Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
World Religion 101- historical facts and myths Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What Religion Do You Adhere To?
  Islam
  Judaism
  Christianity
  Hinduism
  Wicca
  Other (Pantheistic)
  Other (Monotheitisc)
  Buddhism
  Atheism
  Agnostic/Not Sure/None
View Results

Bellabie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:39 pm
dronze
it's also the diety of alt-rock, before it became all tainted by courtney love.

Heh, what a jest you are.
b  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 am
Say, what are the ideas regarding homosexuals and abortion in such religions? Does Buddhism have qualms with abortion? What are the ideas of Islam on topics such as lesbian/gay marriages? What do the teachings of Hindu reflect?  

Bellabie

Krusadin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:08 am
I've seen some hindu temples in documents decorated with naked figures of both males and females. The way their bodies are entwined together, and the sexual image it gives I'd say hindus are pretty liberate about gay marriadges...that's just the impression I've had however. A mere guess.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 am
The temples you have seen do depict both homosexuality and heterosexuality, sometimes in the same panel. There's a lot of "assistance" going on, to. Most of tese scenes are of orgy-like conditions, and probably refer to holidays and celebrations, not everyday occurances, especially since some of the depicted male-on male action is between monks and Brahman visitors. If my parents hadn't taken my forbidden coffee table book of those images and temples when I was younger I could have answered your question better, but I'm working off of memory here.

There is a hindu "third sex" I am not familiar with the concept, but the wikipedia article on Homosexuality and Hinduism mentions it a little more in depth. It looks like an alternate gender for people who are not "straight" as Western thought knows the term, and is considered a natural tendancy from birth.

It would seem that even in the Vedas there was discrimination against men who had no desire for women (again, no mention of women with no desire for men. I find this absence of mention odd.)

In 400CE, there was a law written that forbade homosexual marriage in Hindi culture. It is still in effect today. I would like to point out, however, that SOME third gender citizens have married. Since they are not technically either man or woman, it would not violate the law.

Look up the Manu Smirti for laws and punishments (these are only for certain upper castes, so keep that in mind)

The Kama Sutra, itself an interesting read, DOES give instructions so that members of the third gender as well as females can perform oral sex on men. It does go on the say that the act is intended to be between men and women and scorned by the upper caste, which is a cop out of the highest order. Eventually the Kama Sutra mentions lesbian activity, which eventually (though I think not in the Kama Sutra itself) is denounced as an ill-treatment of other women. Quite unfair.

There was medical recognition back in previous centuries of the passive and agressive roles, as well as a POSSIBILITY for lesbian conception, though the text stated the child would be born boneless. I find this interesting, and will look into it further.

I read that the Hindi language/culture has words for over 20 different sexual preferences, all determined at birth.

There is a god presiding over castration and transsexuality in contemporary Hinduism, though I do not know how LONG that god has held that role.. Saints change their patronages, so Hindu gods may do the same.

Modern India is a horrible place to be if you are gay, as sex between men is illegal (no mention of between women in the article I saw...) but not usually prosecuted.  

Lady Rayya

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 am
on a side not, one can worship a Hindu god in their "iṣṭa devatā," or "chosen form." this is where we get our word Avatar, which is popularly shortened to "avi."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:44 pm
Illegal? My...
Thank you very much, milady.
Your wisdom is vast, I am grateful that you share it. Have we any Buddhists or otherwise to answer about abortion? I believe that there is something that says (pertaining to Christianity, now) that babies and women in childbirth "go straight to heaven." (Do not pass purgatory do not collect 200 dollars. Ahem, forgive my joking) How does this relate to other religions? In Buddhism, do you become tainted or purified as you grow older? Would a child be "advanced" in their reincarnation by an early death? (I do not know how to phrase this properly, please forgive my ignorance.)
b  

Bellabie

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:28 pm
I thought, in catholicism at least, unbaptized babies go to the limbo section of purgatory, the not punished but just THERE stage....... My father was raised Catholic, but he wasn't very forthcoming on that particular bit of things. I personally have never heard any mention of babies/women having babies going straight to heaven....

as for the Buddhism Q's, the process of aging has no effect... it is only by your deeds that you become "purified," so if you grew to an advanced age being a good person, you advance. Children don;t get as much chance and will be reborn with the same karma as they died wth. That's at least how I understand it....

If I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am
Thank you for all this information...I got a question about Wiccas. I rarely hear about them and would like to know what they concider as the purpose of life.  

Krusadin

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:03 am
I honestly don't know that one. I know there are quite a few Wiccans out there, maybe they could answer this one? sorry.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am
We're merely here to put as much good into the universe as we can, that's all.

We are merely the children of the Earth.

Besides, bad karma carries a heavy price tag.  

dronze
Vice Captain

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm
How does Wicca's concept of Karma compare to Buddhism ad Hinduism's? Are they they same, or was it modified any?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:24 am
Hm, yes. I wish I knew enough to answer those questions, because it seems interenting to know.
Also, (more of a history lesson, than anything) What religion was brought in during China's cultural revolution? Anything?  

Bellabie

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:52 am
religion wasn't brought in, in fact, religion was shunned as an outdated expression of evil non-communist ideals, along with antiques, instruments, art, stamps, and anything remotely resembling fun. Books, too. I would have killed somebody if they touched my library.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:08 pm
I had thought so, but I wasn't sure. My, we seem to be lacking vastly (according to the poll) in many religions. I wish that we could have a few more first-account responses...

Does anyone know much about Central Sfrican (or altogether African) religions? I'd like to learn aboutmissionaries there, as well, but does anyone know some things about indiginous or aboriginous (I haven't a clue if such a word exists) religious practices and beliefs?  

Bellabie

Lady Rayya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:45 pm
I'm not very informed on any of those... I CAN do a little research into Zulu traditions, though... That's Southern Africa....  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff