Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How much of a Grammar Nazi are you? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much of a Grammar Nazi are you, anyway?
  One mistake, and I'll rain fire on the person who made it.
  I'll tell them they made a mistake, but be nice about it; only if it's a huge mistake.
  As long as I can read it, I'm fine.
  lol why u haet txt tlk!!111
View Results

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:37 pm
If it's something practically unnoticeable, I'm bound to notice... Like the difference between among and between. But I can't usually tell the difference, especially in the below sentence:

"It was hard to choose among/between all of the fine entries..."

It's supposed to be among, but it just sounds weird.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:54 pm
I usually do not correct other's mistakes only because I do not have to actually think about translating text talk to do it. Bit I digress, sometimes, only for the big mistakes, I do correct others.  

lost_silme

Professor Armitage

Lupine Gearhead

11,450 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
I'm an Obsessive-Compulsive English teacher, so naturally I am a grammar Nazi. smile

I do, however, broach the subject cautiously. I encourage others to improve themselves, because their dialect does get on my nerves, and it often misrepresents intelligent people as uneducated imbeciles; but I choose to do it in a helping way, considering that if I were to rain down upon them like a hail of flaming debris, it would send them scurrying, and they would not learn anything from the endeavor.

Except, of course, the value of running and hiding.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:00 pm
I make sure everyone is aware that I am a Grammar Nazi, but I don't usually correct anyone, particularly because they always roll their eyes at me and don't listen. However, there are some mistakes that just drive me up the wall, like the word (and I use that term loosely) "stupider." Once I see someone write or hear someone say that, I completely flip out.  

Xailyne

Sorinchako

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 am
I tend to correct people a lot, but I'm only a Nazi about it when the mistakes are huge.

The only acception I really make are for my friends, I want to go easy on them, and people who have learned English as a second language. English is NOT as easy as we pan it out to be for those poor people.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:31 am
suscha
I tend to correct people in real life far more than online.
People in the real world know me and can handle my annoying tendencies better than some poor soul on an online forum. xD

The other day my friend was talking about some guy and referred to him as "the most ugliest guy in the world."
I just stared at her and said, "Please, rephrase that."
She gave me a puzzled look. "What, don't you think he's ugly?"

rofl

I, like you, correct people in real life too. I don't mind reading "Txt-tlk" since I can't do anything about it. My classmates can be somewhat annoyed whenever I correct them, but who wouldn't be?  

nessa7

Skadi-The-Elf

Ruthless Loiterer

17,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:41 pm
It depends on the level of laziness and voluntary retardation involved. If it's typos or common minor spelling or grammar mistakes, I don't even bother saying anything to the person, as it is not a big deal. But when you have a sentence that reads like this:

awww...c** on plz i want wun 2 y u gota be haetin on me like dat i bet its cuz i pwnd u at tetris watever u suk

or

i hate going at scool becuse all the stupd mexksicans who cant speek inglish.y dont they all go bakc to meksxico and stop tackin our guvermente wellfair checks?

then I get friggin irrate and downright demonic.
evil  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:44 pm
Not very many people see what "txt-talk" is doing to the youth of the world.  

Solly-wolly

s3kShUn8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 am
A lot of grammar errors pisses me off, especially if all the errors are barely readable.

One time when I was wandering around the Q&A, looking to give some help when I came across a total newbie who asked, "1dk, wg0 but 1 n33d h3lp w/ FrX" <-I don't what's going on but I need help with Firefox." I had to look it up the terms, "wgo and FrX" on Wikipedia to see what he meant. stressed  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:54 pm
I constantly correct other's grammar. Once I even corrected my English teacher. sweatdrop  

SuperDuperRockLee

Kunoichi21

5,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:30 pm
For me, it really depends on the severity of the mistake and sometimes how well I know someone. If they're a complete stranger, then I'll tell them whatever the mistake is, however, I'm less likely to point it out to a friend. Mostly when I correct people in real life, it's with pronouncing things. You should hear some of the people in my history class when we read from the books (which is rare). One girl kept saying Prussia like Proo-shah, even after she was corrected several times. Also, when someone else was reading, he couldn't go for more than 14 seconds without having trouble saying something, which led to me reading that word for him so he could continue. It's pure torture!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:15 am
I gently tell the person the grammar mistake and how they can fix it.  

soupyeh

Mikhalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 pm
Simple typos I'll tend to ignore if they're infrequent. Repeated typos I'll always point out. Switched words (your/you're, where/were, their/they're/there) I'll almost always point out. Improper verb conjugation I'll usually point out unless the person isn't a native English speaker. Exessive punctuation (Hi!!!! or What????) I'll always point out unless it's warranted (rarely). Incorrect punctuation (a semicolon where a colon should be) I may or may not point out, with the exclusion of missing punctuation (wont, cant, dont). Only exception when I won't point out a missing apostrophe is when I know the person is on a mobile device.

My tone when pointing out an error usually depends on a combination of my mode and the number of offenses in a short timeframe. One or two mistakes and I'll be polite; a two paragraph long post with 40 of them I'll usually flame the person.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 pm
I generally just ignore people's errors. If they don't know how to write properly, I assume that they have nothing useful to say and simply move on.  

Neko-chan101

Tric A Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 pm
I'm pretty bad. I notice the little things and the big things. I correct sometimes, sometimes not. It just depends on my mood. I always notice a grammar error, but don't always comment upon it. Like I said, it just depends.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff