Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What kinda Wiccan be ye? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am:
  Traditional
  Neo/Eclectic
  Witch
  Pagan
  Agnostic
  Atheist
  Other...Judaic based
  Other...Non-Christian based
View Results

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:14 pm
XRecluses_LightX
Hey I just joined the forums a few days ago and I have grown curious about what the majority on here think about the "rules" of Wicca and such.

In my studies of come to know that usually Wicca can be divided up into three types:

Orthodox- Also known as Gardnerian. Usually have very strict ideals in Wicca. For instance many believe you MUST be initiated into a coven to be called a Wiccan.

Traditional- I believe this is the majority. People follow many guidelines but are not too strict.

Eclectic- Wiccans who's beliefs vary extremely from person to person and make their own guidelines and such.

Each of course is just as good as the other and some might say that there are no "denominations". This maybe true but I suppose people end up categorizing anyways...woops lol. Just curious on your thoughts!

I guess I should contribute first seeing as this be my thread eh?

I consider myself an Eclectic Wiccan. I practice rituals in a usual form and believe in the lord and the lady and all the forms that they take. I also believe in the usual description of magick. That's where the similarities to canon-if you could say there is such a thing-end.

A lot of my beliefs were influenced by the works of Jane Roberts and the entity she channeled named Seth. I would talk about that but it would take too much space. If anyone is curious just look up Seth Speaks.

Some of the things expressed by Seth were ideas of the multidimensional self, multiple lives going on at the same time, no path un-taken in decisions (see 4th-10th dimension), and the belief that existence has been and always will be.

Yeah so post people!!

::EDIT::

Eclectic Wiccans usually follow the wiccan rede and the threefold law. They almost alway believe something similar to the lord and lady. I believe these things are essential to being called wiccan anyways.

Hello^^ You're a part of another Wiccan guild, too, aren't you? I've seen your name, and you made a topic just like this.

I don't remember which guild though, as I belong to....six now?

Well, I consider myself Eclectic Wiccan, but I do follow a lot of traditional mannerisms as well. I follow my belief in the Lord and Lady, and sometimes I look to specific archetypes (like different gods and goddesses of different pantheons, such as the Egyptian or Celtic).

Most of my views are the same as traditional, but my formulas for doing ritual or spell work are my own. What works for one Wiccan may not work for another, in my opinion.

Hm...not much else to add to that.

Blessed be. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:17 pm
Angel Bruja
I consider myself to be solitary but I think I'm more like an eclectic.

Sometimes solitary and eclectic go hand-in-hand. I'm a solitary too, and a lot of solitaries are eclectic because they learn from various sources. You can be both. There aren't many eclectic covens out there. ^^

Though I've heard of a few.  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

XRecluses_LightX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:34 pm
deadly_siner
Im a Danic Wiccan

I assume you mean Dianic. I have heard of the tradition before but i've never actually met someone who practices it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:26 am
XRecluses_LightX
deadly_siner
Im a Danic Wiccan

I assume you mean Dianic. I have heard of the tradition before but i've never actually met someone who practices it.

It is basically feminist Wicca; some still honour the God along side the Goddess, but he is often slightly inferior.

Others exclude him completely, only honouring the Goddess.

Though I respect their beliefs, I couldn't follow it. Much of it derived around women's add-lib, and though that movement was in the right (equality was still needed) I don't think one gender could be around without the other. Besides, the Horned God (or Green man, however you see him) isn't like the sexist men in our society. In fact, society created sexism.

But, I'm sure you knew that about Dianic Wicca already. ^^  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Rainbowboy20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 pm
I'd be ecclectic  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:36 pm
Eclectic. I looked hard to find an eclectic Coven in my area, but found none. So, I started my own.  

SageRaventree

DragonLadyFreya

6,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:01 pm
I'm Pagan myself, although when I started on my path, I started as an eclectic wiccan.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:06 pm
Was it a smooth transition, DragonLady? Some people have a hard time of it, I've heard, since they'll occasionally mix one faith with the other, rendering it interchangeable.

SageRavenTree: It's odd. I've heard of them existing, but I guess the only reason eclectic covens exist is because people like us couldn't find one already in existence. It's a shame, really. There are still a lot of covens out there that think traditional is the only way to go...

I stay solitary for this purpose. If I were to go to a coven, they would deem me a neophyte, and after working as hard as I have for the last three years, I am not going back to that.  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Mademoiselle Night Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:12 pm
I'm Stregherian.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 pm
Gardnerian Wicca is the only Wicca for me! xp  

Eros Conoirus

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:09 pm
by and by a chose the path of ecclectic wica and i thinkim gonna stick with that  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:09 pm
XRecluses_LightX
Hey I just joined the forums a few days ago and I have grown curious about what the majority on here think about the "rules" of Wicca and such.

In my studies of come to know that usually Wicca can be divided up into three types:

Orthodox- Also known as Gardnerian. Usually have very strict ideals in Wicca. For instance many believe you MUST be initiated into a coven to be called a Wiccan.

Traditional- I believe this is the majority. People follow many guidelines but are not too strict.

Eclectic- Wiccans who's beliefs vary extremely from person to person and make their own guidelines and such.

Each of course is just as good as the other and some might say that there are no "denominations". This maybe true but I suppose people end up categorizing anyways...woops lol. Just curious on your thoughts!

I guess I should contribute first seeing as this be my thread eh?

I consider myself an Eclectic Wiccan. I practice rituals in a usual form and believe in the lord and the lady and all the forms that they take. I also believe in the usual description of magick. That's where the similarities to canon-if you could say there is such a thing-end.

A lot of my beliefs were influenced by the works of Jane Roberts and the entity she channeled named Seth. I would talk about that but it would take too much space. If anyone is curious just look up Seth Speaks.

Some of the things expressed by Seth were ideas of the multidimensional self, multiple lives going on at the same time, no path un-taken in decisions (see 4th-10th dimension), and the belief that existence has been and always will be.

Yeah so post people!!

::EDIT::

Eclectic Wiccans usually follow the wiccan rede and the threefold law. They almost alway believe something similar to the lord and lady. I believe these things are essential to being called wiccan anyways.

Hello everyone! Yes, tis me! I'm trying to filter back into the guilds, so you may start seeing me like you used to ^_^

Ok, there's quite a few things wrong with your post that quite irk me. I feel I should correct you because...well...if I don't, you will have many wrong thoughts on the religion.

1. It's Gardenian, not Gardnerian.

2. Gerald Gardner CREATED Wicca. One of his "rules" that he set up within the religion was that you MUST be initiated by a lineaged witch to be Wiccan. If you have not been initiated you are what is considered a Wiccan Dedicant or a Seeker (like a seeker of knowlede). In wicca this is a FACT. Although if you look at the offshoots (such as eccletic, celtic, dianic and etc.) this may not neccisarily hold true. But in TRUE (orthodox, origina, whatever you want to call it) it is something that is a FACT, not something you can just choose to believe in or not. If you choose not to believe in it, then you are not of the Gardenien path. you are eccletic with a leaning TOWARDS Gardenien.

3. There are FAR more than just 3 groups to seperate people into. Most are actually celtic wiccans.

4. There is no such thing as traditional. (how can you have a traditional religion that hasn't been around for even 100 years, especially within one that is so open to begin with?) What you describe is eccletic with Gardenien leanings. The only thing that might be considered "traditional" is Hedge Witchery. (which doesn't follow any specific gods, it's an herbal tradition)

4. You do not FOLLOW the three-fold law. It's just something that IS. You either believe in it or not and karma either happens to you or it doesn't. You can't FOLLOW karma.

5. In your first sentence you asked what we thought of the "rules" of Wicca, yet you stated nothing of them yourself. (just thought I'd point that out)

I don't mean to be rude or mean or anything like that, I just thought you might like to know the flaws in what you think. If you are angry at my statement, then that is your own loss, as Wicca is a religion about learning and growing.

I myself am eccletic only because I have been forced into solitary practice. The "rules" that I follow are Gardenien, and I beleive mainly in the Lord and Lady, but I do pay worship to Isis and Bastet as well, but not as my main deities.  

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

poison_black

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 am
i'm none of those but theres also Alexandrian, which is my coverns tradition.

theres also
american celtic wicca
australian wicca
the church of y tylwyth teg
church of the cresent moon
circle wicca
deboran witchdom
covern of the forest
frost's wicca
georgian wicca
maidenhill wicca
northern way
nova-wicca
pecti-wicca > from scotland
seax-wicca
thessalonian tradition
farie
dianic > women ONLY
solitary's
and one of my favs Kitchen Witches yumm! 4laugh

this are just SOME of the traditions out there. there are heiratary tradional witchs but this can be hard to prove as heiratary is a line that has never been broken each genertion as practice as the last has done.
these examples are from Bucklands "Complete Book of Witchcraft" i have to read it as part of my dedicant cirriculum. another good book for beginners is Stewart Farrar's "What Witches Do". its a great reference.

books by Silver Raven Wolf, Buckland, Farrer and Cunningham are great books to start with. were all on our way an remember

"Harm none do what thy will"

and ppl dont be afraid of the Horned God he is the symbol of the hunter this has exsisted for over 20,0000 years. ppl back then in the caveman times wore horns as most of the animals they hunted HAD horns. he has been demonised through out the ages just as the goddess Lilith was.
and remember the upside down pentegram is OUR symbol not satanics it is the symbol of the goddess.

never be scared of ur faith

Blessed Be  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm
Actually, the inverted pentgram is NOT our symbol. An upright one is. An inverted one is sometimes used for grounding and binding, but an upright one can be used as well.

An inverted pentagram with the tips of the star peaking out of the circle, IS the satanic symbol.  

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

Ijivirus

Sparkly Hunter

5,800 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:39 am
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully...

Celtic/Faery Wicca

...as when they do it from religious conviction.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games