Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Txt Tlk" Being Used Audibly Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saiducky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm
I'm okay with some txt tlk phrases, such as LOL and OMG being used. This is mainly because I can understand them. It drives me crazy when people use expressions i can't understand! stressed For instance, what the hell is LMAO supposed to mean? Or ROLOTFLOLIP? Or, even, WTFDYMYRMF? stare Yes, people have actually used these in emails and conversations with me...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:13 pm
There was an OMG and a WTF fad at my school last year. I thought I was going to die.  

Starry Phoenix

Keren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 pm
saiducky
I'm okay with some txt tlk phrases, such as LOL and OMG being used. This is mainly because I can understand them. It drives me crazy when people use expressions i can't understand! stressed For instance, what the hell is LMAO supposed to mean? Or ROLOTFLOLIP? Or, even, WTFDYMYRMF? stare Yes, people have actually used these in emails and conversations with me...

LMAO translates to "Laugh(ing) my a** off." As for those other two, I have no idea and have no intentions of finding out. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 pm
Um...
Whenever I'm writing and speaking, I try to use correct grammar, but I do type (and say...) the occasional "WTF?" or "LOL" or "OMG!"...

Yeah, I know, it's horrible...

"ROLOTFLOLIP??"
What the...?
confused  

Set Dreads To Stun

Opinionated Bloodsucker

4,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Contributor 150

o--Starlight Angel--o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:59 pm
Last year my teacher got pissed because. people were using text phrases such as "lol" in their papers. I thought it was hilarious but sad at the same time.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:40 pm
_Sn0w-White-Queen_
Um...
Whenever I'm writing and speaking, I try to use correct grammar, but I do type (and say...) the occasional "WTF?" or "LOL" or "OMG!"...

Yeah, I know, it's horrible...

"ROLOTFLOLIP??"
What the...?
confused
User Image

*Whimper...* Yeah, I'm guilty too. And when I'm having conversations with my friends, I use correct grammar, but they're always saying things I have no intention of finding out what they mean. I kinda feel like I sound so stupid, but then again I feel smart, talking to a bunch of people who are older but stupider than me... I mean seriously, I have one friend and "txt tlk" is ALL that she says. It's SO annoying.
But I do still use "lol", an occasional "LMAO" or "ROFL" on youtube videos when something is hilarious, and yes, "OMG." I use that one. "WTF", now that one, I don't use very much. That's about all the "txt tlk" I speak.
._.
And the occasional audible "OMG" when my friends and I are messing around.

User Image

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

Kin no Nabi

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 am
All these accounts sound truly horrifying gonk ....
My friend often 'lol's and 'wtf's.... And as a singer/songwriter I thought he'd have better expressions? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:56 pm
I relentlessly make fun of one of my friends who uses text talk instead of real words in our conversations. It is annoying sometimes and not so much others. I know he does it to sound funny and when he does not do it too much I can laugh. But supplementing it for real speech consistently in normal conversations and creating a trend... gross. Use real words please.

Quote:
Or ROLOTFLOLIP? Or, even, WTFDYMYRMF? icon_stare.gif Yes, people have actually used these in emails and conversations with me

What kind of substances were these people taking?  

Rutoh-Chan

iPomegranate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:52 pm
Keren
I had the unfortunate experience of listening to an older teenaged female at a public transit center 'talking'. Though, she may have very well been intoxicated, but I do not let that excuse her for what she said, repeatedly.

"OMG, oh my God!"
"WTF, what the ******** was bad enough that I had to hear 'txt' speak used out loud, but even worse that she felt the need to repeat herself. Also, her voice was loud, high pitched, slightly slurred, and stereotypical of what a 'txt tlker' would sound like.

Anybody else experience this sort of misfortune?

I very much agree with you. I have friends who also talk "txt."

On my cellular phone I Type out my words slowly and cleerly, and my friends say this:

"Like Omg! Wy do ya tak lyke dat?"  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:03 pm
I usually only use it audibly when I'm mocking someone. Every now and then I'll say something, but it's not very often.

It bothers me when people say, "Double u tee eff?" "Double u" takes longer to say than "What." It just... bugs me. They're trying to shorten it, but they're just lengthening it.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Black rose shika

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:58 pm
Yes, sadly this situation hase come across many times.
My friends use it at school and even my teacher is starting to say it and loves it. I tell her that "Soon enough the english language will be destroyed , and everyone will speak text talk very soon."  
Black rose shika rolled 20 100-sided dice: 15, 86, 69, 56, 65, 17, 51, 54, 98, 49, 55, 96, 66, 91, 27, 7, 47, 53, 96, 15 Total: 1113 (20-2000)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm
saiducky

"LMAO" translates to laugh my a** off.
I just thought that i'd tell you so your not confused the next time you hear it.

Black rose shika

Black rose shika

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm
Prince Yyoshen
Keren
I had the unfortunate experience of listening to an older teenaged female at a public transit center 'talking'. Though, she may have very well been intoxicated, but I do not let that excuse her for what she said, repeatedly.

"OMG, oh my God!"
"WTF, what the ******** was bad enough that I had to hear 'txt' speak used out loud, but even worse that she felt the need to repeat herself. Also, her voice was loud, high pitched, slightly slurred, and stereotypical of what a 'txt tlker' would sound like.

Anybody else experience this sort of misfortune?

I very much agree with you. I have friends who also talk "txt."

On my cellular phone I Type out my words slowly and cleerly, and my friends say this:

"Like Omg! Wy do ya tak lyke dat?"

You spelled clearly wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:02 pm
I admit, I do occasionally say "WTF" aloud. In a public place, it's less likely to offend somebody than it would if I actually said the f-word. When a little kid asks what it means, I tell them "what the fish." sweatdrop

A friend of mine constantly uses "LOL," "OMG," "WTF," and others though. I give him a hard time about it. ^_^  

bead_vamp

Elanchana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 pm
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

I sometimes say OMG but that's about it. Mr. Greenwell... rofl

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items