Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Yarn Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 am
Thank you! :]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:32 am
December Flower: That is absolutely beautiful yarn!

As for fibers: do a Google search for "Sheep and Wool Festival" (there are several dozen in th united states and Canada by region) - it's like a giant fair for knitters and spinners - fibers galore (many of them wools) and other fun things. I went to the New Hampshire one and had a blast.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 am
Lee Kushrenada
here's something I spun.
I took some black wool, and added little bit's of recycled silk to the yarn. then I knitted it up into this funky glove/rist-thingy.
User Image

That turned out really sweet, Lee! The texture rocks. I bet it's comfy to wear too smile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm
Lee Kushrenada
here's something I spun.
I took some black wool, and added little bit's of recycled silk to the yarn. then I knitted it up into this funky glove/rist-thingy.
User Image

Did you use a loom to make that? Or did you use needles?  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:40 pm
sonicrunner001
Lee Kushrenada
here's something I spun.

Did you use a loom to make that? Or did you use needles?

needles, I knitted it. I don't "know how" to weave... I'm shore I could, but ho gor the love of the great crafting God, I can't aford to get into another craft tight now.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:22 pm
For the record, I spun this on a drop spindle, and I'm working on skein number two. xp I can't even think about buying a wheel right now. Well, I can think about it, but that's about all.

I got my spindle and fiber from Hello Yarn. She sells mostly wool fiber, though, so if you're allergic, then that site isn't for you. I haven't bought from anywhere else, so I can't make any recommendations other than that.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:25 am
sonicrunner001
ForestGreen
That is way cool! I've gotta learn to spin someday, perhaps after I learn to knit. whee

If you learn to spin, please learn how spin consistinlty. I've used home spun yarn before, but the spinner didn't spin it evenly. So sometimes I'd have a wad of yarn and other times, it was near non-existant. I hope her bolero that I made doesn't fall apart on her.

Well, spinning consistently would be the eventual goal after all but I doubt I would be able part with my spinning if and when I learn. I've seen commercial yarn that is like the stuff you describe, crocheting with it would be out of the question but I saw a swatch of it knit up and it was really lovely.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:26 pm
ForestGreen
sonicrunner001
ForestGreen
That is way cool! I've gotta learn to spin someday, perhaps after I learn to knit. whee

If you learn to spin, please learn how spin consistinlty. I've used home spun yarn before, but the spinner didn't spin it evenly. So sometimes I'd have a wad of yarn and other times, it was near non-existant. I hope her bolero that I made doesn't fall apart on her.

Well, spinning consistently would be the eventual goal after all but I doubt I would be able part with my spinning if and when I learn. I've seen commercial yarn that is like the stuff you describe, crocheting with it would be out of the question but I saw a swatch of it knit up and it was really lovely.

Well, it's sometimes the eventual goal. Some people like slubby yarn, so even if they are capable of making an even yarn, they still spin with slubs. So, to assume that slubby yarn is due entirely to the skill of the spinner is really unfair.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items