Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Silly Reading Habits~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muffins or Cupcakes??
  Muffins! A-Duh...
  Cupcakes of course!
View Results

okjgidgvstyrhfjk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:14 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Today I saw a girl who was reading a book and HIGHLIGHTING IT!!! The following conversation followed:

Me: What are you DOING to that book?!
Girl: Reading it.
Me: Why are you highlighting it?
Girl: It's for me to take more of the book in. I've already read it three times.
Me: The book is SCREAMING OUT IN PAIN!!! (By this time, I was half-laughing, but still somewhat serious)
Girl: Huh?

^This wasn't a complete stranger, either. It was a friend of my friend.^

Thats so funny!

I tend to yell at people when they distract me when I'm reading... xD

I get so angry!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:02 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Today I saw a girl who was reading a book and HIGHLIGHTING IT!!! The following conversation followed:

Girl: It's for me to take more of the book in. I've already read it three times.
Me: The book is SCREAMING OUT IN PAIN!!! (By this time, I was half-laughing, but still somewhat serious)

Lol! xd My brother had to read some kind of essay over the summer by a man with a PhD saying you don't truly own a book unless its marked and highlighted. eek confused

As for my wierd reading habit...I'll be doing homework or studying and stop at random intervals to read a few more pages of my current reading project. It's not a good study habit but I can't help it, I have to know what happens next! sweatdrop  

OrionsGift

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 pm
It's true - you can't really love/enjoy a book unless you really wear it out heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:16 pm
My silliest reading habit is re-reading passages I loved over and over until I decide it's time to move on. Most of the time this is accompanied by reading outloud in various accents till I think I've gotten it right. whee  

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 pm
OrionsGift
Lhia_Dunwaith

Lol! xd My brother had to read some kind of essay over the summer by a man with a PhD saying you don't truly own a book unless its marked and highlighted. eek confused
Oh, I love highlighting and marking up books. Writing in the margins is my favourite, I have a copy of Dorian Gray with so many comments and underscores that you can hardly read it anymore! rofl

The theory: You should never read a book you want to know something more than the plot in without a writing device in hand. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:30 am
~Arabella Strange~
I mess up the pages.

I take a piece of a page, fold it so it forms a sort of triangle, and push it out. It results in a huge crease, a curving of the pages (if I do it all over the page) and sometimes ripps. I like the feeling of the book when the pages are curly.

I also bend the edges about a 1/4 of an inch towards the center. Yet more page-curving. smile
I do the same thing with pushing the folds out. It started with science books when I was little because I liked the sound it made. smile  

Conall the Wanderer

Lady Ayre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:35 pm
If I'm especially enraptured by a book for some reason or another, I have the eccentric habit of snatching little opportunities to read, however small or inconvenient.

ninja For example: I'm in martial arts (Taekwon-do to be precise, for those of you that have a need for detail), and I was only very recently laughed at for hiding behind the studio wall, absorbed in my book (white uniform, belt, sock-less and all sweatdrop ). Rather embarrassing, but I already had the reputation anyways...So I suppose I'm used to it. rolleyes

Also...I tend to take time to read after my shower every morning...Often being the reason for my lateness to school...Though I usually (and somehow miraculously) manage to escape a tardy by A. Running, B. Going into class with my book-bag, and C. Getting there just as the bell rings/OR by spiriting myself into my seat and doing my best to avoid discovery...It takes Ninja-skill, I'm serious. ninja

Though, I'll admit, I do have an advantage:

My first period instructor has recently returned from a trip to the hospital for a slight stroke--and yes, he's been teaching at my school since the Triassic Period--so he usually doesn't take much notice of my tardiness (to my eternal wonder)...Thank whatever benevolent being that deigns to watch over my hapless self. <[-.-]"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:55 pm
I tend to read all the time, especially in biology class. It sounds fun, but gets me into lots of trouble. Like last Wednesday:

Mrs. V(my bio teacher): Emily, what are you doing?
Me: Uhh looking over that book about the IEP project.
Mrs. V: I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please don't read that while I'm teaching.
Me: Ok.

I'm serious. My biology teacher is a ditz. A nice person, but a ditz. A couple weeks ago she lost our tests, so we didn't take them for two days till she found them. On her kitchen counter. xd

twilightem

Feline Anachronism

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:10 pm
beaulolais
i read in the tub, fall asleep, drop the book and thoroughly soak it.

i have become notorious for doing this

And that is why I don't read in the tub.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 pm
Lady Ayre
If I'm especially enraptured by a book for some reason or another, I have the eccentric habit of snatching little opportunities to read, however small or inconvenient.

ninja For example: I'm in martial arts (Taekwon-do to be precise, for those of you that have a need for detail), and I was only very recently laughed at for hiding behind the studio wall, absorbed in my book (white uniform, belt, sock-less and all sweatdrop ). Rather embarrassing, but I already had the reputation anyways...So I suppose I'm used to it. rolleyes

Also...I tend to take time to read after my shower every morning...Often being the reason for my lateness to school...Though I usually (and somehow miraculously) manage to escape a tardy by A. Running, B. Going into class with my book-bag, and C. Getting there just as the bell rings/OR by spiriting myself into my seat and doing my best to avoid discovery...It takes Ninja-skill, I'm serious. ninja

Though, I'll admit, I do have an advantage:

My first period instructor has recently returned from a trip to the hospital for a slight stroke--and yes, he's been teaching at my school since the Triassic Period--so he usually doesn't take much notice of my tardiness (to my eternal wonder)...Thank whatever benevolent being that deigns to watch over my hapless self. <[-.-]"

I used to read at my Tae Kwon Do gym (I took tkd in high school). I would sometimes miss class because I was so into a book.  

Feline Anachronism

american vanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 am
i love reading curled up in the backseat of my car, especially in the summer. but while i'm out there, i have to have lemonade, no matter what i'm reading.

i live out in the country, so i'll roll down the windows and it's so relaxing that i'll get immersed in the book for hours on end that my lemonade won't have ice-cubes in it anymore. when i first began doing that, i made me mum worried because she couldn't find me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:36 pm
american vanity
i love reading curled up in the backseat of my car, especially in the summer. but while i'm out there, i have to have lemonade, no matter what i'm reading.

i live out in the country, so i'll roll down the windows and it's so relaxing that i'll get immersed in the book for hours on end that my lemonade won't have ice-cubes in it anymore. when i first began doing that, i made me mum worried because she couldn't find me.

That sounds like so much fun!

okjgidgvstyrhfjk

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:39 am
Aeliara
OrionsGift
Lhia_Dunwaith

Oh, I love highlighting and marking up books. Writing in the margins is my favourite, I have a copy of Dorian Gray with so many comments and underscores that you can hardly read it anymore! rofl

The theory: You should never read a book you want to know something more than the plot in without a writing device in hand. 3nodding

Oh noes! Not you, too, Aeli! rofl

I think my whole book-OCD started when I loaned out my copy of Eragon (hardcover, book jacket included, perfect condition) to a girl on the swim team. I seriously wonder if she dropped it in the bathtub, ran it over with a dump truck, and cut it up with torture knives. It was gone for, like, four months, and when I got it back, it looked disgusting! The book jacket was ripped up all over the place, and there are coffee stains on a lot of the pages. Needless to say, I came up with this:

Lhia's Rules (more like Commandments) of Book-Borrowing

1. Thou shalt not borrow the book for more than two months, unless thee is a painfully slow reader.
2. Thou shalt not put paperback books in a backpack. It crinkles the front cover and leaves unsightly crease lines.
3. Thou shalt not loan the book to others when the book is in thine care.
4. Thou shalt not desecrate the book in any way, shape, or form.
5. Thou shalt not lose the book, even if it was merely left in math class for a few minutes and thee has to run back and get it.
6. Thou shalt not read the book while walking (it is for thine own safety as well as the book's).
7. Thou shalt not obsess to me like a fangirl about how hot the main male character is, because when you do that, I fear for thine sanity.
8. Thou shalt not scream in class upon arriving at the ending of the book- while you are supposed to be doing math work (It has happened).
9. Thou shalt not tell thine parents about the book, unless it has much harmless material.
10. Thou shalt not blame any of the aforementioned on me when it goes wrong for thee.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Lhia, I laughed so much after reading that!

okjgidgvstyrhfjk

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am
Thanks! biggrin

The sad thing is that when I tell that to people who aren't my friends, they look at me like this: stare <----- (The "don't tell me you forgot to take your meds" look).  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff