Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A Scientific Poll proposed by turtles rock Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So, what is your age?
  Under 13
  21 or above
View Results

Miko_Sohma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:30 pm
Good topic; this is interesting! 3nodding I'm 17.

I always assumed that most people in this guild were around my age, or a bit older, as this is definitely a more mature guild than most. Having good grammar and spelling out words properly is really more a matter of maturity than intelligence, because it is a choice.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:20 am
I'm finished with this project. I know that 20 people polled is hardly an adequate sampling. I remember reading somewhere that the magic number was 200, but it would have been impossible to keep a poll going that long.

For the averages: I've counted (21 and above) simply as 21 and (12 and under) simply as 12. This makes a very big difference to the averages, so please keep this in mind.

Average age in the Guild: 17.6 rounds up to 18

Average age I sampled in the ChatterBox: 16.3 rounds down to 16

Not exactly the vast dynamic that everyone suspected, is it?

So what really sets a part from the Gaian proper?

Are we in AP classes, come from better schools, more affluent, or do we just care more?

It is still a mystery, because I'm not running another one of these polls again. You are on your own.

On an interesting side note: babblefish.com now has a translator that translates common internet acronyms. They also have articles based on the decay of English. It might be fun to check out in your spare times.  

Niccea Majeare

turtles rock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:19 am
Hey!
This thread was started because of a question I asked!
That's really awesome!

P.S. I'm 23 years young. heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:13 pm
This is an awesome idea for a poll.

I heart Math!

For the poll here in the Grammar guild, taking into account the two people who posted their ages in the thread as 23 and 28 and listing everybody else 'over 21' as 21 and 'under 13' as 12 the:
Ccurrent average is:
17 years, 9 months, and 7 days
Current Mode:
21+ (Technically, it should probably be 16 since that has the most people at a specific age.)
(26 polled)

For the poll which you placed in the chatterbox (and I can't believe you didn't get more results just from people poll whoring), taking into account all people listed as 21+ as 21 (since no one posted their ages) and those 12- as 12 the:
Current average is:
16 years, 4 months, and 18 days
Current Mode:
17 (This doesn't actually need a disclaimer... but I put one here anyway so you would know this is technically correct.)
(21 polled)

I also bumped your chatterbox thread, because I'm betting it will be getting busier now and I want to see what other results come up. I don't know what time zone you're in, but mine lists your poll as coming out at 10am. That's not typically prime Gaia hours.

I heart Math so hard. You have no idea how much fun I'm having right now. I was tempting to go into hours and minutes for the average, but figured that would be a bit extreme.

Note: I only voted in the Grammar Guild thread. I rarely Chatterbox.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:16 am
turtles rock
Hey!
That's really awesome!

Hey, I'm turning 23 next month!! Yayy!!

It's nice to see that there's a substantial amount of "21 and older" people in here. Makes me feel less geeky. mrgreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:31 am
Im thirteen <3  

Sharifah

turtles rock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:09 pm
Fuku Taichou
turtles rock
Hey!
That's really awesome!

Hey, I'm turning 23 next month!! Yayy!!

It's nice to see that there's a substantial amount of "21 and older" people in here. Makes me feel less geeky. mrgreen

I completely agree with you.
Happy Early Birthday!!!
*throws confetti!*

mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:12 pm
I'm thirteen... One of four, apparently. Or, at least, one of four people who've taken the poll.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:58 pm
I took the poll, but I'm not telling. You'd have to figure it out 3nodding

So... I think we might want to do a true test. The Gaia poll system only lets you have ten options, and I would like to see a true average. With all the over 21's, I think it might make a difference.

It's probably not going to happen, though gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 am
Wow, I'm glad to see that this thread is still alive. smile  

turtles rock

Kitsune Kit Kaguya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:33 pm
Niccea Majeare
In the discussion: "Loss of Literacy in Modern America," one of the other members, turtles rock, said this:

turtles rock
May I ask you guys a simple question?
Has anyone taken the average age of this guild?

I think that we are, perhaps, the most intellectual group of individuals on Gaia.

Good job, mates!

I don't see what age has to do with intellect, but I am also interested in the age dynamic of this guild. On average, are the guild members just wise beyond their years, or just older than the general Gaia rabble?

So if everyone would be nice and answer the poll TRUTHFULLY, my work here will be done.

Just for general information, I'm 19.

Note to Mods: I apologize if this is in the wrong area. If it is, will you please move it for me? I am really interested in it.

Age does tend to expand one's language centers of the brain. (Or so I learned in AP Psychology) biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:07 am
Kipluck
redface I am, sadly enough, 28. I assume I am one of the oldest here.

You are not much older than I am, Kipluck, I'm 26. My wife, Danielle DeArdent, is 27. I think that the majority of Gaia users are in the younger age bracket, and I don't think it is fair to tie intellect to age. I spent the majority of my youth in advanced learning facilities, the curriculum of which I now find listed in most private or academic schools that boast a more 'public' curriculum.

I think that, any way you slice it, kids are just being raised smarter as a counter balance to the degree of mindless media material they are exposed to. With how much soulless music they listen to, books they read or programs they watch with little to no definitive plot structure or intellectual content, I think they have to push them in schools in order for them to keep up with how our society's level of intellectual construction is rising.

I consider myself fairly intelligent, but I realize that by the time my children are my age, they'll know exponentially greater things than I could ever conceive of.  

Professor Armitage

Lupine Gearhead

11,450 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Tezur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 pm
23. But I am amazed at that poll... O_O;  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Actually, I'm in all IB (International Baccalaureate) and AP (Advanced Placement) classes. I don't think it matters though, because while in MYP-IB (Middle Years Program - IB), I used "txt-tlk". I just think it's a sign of mental maturity when people realize text talk isn't going to get them anywhere in life. I mean, which boss wants a document typed up in a grotesque language?  

Zealot of Insanity

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm
There are so many people who are older than me!
I feel small crying  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces