Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fagon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:00 pm
The Blessed Resistance
fagon
The Blessed Resistance
I'll curse Christianity in an instant if Christ tells me to.
confused sweatdrop

Christianity is Salvation as Religion.

We shouldn't owe allegiance to religion.

While there's nothing wrong with religion by itself, it should never be our first priority in the spiritual process of things.
That's understandable...but then what is Christ's religion? wink  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:49 pm
It's laid out in the Bible, and understood in knowledge of His character. Don't recall it being called Christianity, though. I doubt He'd name it after himself.

Christianity is us being Christ-like. It's subject to our personal feelings and opinions marring and fogging it up.

I may very well be wrong with everything I say, I don't deny it.

I just ask for precedence to prove me wrong.  

Follow the Wolves

fagon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:03 am
The Blessed Resistance
It's laid out in the Bible, and understood in knowledge of His character. Don't recall it being called Christianity, though. I doubt He'd name it after himself.

Christianity is us being Christ-like. It's subject to our personal feelings and opinions marring and fogging it up.

I may very well be wrong with everything I say, I don't deny it.

I just ask for precedence to prove me wrong.
The term Christian is used 3 times in the New Testament
Acts 11:26
...and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Acts 26:28
Agrippa replied to Paul, "In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian."

Now of course this shows that Christ didn't name us. However we clearly see that the Apostle Peter himself used the name in the next verse

1 Peter 4:16
...but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name.

I find it funny that it's used 3 times, as the number 3 is used in the Bible to show completeness or fullness.

Now sure Christianity isn't used. But these verses led to the obvious conclusion that the term Christianity is the proper term when describing one who practices Christan belief.

But, why do you say that you doubt that God would have his religion named after him?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:25 pm
fagon

But, why do you say that you doubt that God would have his religion named after him?

Out of character. Didn't even name us after Him, though we were in His likeness. Because we are separate from Him, though alike him.

So is Christianity separate from Christ, yet alike him.

I knew the rest of what you posted already. It didn't really put up much argument against what I said.  

Follow the Wolves

fagon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:59 pm
The Blessed Resistance
Out of character. Didn't even name us after Him, though we were in His likeness. Because we are separate from Him, though alike him.
But that reason is not an absolute.

The Blessed Resistance
So is Christianity separate from Christ, yet alike him.
How could Christianity be separate from the One that created it? Christianity is Christ and Christ is Christianity.

The Blessed Resistance
I knew the rest of what you posted already. It didn't really put up much argument against what I said.
So you say. But it naturally follows that Christianity would/should be the religion of Christians. And the Bible, the Authoritative Word of God, tells us we are Christians. So in all reality if God is the True Author of the Bible, then it only makes sense to say that God Himself is telling us to be called Christians. It's the logical conclusion and anything else is really a sort of modernist political correctness. If you are to use the same logic on other religions then what should they be called? e.g. What should the Buddhist religion be called?

My point is is that it just makes it so much easier to answer "Christianity" when asked "What religion are you?" So why should we complicate things? I mean you believe most to everything that all other Protestant denominations believe yet you prefer to call yourself something different. It'd be like me, being Catholic, wanting to be called something like "Apostolic Authority Church of Christ." I'd still be apart of Catholicism, but I give myself a totally different name. Why?

In the end all this is causing is fruitless arguments that make more division . I would prefer then to end it wink  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:42 pm
fagon
The Blessed Resistance
I'll curse Christianity in an instant if Christ tells me to.
confused sweatdrop

3nodding question rolleyes  

Beth Turner
Captain

Retermined

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:17 pm
Okay, whoever said we are separated from Jesus Christ is kind of incorrect or not on the mark.

To be saved, or to have salvation, is to accept the Lord, your God, into your heart, therefore the Father, Christ, and the Holy Spirit (or the Trinity, since they are the same in one) are within us and not separated from us.

However, those who have not been saved, or never said they were a sinner, they'd do a 180' just to stay with God, etc., they are separate from God till they accept Him.

Now, as a follower of Christianity, but mainly a follower of the man in charge, Jesus Himself, if Christians make up the population of Christianity, does that not mean the religion is of one with the Father, also alongside Baptist, Protestant (Christian), Catholic, etc?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:24 pm
Retermined
Okay, whoever said we are separated from Jesus Christ is kind of incorrect or not on the mark.
He didn't mean we are separated form Christ. It was about the name. Not us.  

fagon

DeleteThis191919

6,350 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm
-Which denomination do you practice? Can't remember the name right now. Will edit when I do (just had a brain fart).
-What makes you follow that certain denomination? The causial-ness of it
-Why are there different denominations even though they all share in one ultimate belief? our nature of dividing ourselves into groups
-Do you practice one denomination but share many aspects of others? I don't believe that any one has many diffrences form another.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:20 pm
-Which denomination do you practice?
I am a non-denominational Christian. Which makes me Protestant.

-What makes you follow that certain denomination?
My family is ex-Catholic and left that organization because of its corruption and lack of spiritual help. My father got saved on his own, but was led to a fundamentalist church by another believer, and we stayed there for many years before we moved away. When I do attend church, it is at a non-denominational, Bible-following one.

-Why are there different denominations even though they all share in one ultimate belief?
Even in the early years of the church, when the original apostles were spreading the word, there was division and schisms. People all interpret things differently. Some were not anti-Biblical, and some, like the Gnostics, were. It may be due to whatever people needed - for instance, if a church-founder had a big problem with sins of the flesh, he might emphasize purity as being very important.

-Do you practice one denomination but share many aspects of others?
No. I don't practice Christianity, I live for Christ. Even though I stumble.  

Avzel

Lions_Kitten

6,200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:39 pm
The_Great_Rhapsody
So... Christian denomination.

-Why are there different denominations even though they all share in one ultimate belief?

I myself have never really favored one denomination over another. I share many beliefs and aspects of all the Christian denominations. And I study them all aswell. So many denominations and yet they all share one thing in common...they all believe in the Lord-and-Savior, Jesus Christ.
that is what nondenomanational if for or they also call that evangleical  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 pm
punkanimefreec
i'm a baptist
i follow it because of my parents.
i think that because in the bible some thigs aren't said out in the open their more shrouded in mystery and people think of things differently and come to different conclusions and all that. thats why i think there are different denominations((sorry if that made no sense at all, alot of people don't understand me anywayz sweatdrop ))
umm.... idk i haven't realy been to other churches so.....
some of the denominations don't do certian things or belive in certain things ethier . like the gifts of the spirt of God like tongues and visions and ect.... some denominations belive it happen then but not now . my grandfather belives this but i don't.. it makes it hard to talk about my experinces of visions and other gifts when he doesn't belive.. but at least i can talk about it with my mom and dad  

Lions_Kitten

6,200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Berezi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:30 am
I'm....Protestant. I've grown up within the context of Eastern Orthodoxy as well as the Southern Baptists, and now I'm going to a charismatic, not specifically denominated church. I'm a smorgasboard.

*Non-denominational IS a denomination, folks. If there is no denomination specified, it is not non-denominational. It is simply unspecified (probably meaning it doesn't adhere to any one denomination's beliefs).

God. God has shown me through circumstance that we are all different people, and we as humans are fallible and will get some things right and some things wrong.

Probably because people interpret things differently.

I don't particularly practice any one denomination because I share aspects of many other denominations.

P.S. - why are we so afraid to call Christianity a religion? Because it binds us somehow? Have we forgotten that the word "religion" used to mean devotion and that by all rights Christianity is a religion? Christianity is a religion, but more than a religion, too. And what's so bad about a set of rules when God does have a set of rules for us? Admittedly, it's very small - Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself - but it's still a set of rules to follow.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:29 pm
I can't stand denominations. It's terrible how Christians are fighting each other.  

10binary-0

Invisible Chic Chica

650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:14 pm

I am a Lutheran in the ELCA (Evengelica Lutheran Church of America)

my mom grew up in the church that i attend and i dont get much influence from my dad or grandparents, however, my sister is a great help with everything happening in my life cuz she has already been here.

there are different denominations because with each interpretation comes different things like beleifs of the Bible.

I only practice the Lutheran Denomination because i believe what was put into the church was put there for a reason. I also have some strong disbeliefs with other denominations but i wont get into that because i dont want any arguing happening.  
Questions and Answers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff