Submit

Republic or the Commonwealth?
  Republic
  Commonwealth
View Results

Atomic Sky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:10 am
King Of Ninjas
I want the Aboriginal flag in there somewhere/Aboriginal flag as the Aussie flag

And ruin a perfectly good flag? ******** aboriginals.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:33 pm
Lynx Raven Raide
I dont think it should be the Aboriginal flag, not because i have anything against them, but some of them have said it is their flag and they would be against it, so I respect their wishes in that. I would support the Eureka flag being used though.

Saw one that i would really like which was similar to the current except the background was yellow, the stars were green and it had the coat of arms in green where the union jack is now

Really? I thought it would finally be a step in the right direction.

Atomic Sky
King Of Ninjas
I want the Aboriginal flag in there somewhere/Aboriginal flag as the Aussie flag

And ruin a perfectly good flag? ******** aboriginals.

eek Srsly?  

King Of Ninjas

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:10 pm
King Of Ninjas
Lynx Raven Raide
I dont think it should be the Aboriginal flag, not because i have anything against them, but some of them have said it is their flag and they would be against it, so I respect their wishes in that. I would support the Eureka flag being used though.

Saw one that i would really like which was similar to the current except the background was yellow, the stars were green and it had the coat of arms in green where the union jack is now

Well really it was designed for them by them, so they have every right to claim it their own. also it could be seen as a cheapening of the flag, since it is being used as a replacement for the Union Jack which represents the imperialistic past.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

thats my flag i would have razz

Bio-Weapon84

nrasjaa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 am
i personally think it's a waste of time, cuz really what difference does it make in the end?? i mean aside from the millions of dollars wasted on a referendum?? is it really that big an issue that we have to care??  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 am
nrasjaa
i personally think it's a waste of time, cuz really what difference does it make in the end?? i mean aside from the millions of dollars wasted on a referendum?? is it really that big an issue that we have to care??

tell that to kevin rudd, he wanted it  

Bio-Weapon84

King Of Ninjas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:13 pm
Lynx Raven Raide
King Of Ninjas
Lynx Raven Raide

Well really it was designed for them by them, so they have every right to claim it their own. also it could be seen as a cheapening of the flag, since it is being used as a replacement for the Union Jack which represents the imperialistic past.

I never said it should replace the union jack. Just put it in the corner on the otehr side or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:32 pm
DaveOZ
Commonwealth, why?

because that way we can still take part in the commonwealth games, and the UK will come to our aid if were ever attacked by Indonesia, China, Aliens, Zombies, etc

But really, it makes no difference to our lifestyle either way, and being part of the commonwealth does have its advantages.
I agrre with this...i sorta like being part of the commonwealth, and what do we stand to gain if we become a republic?  

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

Marie-Cris

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 pm
heart ... Autumn leaves fall and are swept out of sight ...

Why have the Union Jack at all on the flag? There are other countries under the Commonwealth that don't have to be subjected to using it in their flag; so why us? Why can't we become one of the nations that remains under the Commonwealth but has our own, independent flag?

The Aboriginal Flag entwined? No. Interesting thought, but no. Think of the colour clash.

The Eureka Flag? I wouldn't be against that.

Or perhaps they could hold a national contest and let Australians design a new flag for the country ((my father designed one years' ago; it's green and gold, from what I can remember)). Whatever.

... So are the memories of love that we knew ... heart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:47 am
sex fairy
DaveOZ
Commonwealth, why?

because that way we can still take part in the commonwealth games, and the UK will come to our aid if were ever attacked by Indonesia, China, Aliens, Zombies, etc

But really, it makes no difference to our lifestyle either way, and being part of the commonwealth does have its advantages.
I agrre with this...i sorta like being part of the commonwealth, and what do we stand to gain if we become a republic?
As pointed out previously in the thread becoming a Republic =/= leaving the Commonwealth. There are pleanty of nations in the Commonwealth that are in fact republics or monarchies that dont have the Queen as the head of state.

As for why we should become a republic, it is so that there is an Australian representing the nation. It could be argued that the Prime Minister already does that, but really to the outside we are still being seen as the UK's lapdog.

On the flag thing...
*searches his photo bucket*
This is similar to one I swear I saw in the crowd during a Socceroos qualifier. this is the best that I could do to replicate it

User Image  

Lynx Raven Raide

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Lynx Raven Raide
sex fairy
DaveOZ
Commonwealth, why?

As pointed out previously in the thread becoming a Republic =/= leaving the Commonwealth. There are pleanty of nations in the Commonwealth that are in fact republics or monarchies that dont have the Queen as the head of state.

As for why we should become a republic, it is so that there is an Australian representing the nation. It could be argued that the Prime Minister already does that, but really to the outside we are still being seen as the UK's lapdog.

On the flag thing...
*searches his photo bucket*
This is similar to one I swear I saw in the crowd during a Socceroos qualifier. this is the best that I could do to replicate it

User Image
Ohh, sorry...i should have read all the posts redface  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:15 pm
sex fairy
DaveOZ
Commonwealth, why?

bein forced to become the 51st state of the usa rofl  

Bio-Weapon84

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm
Bio-Weapon84
sex fairy
DaveOZ
Commonwealth, why?

bein forced to become the 51st state of the usa rofl
The horrors gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:54 pm
Inorite
That's the last thing we need  

King Of Ninjas

the_weird_1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:53 pm
Bio-Weapon 84 in your first post in your first paragraph you said that Britons were very afraid that Australia will leave the commonwealth.....why would you say that? That doesn't even begin to make sense?

Australia is its own ruled country right now. We have the right to make laws seperate from briton.

The queen has no right to interefere in parliament in Briton, she has no power or influence here in Australia.

So I ask the question... why would Briton miss us? And why would we miss the Britons?

And those arguing over the meaning of 'Commonwealth'.... this is what Australia is now... its only another word for "united states of Australia" it has nothing to do with the Commonwealth Games. I think your really thinking of the words "British Empire"  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff