Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
Time Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm
Actually, I am an amateur mind-reader/magician, but that's besides the point. Farewell, for my bedtime draws near. Until next we meet, hyperborean traveller of the midnight sun... *flourishes tophat and disappears in a puff of sparkly purple smoke*  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:02 pm
Czar Liece
tourniquetsmile
i think time is relative
and somewhat irrelevant

but it is essential to the human way of thinking

Ah, relative, yep~ but irrelevant...? *this makes me think idea * are you saying that we dont actually need to calculate time as we do?

i mean, in the world we live in, without watches, clocks or atomic clocks, we would be screwed. we depend on time to judge our lives, lifetimes and our culture is baced on time as well as you have said: "essential to the human way of thinking".

how much, how little, when, how long..? all based on time. Heh, but sometimes i wish there was nothing to measure, it would be simpler, but would definitely mess up our modern lives xd

yes. irrelevant. "time" as we call it will go on whether we want it to or not. when you wake up on your birthday, you don't feel any different. you feel exactly the same as the day before when you weren't a year older. i don't know how to explain it. so i'm gonna have to agree with what was said earlier in the thread:

Mobius Nightshade
And yet, time is what we make of it. Time can be slower or faster based upon one's perception and mood, and in retrospect time is completely warped and fragmented. There are even moments (often in romantic situations) where time seems to stand still, and there are nostalgic moments where time seems to have flown by in seconds. And don't get me started on time as percieved in the dream realm...

he sort of said what i was trying to express.

irrelevant only because we could exist without knowing what time of day it was.

mostly because humans have an insane need to name and defy everything. what is time? how do we know time is actually time? i know i sort of don't make sense.

has anyone seen the movie donnie darko? time is a paradox.  

carry on wayward daughter

Dapper Werewolf

scintillio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 pm
Bellabie
I once had a clock that began ticking in the wrong direction for thirty seconds... It then righted itself. I am easily frightened, so I disabled it and hid it away...

I believe that dreams have such changes because our memory compresses different things in various ways and the important details (or seemingly less so) from dreams are viewed or lived for proportional amounts of "time."

Just a thought...
b

Hn, i witnessed a clock that actually spun backwards changing the hour, then righted itself and ended up on time....No lie. it was at school, and my friends saw it as well.

lol people said it was a ghots---i like the idea of ghosts, so i believed it. xd

Ah, so your saying that we bring our perceptions of time with us, even in dreams? Neat! xd *laughs*  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:11 pm
tourniquetsmile

he sort of said what i was trying to express.

irrelevant only because we could exist without knowing what time of day it was.

mostly because humans have an insane need to name and defy everything. what is time? how do we know time is actually time? i know i sort of don't make sense.

has anyone seen the movie donnie darko? time is a paradox.

ah, so for the most part---i was right. And i do get it now. xp

*shakes head* ugh, not paradoxes---i barely understand those, i wont lie---so im not going to get involved in that until i understand it more closely. If you feel the need to rant on it, then by all means, do wink I'm listening. cool  

scintillio

Bellabie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:23 am
Poor Czar, Mobius speaks in paradox.

I agree that our personal (and sometimes even communal) ideas of time shift throughout moments, but I do not think that time itself does. After all, those who are not witnesses to whatever the cause is do not feel this... "change in momentum."

I have not seen Donnie Darko (yet). Alas. I do know how it ends, though.
*shake fist* Curse you spoiler shirt!

b  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:32 pm
Bellabie
Poor Czar, Mobius speaks in paradox.

I agree that our personal (and sometimes even communal) ideas of time shift throughout moments, but I do not think that time itself does. After all, those who are not witnesses to whatever the cause is do not feel this... "change in momentum."

I have not seen Donnie Darko (yet). Alas. I do know how it ends, though.
*shake fist* Curse you spoiler shirt!

b

lol xd i suspose so~

ninja ive never seen Donnie Darko, either  

scintillio

carry on wayward daughter

Dapper Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Paradoxes make me happy. Mostly because I understand them, but not many do.

Donnie Darko is a movie about time travel, and this is (in most cases) where the idea of paradoxes (sp?) arise.

Mostly I can describe a paradox only as something that cannot happen in the constant, ever changing time.

I will come back to ranting about paradoxes when I get one my Dean Koontz's books back, and can use direct quotes from it. Only because all my examples are poor.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:03 pm
tourniquetsmile
Paradoxes make me happy. Mostly because I understand them, but not many do.

Donnie Darko is a movie about time travel, and this is (in most cases) where the idea of paradoxes (sp?) arise.

Mostly I can describe a paradox only as something that cannot happen in the constant, ever changing time.

I will come back to ranting about paradoxes when I get one my Dean Koontz's books back, and can use direct quotes from it. Only because all my examples are poor.

yes, it is hard to understand---like irony~ which is something i do understand.

i cant wait to hear more about these paradoxes~ 3nodding i'll be tuning in ^^  

scintillio

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:31 pm
Mm, yes. I am rather shallow in the deep waters of paradox. Do continue!
b  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm
Mayhap we should discuss the classic grandfather paradox?  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:35 pm
Is this being grandfather to one's self?
I've heard this before... Do please expand.
b  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 pm
Bellabie
Is this being grandfather to one's self?
I've heard this before... Do please expand.
b

ive heard of that one myself--it is interesting~! *sits and listens* 3nodding  

scintillio

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:05 pm
Suppose you go back in time and kill your own grandfather. He wouln't be able to exist to create your father, and you in the process, but you'd have to exist to go back in time and kill him, right? So, you'd supposedly be transported to an alternate reality where you didn't do that, and co-exist with that dimension's copy of you. That's the basic idea of the paradox. Of course, as Bellabie implied, more can be done to the grandfather than assassination... Such wa sthe case in Futurama, concerning one Philip J. Fry.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 pm
...so you would never have been born to kill you grandfather and at the same time must have been born to prevent it.
Most interesting!
b  

Bellabie

scintillio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:50 pm
Mobius Nightshade
Suppose you go back in time and kill your own grandfather. He wouln't be able to exist to create your father, and you in the process, but you'd have to exist to go back in time and kill him, right? So, you'd supposedly be transported to an alternate reality where you didn't do that, and co-exist with that dimension's copy of you. That's the basic idea of the paradox. Of course, as Bellabie implied, more can be done to the grandfather than assassination... Such wa sthe case in Futurama, concerning one Philip J. Fry.

ah, i see....and i think i do understand;

lol Fry became his own grandfather... xd insane.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff