Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I propose... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Because I can...
  gold
View Results

Error Access Denied

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:45 pm
I like the point that Tonberry points out here.

Tonberry Teh Haxxor
These are not the same.
People here, and on video games I play use the word "hack" incorrectly.
When you are tricked into giving away your password or an item, you are scammed.
When you go to a website that isn't Gaia and type in your login, you are phished.
Hacking takes alot more skill and knowledge than scamming, and possibly phishing.
I doubt that someone with the talent to hack into computers and servers and whatnot would hack into Gaia, and take accounts.

It makes better since. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:56 pm
AnnaCelestia
The Great Reconteur
chrystalclear
As great an idea as it might be, is it really necessary? He's been reported, and spamming him isn't going to help. I mean, it's just there to bother him, irritate him, etc. Plus, it can get you banned. The irony of that would be just sickening. If you've told the admins enough, and similar things have happened, they may just ban his IP address and accounts altogether. A bit harsh, and it may affect a couple other users, but it would solve the problem for a short while. Besides, even if they do that, there are plenty of other nasty, malicious hackers just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

On a side note, Yahoo! did an extremely wonderful thing a couple weeks back. It advertised and practically gave hackers and spammers a great tool: a site that gives you a random e-mail address for 10 minutes just for creating accounts and stuff. Lovely, isn't it?

Well, as you can tell we have already discussed all of that. Even so, now that he knows that he has been reported and is being widely displayed for the fraud that he is do you think that he would really go back on that account and care to bother with reporting everyone for their ranting comments? I don't think he would care much or really want to spend the time doing all of that. It would be pretty pointless. Besides, wouldn't people be more cautious now that they have a reminder of hackers on the site? So, hopefully, lessening the chances of the other nasty, malicious hackers of actually succeeding? I mean, unless they can find a way to change their screen name to appear to be a different color--such as the admins-- to fool their victims. I don't know if anyone has really noticed that the administrators have different color names unlike the usual blue/black colors for normal members. Of course, even that may not help members from the hackers. Especially now that the site is giving out applications to become an administrator. Even so, everyone should be aware that they do not ask for personal information in P.M.s, or even e-mails.

Either way, wouldn't it be nice to at least attempt to keep Gaia a hacker free environment instead of just sitting back and doing nothing about it? At least the bold will attempt to do something about it to help keep another victim safe. Why let them get away with it? True, "spamming" him won't do anything to really help, but at least it's not really harming anyone. Words are only words that can be taken in whatever way the person wants to take it. Of course, just giving him a normal comment isn't like spamming at all, now is it? Saying what you want to say is much different than spamming...is it not?

Hackers have been around since the internet's birth, and it's not exactly a problem that will go away. The best you can do is avoid it altogether, or not go on much like I do. Maybe I'm sounding selfish here...hackers can follow you around on any computer terminal, unless you just not go on the net for too long. Find a way to make your computer more inaccessible, like shutting it off when you are done. It will most likely leave hackers no choice but to send a message, which you can delete. Even though it doesn't happen too often, if a hacker keeps sending you messages just keep deleting them, and s/he will go away. It's the best advice I can give you, but trust me, it works. 3nodding

Well, I'm normally not on all that often. I get on for a short amount of time, and then I'm off again. So I don't really have any worries of hackers, or being scammed to giving away my password, etc. Besides, the actual hackers would probably go for other things instead of some silly Gaian account. Thanks to Tonberry I can say that my boyfriend wasn't hacked, but scammed. Anyhow, there isn't anything on my computer that hackers would even care to want to hack into. I'm sure that there are phishers out there that go for the smaller bait, or even people that try to scam people.

I guess it really doesn't matter either way. I'm pretty aware of all of this. Although, speaking about Gaia and getting scammed is pretty pathetic in the first place. I mean, it's common sense anyway to not give away your password. Sadly, there are people out there gullible enough who fall for such a trick. So, I don't think worrying about hackers on Gaia will be necessary. Not unless there is a hacker that can get in without having to message or whatever. But what are the likeliness of that happening? Pretty slim I would think.........

sweatdrop Sorry, I've been trying to stay on topic here, but I've been slowly drifting away from it....I have lost all train of thought....I know we're talking about hackers, but I totally forgot what I was trying to say. lol It looks like the point here has been lost. rofl Oh, well. I'm getting bored just talking about it. How about we change subject? xp  

Error Access Denied

Amaya84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:08 am
Good idea. Discussion closed. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 am
Good. razz  

Error Access Denied

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am
Ya know, you could report the accounts, instead. confused It'd do a lot more good.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff