Its was ok
  It was inaccurate or stupid (comment)
View Results

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:40 pm
-Isel-
Quote:
Visual Kei bands vary hugely in sound. They can either take the form of heavy metal (eg. Dir~en~Grey) or something more like cheesy Euro-pop (L’Arc~en~Ciel, Malice Mizer)

Is the way Dir en grey is typed and the fact that she said L'arc is visual kei and that Malice Mizer sounds like euro-pop part of the joke too?

Very likely...

For clarification, to those of you who didn't pick it up-

Dir en Grey =/= Dir~en~Grey
L'arc~enCiel =/= Visual Kei
Malice Mizer =/= Euro-pop

Though, the broaded comment of "Visual Kei bands vary hugely in sound. They can either take the form of heavy metal or something more like cheesy Euro-pop" is rather true.

This is largely because, arguably, Visual Kei isn't a genre of music. The name itself literally means "Visual Style". On that note, I plug my "On the Classification of Music" thread which can be found in the music subforum.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:31 pm
Rellik San
spooky_sez
Rellik San
xStephanx

spooky_sez
It's pretty cute, but a metalhead isn't a Goth.

I'd agree, but it was included probably as a attempt to clear up the constant confusion. A lot of metalheads dress like Goth's, and I've even met one in first year of university who got assy when I said he wasn't Goth (he wasn't listening to anything apart from metal and rock).

But on the other hand, the two groups do have enough similarities (particularly in a tendency to wear black and a love of things dark and spooky)

Last time I checked, us metalheads weren't about the spooky, more about the BRUTAL, EPIC, and POWAH!

But I see what you mean, it tries to resolve the issue, but instead just leaves it ambiguous, one of the main differences included should be;
"The key difference is in attitude, metal heads tend to react in a more aggressive manner, rather then the considered passive manner in which goths (except rivet heads and baby bats) will react.

I.e. If someone was to insult a metal head the typical response would be:
"Come here, so I can rip your arm off and beat you to death with the soggy end."

Where as the goth my respond, often with a clever witticism or such."

Well that aside my oldest sister could be described a corp goth, however I'm slightly disturbed by the fact the male corp goth image looks like me at work.

Also is it slightly wrong I can put each member of my family into the appropriate category on that site?

My best friend is a metalhead. He always wears black (apart from his jeans) but there is no way in hell you'd ever mistake him for a goth. Ever. Observe, Willy-

User Image

Black doesn't always mean spooky though, I'm sat here in black jeans and a a black shirt. ^^ Also is he rolling a joint? Or just a regular roll up? biggrin

Will isn't spooky. Not even a little. And according to him, neither am I. He says I'm "about as spooky as a packet of peanuts" so when he and my mates call me Spooky they say "it's an ironic nick name". I still like it though razz

Oh yeahhh, that's a joint alright. We went halves in an ounce. It was awesome. Check out my half-

User Image

That's right.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:18 pm
Great site! I was rolling in giggles. I prolly fit about five or ten of those categories >.>
comments:

Haha! The boy's shirt says "saiba gosu" ^^ (cyber goth)
HEY! Malice mizer is NOT cheesy!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm
i like the J-Goth. biggrin

CHicKeNy Corpse

Sharing Heartbeats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:48 pm
My personal favorite goth site is the forum on deathrock.com... >.>  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:15 am
spooky_sez
Rellik San
spooky_sez
Rellik San
xStephanx

spooky_sez
It's pretty cute, but a metalhead isn't a Goth.

I'd agree, but it was included probably as a attempt to clear up the constant confusion. A lot of metalheads dress like Goth's, and I've even met one in first year of university who got assy when I said he wasn't Goth (he wasn't listening to anything apart from metal and rock).

But on the other hand, the two groups do have enough similarities (particularly in a tendency to wear black and a love of things dark and spooky)

Last time I checked, us metalheads weren't about the spooky, more about the BRUTAL, EPIC, and POWAH!

But I see what you mean, it tries to resolve the issue, but instead just leaves it ambiguous, one of the main differences included should be;
"The key difference is in attitude, metal heads tend to react in a more aggressive manner, rather then the considered passive manner in which goths (except rivet heads and baby bats) will react.

I.e. If someone was to insult a metal head the typical response would be:
"Come here, so I can rip your arm off and beat you to death with the soggy end."

Where as the goth my respond, often with a clever witticism or such."

Well that aside my oldest sister could be described a corp goth, however I'm slightly disturbed by the fact the male corp goth image looks like me at work.

Also is it slightly wrong I can put each member of my family into the appropriate category on that site?

My best friend is a metalhead. He always wears black (apart from his jeans) but there is no way in hell you'd ever mistake him for a goth. Ever. Observe, Willy-

User Image

Black doesn't always mean spooky though, I'm sat here in black jeans and a a black shirt. ^^ Also is he rolling a joint? Or just a regular roll up? biggrin

Will isn't spooky. Not even a little. And according to him, neither am I. He says I'm "about as spooky as a packet of peanuts" so when he and my mates call me Spooky they say "it's an ironic nick name". I still like it though razz

Oh yeahhh, that's a joint alright. We went halves in an ounce. It was awesome. Check out my half-

User Image

That's right.

Hahaha, nice... it must've set you back a bomb, but money well spent. ^^  

Rellik San
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:16 am
Senchou Ari Mizuko
Great site! I was rolling in giggles. I prolly fit about five or ten of those categories >.>
comments:

Your kidding right... Malice Mizer make Cradle of Filth look almost serious.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:50 am
Meh.

I didn't really find the site too humourous.
The artwork was lame - looks like those faggoty a** Zwinkies people seem to be so fond of making.

Plus, baby goffs deserve anything but respect.

Yes, I'm a d**k.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

MortSanglant

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 pm
Rellik San
Senchou Ari Mizuko
comments:

I don't listen to Cradle of Filth, so I can't compare, but I adore Malice Mizer's classical-esque sounds that were the concept of the amazing Mana. Some people prefer either the Klaha or the Gackt era (referring to the singer), so you may only be thinking of half of the group's history, but Their sound in both periods was and is still great to listen to.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:34 pm
MortSanglant
Meh.

The artwork was lame - looks like those faggoty a** Zwinkies people seem to be so fond of making.

Yes, I'm a d**k.

A lot of goths went through a baby bat phase.

Though I don't think that the angsty and violent kids who are trying to be goth deserve any respect, I do think that those with a genuine interest in the subculture deserve at least a litte respect and guidance. I know that the older goths I have met have given me a great deal of respect, though if they had met me a few years back they probably would have giggled at me. It took me a few years for me to go from a hyper-spazstic chick in Tripp pants who listened to (but didn't nessecarily like...) shock rock and metal, to a sensual, refined, well-dressed romantigoth with good musical taste.

Sometimes baby bats just need a little push in the right direction. heart  

DreamerSpirit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:40 pm
Rellik San
Senchou Ari Mizuko
comments:

Depends.

Tetsu Era was about on par with Cradle, in both ridiculousness and quality.

Gackt Era was both more ridiculous and lower quality than Cradle.

Klaha Era was far better than anything Cradle put out, and far easier to take seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm
GilAskan
Rellik San
Senchou Ari Mizuko
comments:

Depends.

Tetsu Era was about on par with Cradle, in both ridiculousness and quality.

Gackt Era was both more ridiculous and lower quality than Cradle.

Klaha Era was far better than anything Cradle put out, and far easier to take seriously.

Opinions, opinions.

From the perspective of musical talent, lyrical ability, and other matters relative to music theory, the Klaha Era was a well-formed shot at making good orchestrations that used actual symphonic instruments instead of keyboard-simulated organs, violins, and other such heard instruments.

The Gackt period was a necessary failure, because it showed the band what they needed to focus on as a style and helped them develop their talents to move away from what they made during those years.

I'd like to believe that the Tetsu era was the worst, not the Gackt era--at least Gackt can hold a note properly and knows how to use vibrato without sounding like a banshee. Though I like it all for the same reasons I like Dragonforce and Cannibal Corpse... you know, so bad it's good...

I agree, though, that Malice Mizer was quite cheesy until Klaha.

But Cradle of Filth is a joke. I can't stand how some people insist on relating them to Dimmu Borgir. I've heard the comparisons, and I hate it.

-Isel-

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:03 pm
MortSanglant
Meh.

Yes, I'm a d**k.

"Faggoty a**" has got to be the most eloquent, well-formed insult I've ever heard.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:08 pm
-Isel-
MortSanglant
Meh.

Yes, I'm a d**k.

"Faggoty a**" has got to be the most eloquent, well-formed insult I've ever heard.

I think it's pretty host.

MortSanglant

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:19 pm
MortSanglant
-Isel-
MortSanglant
Meh.

Yes, I'm a d**k.

I think it's pretty host.

Mort, I heart you!  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces