Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Hardcore knitting! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm
No, but I'd go with a pretty light colour since the colour is not that strong. And use some kind of animal fiber like wool since it will generally take colour better than cotton.

If you want to try if a yarn works you could just cut off a small bit, put it in a cup of extremely strong tea and nuke it mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:49 am
It needs to be something that takes dye. Most natural fibers take dyes, animal fibers work better. And unbleached-undied works well.

Just about any tea works. Green tea's gonna give you a really really light color even if you leave it in there for days. Most the time people use black tea, since it dyes your fiber pretty quickly. If you only leave it in for a little while it'll give it a nice antiques look. If the color of the tea is something more then brown, like orange peoke gives you a kind of orangey tea color, it should give you something more then brown fibers, like a slight orange tint.

Coffee also works beautifully. Make it a little too strong for human consumption (or maybe as strong as you take it, i don't drink straight coffee so....). When i did it i couldn't see the fiber i put in, it got so dark. I love coffee dyes, they smell good. xp

Another thing most people don't think to try is red wine. It comes out kinda pinky. 4laugh

I didn't do a science fair project... nooo.....  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:33 pm
That sounds like a better way of using wine than to drink it actually... I'm going to have to try working with rooibos sometime. The brew itself is a lovely red colour, but I don't know how it will dye.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:45 pm

very nice and good colors on it too, but is that a mug that the cat is inside? pretty small ~ whee

Kanhoro

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:39 pm
It's a teapot, so it's not tiny even if it's a small animal.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:08 pm
Wow you guys. That is awesome ideas! My work sells dye so I was thinking of doing that. Should I bleach the yarn first? It's really light (light orange) acrylics yarn...  

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm
Acrylic probably won't take the dye well. You can find undyed yarns at most LYS. KnitPicks.com carries it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:50 pm
Thanks for the tips! wink And cute mouse!  

Dark Yume

55may55

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:49 pm
WOW! That is hardcore, my yarn and I are in awe. domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:18 pm
Awwww your mouse is too cute 4laugh I myself am a master at scarfs as well, and my 3d attempt is a rabbit a made for my neice. Take a look smile User Image  

Safiya_Ai

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces