Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:17 am
Amazing-Ness287
SBT: so, you beat his samus, then he beat you with IC, then Marth? It was double elimination I assume? Isn't there a rule where the winner can't change their character? meaning, he had to pick IC again in the third round?

Kakashi-the best ninga
I went to a video game store tournament, and I got in second place because I matched up with most of my friends and I beat them with my ness but then I played a samus player who was okay and I lost but I got a "who are you" shirt from nintendo for getting second

then I got first place In a high school tournament with my ness... I didn't know how to wave dash back then but now I know and I'm much better

Wow, someone who mains ness besides me! I want to play you! gonk

Not at all. It's usually winner get first pick at new character, and loser gets stage. They've never had a rule where you have to stay as a character.

And it was a friendly anyway. ^ ^ He went IC's first, then Samus, then Marth on Battlefield. gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:48 pm
SilentBlackTiger

Not at all. It's usually winner get first pick at new character, and loser gets stage. They've never had a rule where you have to stay as a character.

And it was a friendly anyway. ^ ^ He went IC's first, then Samus, then Marth on Battlefield. gonk

That's odd, in the tourneys down here, the loser gets to change their character, winner keeps theirs and gets to pick the stage.

but if it was friendlies, then i guess it doesnt matter.

Amazing-Ness287
SBT: so, you beat his samus, then he beat you with IC, then Marth? It was double elimination I assume? Isn't there a rule where the winner can't change their character? meaning, he had to pick IC again in the third round?

er... meant to say best two out of 3 there ^^;  

Amazing-Ness287
Vice Captain

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:54 pm
Amazing-Ness287
SilentBlackTiger

That's odd, in the tourneys down here, the loser gets to change their character, winner keeps theirs and gets to pick the stage.

Amazing-Ness287

O_O Wow... that's odd. I never heard of it being done that way.

Well, to each state their own. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:18 pm
same here. I'll ask my smash mentor about it.

the other day at school, me and an old high school friend (currently a freshman at uni) teamed up against the guy that i mentioned in my last post in this thread (he had a partner too)

so they kill my friend, and I'm down to my last life...my oponents have three stock in total.... you know the rest cool  

Amazing-Ness287
Vice Captain

Sio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:06 am
SilentBlackTiger
Amazing-Ness287
SilentBlackTiger

Amazing-Ness287

That's not unusual. "Advanced Slob Pick". Sound familiar?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:57 am
Sio
SilentBlackTiger
Amazing-Ness287
SilentBlackTiger

Amazing-Ness287

That's not unusual. "Advanced Slob Pick". Sound familiar?

:nods: Gotcha. Always wondered what that was. I guess it really hasn't been put into effect around here.

That's a my bad, folks. sweatdrop  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Amazing-Ness287
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:17 am
i just read the MLG thing on advanced slob picks, and from what it sounds like, the winner can change their character?
Quote:

Advanced Slob Picks: Quite possibly one of the most important aspects of competitive Smash is Advanced Slob Picks. The name went through an evolution over the years. At first, it was just known as Slob Picks because the loser was allowed to view the winner's character before selecting their own (the loser being the "slob"). However, a new addition was made to this, allowing the loser to also select the stage, creating the full version as we know it today. The idea behind this? Essentially, the first game in a match is made to be as neutral as possible. You choose your character without the opponent's knowledge (known as double-blind character selection), and the stage is subsequently set to be as neutral as possible (you either both agree on it, or it is selected automatically from the seven Random Select stages).

The match afterwards is a quite a bit different. It is set up to give the loser of the first game several advantages in an attempt to counter the person who beat them. For starters, the loser selects the stage before either player chooses a character. Knowing about stage selections is very important; for example, a Peach player would prefer a stage with a higher ceiling and further walls to benefit her recovery abilities, while a character with weaker recovery abilities, like Roy, would prefer a stage with slimmer walls so both characters are at the same disadvantage. Being able to recover twice the distance of your opponent becomes pointless when you can't apply that recovery because the stage is too small. This is one of the first instances where your overall knowledge of the game comes into play. If you won the first match, and you hear the stage called out "Kirby 64," you may be able to take a guess at the character your opponent will choose (this stage is considered recovery friendly, so think Peach, Samus, and JigglyPuff).

Now, if you won the first match, and if you have no inkling of what character your opponent will be choosing, there are many choices you will have to make. First, evaluate the first game. Was it close? Does my opponent have the skill to use other characters to counter me? Do I have other characters I can play? What other characters that I can play will fit well with this new level? Do I want to give away how my best character plays during a game where I am at a disadvantage? If I lose this game, am I confident I can run it back in the third game, making this one irrelevant?

its not entirely the same.. but close enough i think. I'll ask broly about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 pm
It's based around the idea of counter picking. The winner is free to change their character, but the loser gets to pick second.  

Sio

Super Smash Bros. Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces