Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super-Happy-Fun-Time Guild

Back to Guilds

A fun place to make both friends and gold. 

Tags: giveaway, game, gold, contest, free 

Reply Contests, Giveaways, and General Chat
What is the weirdest kind of food you've tasted? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:35 am
Hmmmm... There's adobo. It's filipino stew. We either use chicken, pork, beef, dog, cat, and rat. Yep, I mentioned a dog, cat and rat/mice. My family only cooks chicken, pork, and beef. Other filipino cooks the latter. Dogs here are what we call askal or asong kalye which means street dog/stray dog. Same with the cats. The rats are not commonly known as rats their called field mice/rats.

We have litson sawa which is called roast/smoked snake/python. There's also the skin of the python turned into something called chicharon also called deep fried crackers.

There's balot( ba-lo-t). It's an unborn chick around 6 weeks or so which is either boiled, stewed, deep fried, steamed. It's a delicacy though high in cholesterol but it is said to make your sub grow bigger and makes your knees much stronger.

There's sisig usually made from pig left overs. It's face and innards then is served with on a sizzling platter.

There's isaw( isa-w) which is chicken intestines cooked like barbecue.

There's locust dipped in honey and fried.

There's snake's blood mixed in wine.

There's jellyfish also. Served as cold cuts. It's really served spicy and delicious. It's like noodles.

There's many more. So I invite you guys to go to Asia and explore and try the exotic food of the tropics.

Btw, I'm chinese.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:38 am
That's a lot of weird food right there surprised

The sisig, adobo, isaw, and locust in honey actually sound delicious razz

The jellyfish is weird, but I can picture it.

But snake blood?! Most people around here would think that's something used in cults, seriously. Not me, though, I'm just surprised, so don't misunderstand, please. That actually sounds expensive. Is it some kind of refined drink? Have you tasted it? If you have, how does it taste? I'm really curious about this one, specially because I've never tasted blood of anything before.

By the way, about Sheer-inmortal question, the usual american breakfast (toasted bread, bacon, eggs) is considered a rarity over here, something that only rich people does. One of the favorite breakfasts around here are arepas, which is flour mass given round shape, fried (Can be cooked in other ways for healthier options) and then opened in half to put inside whatever you want. I like mine with mayo, cheese and ham. Empanadas are really popular as well. Those are made out of different kinds of masses and most times have the shape of a D. Those are also filled with many kinds of ingredients, going from cheese to octopus. The same is done with arepas as well.  

j-factor762

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:53 pm
ooo, arepas sound good, almost like a grilled-cheese sandwich 3nodding I've heard of empanadas before, but didn't know what they were - they sound good, too ^.^ I'ma have to go recipe-hunting xD

megachocobo2002 - Hehe, I would have total culture shock if I ate with you, unless you didn't tell me what the ingredients were before I tried it. xD

It kinda reminds me of this one Thanksgiving meal when I was a kid...I've been helping my mom cook ever since I could read, so I knew what giblet gravy was, and what giblets were. But this one Thanksgiving, my cousins were over, and one of them asked what the gravy was, so I told her, and she was like, "what are giblets?" She about threw up when I told her she had been eating turkey innards xD (and to be honest, I was pretty grossed out when I found out, too, but I knew that the gravy was good, so I got over my grossed-out-ness pretty quickly wink )  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 pm
Megachocabo, most of the foods you mentioned sound delicious! Well..maybe except for the jellyfish, since I don't like to eat squishy, chewy foods (though my parents love eating jellyfish...).
What kinds of wine do you mix with the snake's blood?  

Xioungshou

Dapper Hunter

700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:08 pm
The snake's blood tastes very thick( That's all I could say:Sweat: since it's been mixed in alcohol.), usually it's mixed in gin, whisky, and rum. Any alcoholic drinks that has strong spirit.

Some people would think it's a cult but it isn't.. It was a tradition to ancient filipino warriors to drink the blood of the snake with what they call tu-ba which is known as sugar cane wine when they have caught a snake. They believe that the snake has healing properties 'til the colonists came and made the people too superstitious in Christian belief saying the snake is the symbol of evil and blah. Snakes are usually a rarity and very expensive a python would cost 250,000 php per kilogram. They usually weigh like an average guy of around 20 or something, correct me if I'm wrong. 1 Dollar to Php rate is around 45 Php. So it would cost around 11,250,000 php. It's really pricey so what happens is that the merchants would sell them very young as long as they can sell it in 1 million Php. Usually, people can't afford so they hunt for one. It's usually been found in the provinces here in the Philippines. About cults, there are these people called albularyos here, they're what you call herbs men or to others witch doctors. They do stuffs like faith healing, exorcism, blessing, fortune telling and many more. They're popular to Philippine Occult. They use chicken's blood to appease the spirits of a certain place before uprooting the area.

Empanadas are quite popular here too. It's usually ground meat, with carrot, peas and raisins. They're very tasty.

Are arepas like pita bread? The one they use in shawarmas?

I was really shock myself when I asked my mom what's gravy.

Addition to weird foods are live octopus chopped and served still moving. It's not recommended though since this food would really fight back and I mean fight back.

Try poisonous blow fishes they'r really spicy.

Hmmm... There's muslim restaurant here near my place where they sell monkeys for dessert. Brain jello!!!! They'll dance til you eat all their brain and froth their mouth til they're dead. Very disturbing.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 pm
Whoa, whoa, wait - they sell monkeys, still alive, so that people can eat their brains? That's...inhuman gonk  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Xioungshou

Dapper Hunter

700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 pm
In Shanghei, they take live fish gut the, quickly boil them in oil and serve them, still alive. Same with squid too. As for the monkeys... sweatdrop poor guys... crying

I hope the guy who prepares the blow fish is really well-trained. One little mistake and gonk , someone dies... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 pm
Here's how the people prepare dog stew or dog sisig.

First, they nab a dog, owned or not owned doesn't make a difference. They put them in a sack and beat it to death. Then they carve/skin it. Then chop it into several pieces and then boil it. Innards are used as bait to get other dogs.

Cats and field rats are usually turned into ground meat to serve as fillings for siopao or meat buns.

There was a rumor about the most forbidden ingredient to cook is the unborn fetus of a live human. They make it into dumplings or siomai. Since it is steamed it is easy to cook.  

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100

j-factor762

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:54 pm
That's just disgusting gonk How can someone do that to a dog? Or a monkey? I don't want to taste that anymore.

Say, about the jellyfish, how strong is their poison? I hope that's not what makes them spicy. Oh, about the arepas, they're not like pita bread, those come open, the arepas are flattened balls, like a circle, then you cut them open and put inside the ingredients.

Living, moving octopus sweatdrop that definetly deserves to be in this thread. I've taste doctopus before, but never while it was still moving. Does it tickle while it goes down your throat?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:13 pm
Sheer_Immortal
Whoa, whoa, wait - they sell monkeys, still alive, so that people can eat their brains? That's...inhuman gonk

yes i totally agree with u  

angelgirlX

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:02 pm
The jellyfishes are cooked before they are served as cold cuts. That way most toxins are gone and it would be safe to eat.

Currently, i just went to a restaurant that sells burgers at 10 php divide it with
45 php and you'll get the dollar equivalent. I was surprised why it was cheap. Turns out it's meat was cats, mice and birds that you would usually see in the city. I really puked when I found while eating.

Anyone tried bat guano paste for their dips? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm
Bat-poo dip? No thanks xD

Did the cheap burgers taste good, at least?  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

j-factor762

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:48 pm
megachocobo2002
The jellyfishes are cooked before they are served as cold cuts. That way most toxins are gone and it would be safe to eat.

Currently, i just went to a restaurant that sells burgers at 10 php divide it with
45 php and you'll get the dollar equivalent. I was surprised why it was cheap. Turns out it's meat was cats, mice and birds that you would usually see in the city. I really puked when I found while eating.

Anyone tried bat guano paste for their dips? mrgreen

I pass, thank you sweatdrop Did you find something on the meat while you were eating? That is so disgusting. Haven't you ever get sick for eating stuff like that? I can accept the jellyfish, but meat of pigeon, stray cats and dogs? gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 pm
megachocobo2002
Here's how the people prepare dog stew or dog sisig.

First, they nab a dog, owned or not owned doesn't make a difference. They put them in a sack and beat it to death. Then they carve/skin it. Then chop it into several pieces and then boil it. Innards are used as bait to get other dogs.

Cats and field rats are usually turned into ground meat to serve as fillings for siopao or meat buns.

There was a rumor about the most forbidden ingredient to cook is the unborn fetus of a live human. They make it into dumplings or siomai. Since it is steamed it is easy to cook.

I don't really see what the fuss is about when it comes to eating dogs/birds/cats/mice, when you might be eating an UNBORN FETUS accidentally gonk . wahmbulance THAT is where I draw the line!! wahmbulance  

Xioungshou

Dapper Hunter

700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

stardust2stardust

Dapper Lover

1,815 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100