, set it up, install some of my favorite games, and use my USB stick to transfer over massive amounts of anime, single episode by single episode. (like a good fifty episodes or so) but all the movies (also anime) won't be transferable, since it is only a 256MB stick, although if I was seriously loaded I could get a 4GB stick, that would rock. plus my new computer has 160GB of Hard drive! I hope to find time to slowly slap an AMV together with whatever programs and I can get without breaking my already squished bank account.

Sweet! Good to hear about your computer. It's a shame that some of those movies can't be transfered the way you were thinking, but have you thought about setting up a home network or something, or burning them onto CDs? (a couple other options than expensive 4GB USB stick, that you may or may not have already discounted). Also, it may be possible to just install your old hard drive as a second drive on the new comp, and then transfer the files directly that way. It'd be pretty simple, in fact, I would recommend it, if you know at least kind of what you're doing. Plus it would save stick back-and-forth time and tedium. And yeah, I'll look forward to seeing anything you can churn out on a budget. (Mine turned out fine on a budget of free, IMHO).

I have, and I might just install the old hard drive, but the only problem is my old computer is a dell, and comes in a fancy compact, non upgradeable Dell computer case, and I am only slightly wary of cracking it open and removing the hard drive. I am wary because I might lose my temper and just open it with a sledgehammer, something I have longed to do for a long time. But it is definitely possible for me to do that, and I might do it, now that I have gotten to thinking about all the stuff that would have to be moved by stick. although it will definitely require some serious cleaning up first.
And just so you all aren't wondering, It hasn't actually arrived at the house yet since My mother hasn't picked it up yet *grumble grumble*  

SC Seung Mina

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm
It is alive! My computer is up and running and it runs beautifully. All we have to do is hook up the second hard drive long enough to transfer all the files over adn we are good and ready to go for quite a while!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:52 pm
DraconisMaster
It is alive! My computer is up and running and it runs beautifully. All we have to do is hook up the second hard drive long enough to transfer all the files over adn we are good and ready to go for quite a while!

That's great news. If I get a thumb drive, which of these 4 should I get? 256, 512, 1 gig, or 4 gig. I've seen them all at decent pricing lately and I'd like your guys input on this  

Firamax

Zahmira

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:57 pm
toshi168
DraconisMaster

That's great news. If I get a thumb drive, which of these 4 should I get? 256, 512, 1 gig, or 4 gig. I've seen them all at decent pricing lately and I'd like your guys input on this
Bigger is better?
I'd go with 1 Gig myself, but I don't really know what your priorities are.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:20 pm
toshi168
DraconisMaster

You shouldn't need anything larger than 1Gb, unless you plan on DVD quality video transfer with it.

I think you should have at least CD capacity though, so no 512 or 256.  

Balcerzak

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:50 pm
So I was thinking...

If we have a sticky for AMV discussion, and a sticky for non-AMV discussion... What's the main guild for? razz  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:41 pm
Balcerzak
toshi168
DraconisMaster

You shouldn't need anything larger than 1Gb, unless you plan on DVD quality video transfer with it.

I think you should have at least CD capacity though, so no 512 or 256.
I got a 256 since it's main job is just paper transfer so I don't have to constantly trade e-mail with myself about papers. but it still depends on what you are using it for.  

SC Seung Mina

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 pm
[Q]
So I was thinking...

If we have a sticky for AMV discussion, and a sticky for non-AMV discussion... What's the main guild for? razz
What is the entire idea of the guild? The better appreciation and sharing of AMVs in Gaia, with the grand hope of bring the joy and wonder that is the AMV to the whole community that is Gaia.
actually we're just a whole bunch of otaku with too much time on our hands.
You trade ideas and critiques here. the AMV discussion thread is just general chat that doesn't require a thread or anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:38 pm
[Q]
So I was thinking...

super specific discussion so it doesn't get lost in the mess of this OT and general AMV discussion.  

trickylove

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:14 pm
It was a joke, you guys. X|  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:54 pm
Ok, my friend made this guild to help out newbs and to , hopefully, break their habit of using chat speak as a form of communication. I'm trying to get people interested in it so we can help the newbs to stop using chat speak which will mean that I can understand what people are posting nowadays. If you are interested in Joining click on the link below and sign up. It might take a day or two for you to be accepted, but my friend is taking more classes than I am, and he's been really busy  

Firamax

Zahmira

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:34 pm
But that link goes to this guild...

I'm all for helping people figure things out, but are you really going to have anyone join who already uses chat speak? They do know how to type normally, they just choose not to...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm
toshi168
Ok, my friend made this guild to help out newbs and to , hopefully, break their habit of using chat speak as a form of communication. I'm trying to get people interested in it so we can help the newbs to stop using chat speak which will mean that I can understand what people are posting nowadays. If you are interested in Joining click on the link below and sign up. It might take a day or two for you to be accepted, but my friend is taking more classes than I am, and he's been really busy

Chat speak is just another way to talk. Like how some people say "y'all" instead of "You all" or "Yo" instead of "You." Just because they speak differently, doesn't mean they're wrong.

It's pretty known that unless you speak like a normal person, you're making yourself look like an idiot. So if they want to look like an idiot and have fun while doing it, let them be.  

[Q]

Elder

Firamax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:01 pm
Zahmira
But that link goes to this guild...

I'm all for helping people figure things out, but are you really going to have anyone join who already uses chat speak? They do know how to type normally, they just choose not to...

I know, but my friend thought it would be nice to give new guys a heads up and to show them the ropes. Also my friend doesn't like seeing the newb crusaders, or whatever they call themselves, jump down peoples throats, so he figures if he can give them all a heads up everything will be good.

@Q: My friend and I realize that, we just don't like the little guys being picked on, both of us having been the little guys at one point or another. Like I said, we just want to give the new guys a heads up, so people won't go jumping down their throats.  
General Off-Topic Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff