Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Top Ten Things that annoys knitters Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:46 pm
running out of yarn 2 rounds from the end of a project

And I totally second Tinuval's "Gauge swatches lie"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:47 pm
What really pisses me off are the knitting snobs. "Oh, that yarn feels good! What is it?" "Caron simply soft." "Oh." with the Oh disapproving. 3nodding Thats annoys me.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:52 pm
kochi~mochi
What really pisses me off are the knitting snobs. "Oh, that yarn feels good! What is it?" "Caron simply soft." "Oh." with the Oh disapproving. 3nodding Thats annoys me.

Totally.

They make a new high end yarn now called "Fantasy" (put out by Dark Horse Fibers I think) It's billed as being softer than cashmere, and 100% washable. Touching it, it feels like petting a cloud.

Fiber content? 50% acrylic 50% nylon

Take that fiber snobs *chuckle*  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 pm
When people ask you about your knitting (while you're counting the rows, WITHOUT a row counter) and when they've gone away, you forget what row you're on.  

Sugar Bandit

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:59 pm
Clear Bubble
When people ask you about your knitting (while you're counting the rows, WITHOUT a row counter) and when they've gone away, you forget what row you're on.

Or even yet, you are crocheting (or knitting) something that is fairly obvious of what it is, and they STILL ask you. (or even worse, you just told the guy next to them in a very loud voice what you are making, and they still ask you. grrrrr.....)
I also hate it when you pull yarn out of a faily new skein and it gives you a glob of yarn and you have to stop for a few mintues to straighten it out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:46 pm
How about losing counters?

(And then finding them months later in your couch............)  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Alekusu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 pm
Peppermint Elf
knitting_needle_ninja
I'm going to have to agree with Tinuvial on the "lying gauge swatches"--that's been a real problem for me lately. Forget making two identical anything.
I'm going to agree with this one. I was crocheting a capelet and the gauge for the little flower links were spot on. I had to go up 5 hook sizes and I still couldn't get gauge for the neck opening! I ended up chucking it all. xp

Also, excessive knots in mass produced yarn. It's acceptable to have one where maybe there's an accident and the yarn breaks off/ends and needs to be joined. But 4? Come on! You need to just chuck that skein into the bin as a defect and start again... not sell it!

I had the same problem the other day. I ran into like 5 knots  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:29 pm
Peppermint Elf

Also, excessive knots in mass produced yarn. It's acceptable to have one where maybe there's an accident and the yarn breaks off/ends and needs to be joined. But 4? Come on! You need to just chuck that skein into the bin as a defect and start again... not sell it!

I've had that problem A LOT with Bernat yarns. I had like three knots one after the other. So I took apart the two, maybe two inch bits making up extra knots and just tied the long bits back together.

On a side note.
ninja Dibs on the reject/defect bin. ninja

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 am
Gensei Kitsune
Peppermint Elf

I've had that problem A LOT with Bernat yarns. I had like three knots one after the other. So I took apart the two, maybe two inch bits making up extra knots and just tied the long bits back together.

On a side note.
ninja Dibs on the reject/defect bin. ninja

I had that issue with a skein of Caon Simply Soft. 6 knots, one skein. If I wasnt half way thorugh it when the issues started, I would have returned it. ><

And I third (? fourth?) the thought on yarn snobs. I get odd looks for using CSS all the time. But I love it. Its soft, cheap, and fun to work with.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 am
I have to speak up on behalf of "yarn snobs" because it sounds like you guys would consider me one. O.o

It's true that I avoid yarns with high acrylic content - not because they're cheap. I avoid them because acrylic makes my hands feel sweaty when I work with it (and when I wear the garment later). Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.

I've found that it's nicer (and potentially safer) to knit with non-acrylic.

I never really considered myself a yarn snob, but maybe this means that I am. redface  

Tinuvial

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:52 am
Tinuvial
I have to speak up on behalf of "yarn snobs" because it sounds like you guys would consider me one. O.o

It's true that I avoid yarns with high acrylic content - not because they're cheap. I avoid them because acrylic makes my hands feel sweaty when I work with it (and when I wear the garment later). Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.

I've found that it's nicer (and potentially safer) to knit with non-acrylic.

I never really considered myself a yarn snob, but maybe this means that I am. redface

I don't really think yarn snobbery can be considered a war of natural vs. synthetic. I rarely use acrylic anymore either. That's not because I have any hate against Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Super Soft... it's because I love wool. Simple good plain wool is my fav.

I think yarn snobbery is luxury fiber vs. simple fiber. When you start going "Oh my god, you're using plain old fisherman's wool (Or super soft or what have you) Why aren't you using this hand painted, hand dyed, luxury spun silk alpaca mix?" that's yarn snobbery

(Not that I would mind a silk alpaca mix.... Mmm... that would be yummy. I just don't believe *ALL* my yarn purchases have to come from the high end yarn shop. I'm an equal opportunity knitter)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 am
As acrylics go, I think Caron's Simply Soft is one of the better ones. I do admit to buying Red Heart, but it was to make a stiff bag, so the cheap stiff acrylic was perfect. xd I do buy acrylics, but I really prefer merino. This might be because acrylics make super shitty socks, while wool reigns supreme.

I think what counts most is "Is it pretty?" and "Is it soft?". If I find an acrylic that meets both, I buy it. Same with wool.

And the skein with all the knots in it was from elann.com. Very disappointing. sad

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

bookaholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 pm
Dropping stitches and not seeing it until five rows later.

That happens to me a LOT.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:35 pm
Peppermint Elf

I think what counts most is "Is it pretty?" and "Is it soft?". If I find an acrylic that meets both, I buy it. Same with wool.

Agreed. 100%

bookaholic
Dropping stitches and not seeing it until five rows later.

That happens to me a LOT.

Try putting a crochet hook in your bag and check out the stitch doctor section of Stitch n B***h or any other knitting guide (or get a knitting friend) to show you how to pick up stitches - it has an easy fix (which I am sure glad of!) that will save you lots of headaches smile  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:14 pm
Tinuvial

Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.
:

That's why they invented baby weight yarn. (I don't mean to be rude, and if it comes off as rude, I apologize) If you have ever looked at the fiber content of baby wieght yarn, it is usually cotton or some other non acrylic or wool content.

Does anybody have a cool knit hat pattern they would like to share. (that they can share)

YourAzureGoddess wrote
Try putting a crochet hook in your bag....

You have to be careful of putting a hook in your bag. (especially if you mad the bag out of yarn in a very loose stitch, true story) I would suggest finding someone who knows how to crochenit, and ask them to make this. http://pandacrochet.8m.com/hookcase.html  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff