Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

exploding-waffles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 pm
Fresnel
exploding-waffles
that gives me an idea.
we should plan the route we want to take in a flight simulator than go through all the stops.
But... X-Plane costs, like, $100 for the app and global maps, and another $1000 to unlock the FAA-approved simulator physics, not to mention the cost of hardware ($1000+). The demo gives you 6 minutes of flight time before your joystick locks, and you only get 10 miles of landscape around San Bernadino before everything turns into ocean.

wow, thats allot.
i was thinking something more on the line of Microsoft flight simulator.
i do know how to drive a boat, so that might be a better idea.
in the zombie future piracy will be ok.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:44 pm
Frez, video games are one thing, real life is completely different.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:41 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
Frez, video games are one thing, real life is completely different.
First, I do realize there's a decent discrepancy. Second, note "FAA-approved." The physics are so real on X-Plane's more expensive version (the cheaper version is pretty good, but not so perfect as the other), that the FAA allows it as a training simulator for commercial airline pilots. I believe NASA approves it as a simulator for the shuttle landing, though I'm not so sure about that one. SpaceShipOne was originally modeled and tested in X-Plane. I realize I'm no pilot, but I think that under ideal conditions, I could fly the plane well enough to not crash, and I could splash down in the ocean/a lake without seriously injuring myself or the plane. I don't think I could line it up well enough to land on a runway, though. Thus the seaplane.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:55 pm
Frez, until you've flown a real plane, you'll never really know what it's like.

I've flown alot of sims before, and none of them are the same as flying a real plane.

I couldn't land a sim but landing a real plane wasn't much trouble. FAA approved just means they don't hate it, and they get money so of course they'll approve of it.

The army is looking into using simulators, but that's only a stop gap. You aren't ready for combat till you've been shot at, same thing goes for planes.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:33 am
Old Lord Brocktree

I've flown alot of sims before, and none of them are the same as flying a real plane.

I couldn't land a sim but landing a real plane wasn't much trouble. FAA approved just means they don't hate it, and they get money so of course they'll approve of it.

The army is looking into using simulators, but that's only a stop gap. You aren't ready for combat till you've been shot at, same thing goes for planes.
Better than nothing, though. And I don't think I could hack it somewhere the zombies could get to me, so... my choices are limited. I'd consider flight school, I know where one is around here, but I lack both time and money. In the end, though, I see it as a question of how I'd rather die... water, or zombies.

I'd rather drown.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:42 pm
Hmmm... With my current situation, I'd be a little ******** if zombies started popping up in mass quantities, seeing as my two main comrades are MIA(One has college 90 miles south of where I live and only visits on the weekends and the other is in mechanical training in the Army) as well as my current lack of resources. For the most part, I'd simply have to make do with gathering up all the provisions, gear, equipment, half useful people, ect. I can and make a run for one of the harder to scale mountains in my area. The only good thing I can say about my area other than the mountains is the fact of how spread out everything is. If a full fledged outbreak took place near any of the larger cities, I should have a good bit of time to get prepared. Seeing as how there's lots of farms in the area too, there are some good chances of raiding them for food, farming equipment(Something I may need if s**t gets to the point where the outbreak is going to be around for a long time), and anything else of use.

Probably right now my main disadvantages are the lack of firepower and munitions(Just a .22 mag with a hand full of rounds, a standard 12 gauge with 200 something rounds and a 30-30 with a handful of rounds), supplies(Medical, survival, combat gear, ect.), and my MIA comrades.

I take it I'm ********? xp

Dante Faust

exploding-waffles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:34 pm
Fresnel
Old Lord Brocktree

Better than nothing, though. And I don't think I could hack it somewhere the zombies could get to me, so... my choices are limited. I'd consider flight school, I know where one is around here, but I lack both time and money. In the end, though, I see it as a question of how I'd rather die... water, or zombies.

I'd rather drown.

personally id like to kamakazi the plane into a zombie while dropping napalm out the window then going out in the firey explosion rather than drowning.
but still, some good simulator time and one flight would be enough to get you off the ground and back on it in one piece.
the plane will probably be totaled, but it saved your life.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm
Dante Faust
Hmmm... With my current situation, I'd be a little ******** if zombies started popping up in mass quantities, seeing as my two main comrades are MIA(One has college 90 miles south of where I live and only visits on the weekends and the other is in mechanical training in the Army) as well as my current lack of resources. For the most part, I'd simply have to make do with gathering up all the provisions, gear, equipment, half useful people, ect. I can and make a run for one of the harder to scale mountains in my area. The only good thing I can say about my area other than the mountains is the fact of how spread out everything is. If a full fledged outbreak took place near any of the larger cities, I should have a good bit of time to get prepared. Seeing as how there's lots of farms in the area too, there are some good chances of raiding them for food, farming equipment(Something I may need if s**t gets to the point where the outbreak is going to be around for a long time), and anything else of use.

Probably right now my main disadvantages are the lack of firepower and munitions(Just a .22 mag with a hand full of rounds, a standard 12 gauge with 200 something rounds and a 30-30 with a handful of rounds), supplies(Medical, survival, combat gear, ect.), and my MIA comrades.

I take it I'm ********? xp
Buy more ammo, and you have as good a chance as the rest of us, I think.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:42 am
Frez, It's not really hard to fly a plane, it's just the instruments and the feel that takes time. Sure, you could fly it, but landing sucks.
You'd have a better chance than most people.

But you can't fly forever, so you gotta find a play to stand and fight.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:01 am
Old Lord Brocktree
Frez, It's not really hard to fly a plane, it's just the instruments and the feel that takes time. Sure, you could fly it, but landing sucks.
You'd have a better chance than most people.

But you can't fly forever, so you gotta find a play to stand and fight.
Oh, I know. I'm headed for a specific destination. It's a sparsely populated island in the middle of nowhere, off the coast of Chile. It's more than one tank of gas, but if I use my whole life savings to buy it (which will later be worthless anyway), I can outrun the spread of the disease, and so people will still be taking money. If I can't make it to a plane, well... I'd have to think on that. I'd probably hide in the middle of the desert and hack it out there. There's a big lake out here with almost no housing around it... I might head for that. It's also created by a dam, so if I'm lucky, I could have power someday.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:21 am
I'd just take a rifle and get on a tall building till things calm down, probably.

There are very few places around here, except churches and such, that are easily defendable.

One idea was to get to the top level of a parking garage, then use vehicles and other stuff to barricade the way up.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:54 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
I'd just take a rifle and get on a tall building till things calm down, probably.

There are very few places around here, except churches and such, that are easily defendable.

One idea was to get to the top level of a parking garage, then use vehicles and other stuff to barricade the way up.

the problem with that is if zombies find you, your pretty much screwed.
i like the island/canada idea the most.  

exploding-waffles

Dante Faust

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:42 pm
Fresnel
Buy more ammo, and you have as good a chance as the rest of us, I think.
More is always a good thing. Will do for now. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:47 am
exploding-waffles
Old Lord Brocktree

Keeping a calm head is key. There are several sets of stairs, so the first person through the stairs would have a shotgun or other close range weapon, and move down the stairs.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:02 am
Old Lord Brocktree
exploding-waffles
Old Lord Brocktree

Keeping a calm head is key. There are several sets of stairs, so the first person through the stairs would have a shotgun or other close range weapon, and move down the stairs.
We in the zombie thread had an idea for midwesterners... they should put a combine harvester in a barn, and board off all entrances, except one. That one leads into the combine. When the zombies come, just fire it up.  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff