Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold for you!
  Why thank you.
View Results

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:13 pm

I own a plaid skirt. And I have seen many goths use plaid in there outfits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:51 pm
Damn not-Australian web sites.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:40 pm
Teribly sorry.. perhaps you can suggest some?? That's what this post is for...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:50 pm
i kno this odd probably but im considered an urban goth (but im not sure) and i go to all the urban stores pick out the things that are usually combined to make a outfit prepy and use everything else. There are a few things in Claire's (jewelry store) and Icing (also jewelry) as well. u just have to look. Yes i kno u may not wanna step foot in the store cuz its so...bright burning_eyes but trust me look at the darkest part of the store and its a quick in and out. wink  

babykitty18

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:55 pm
Senchou Ari Mizuko

Nah, I don't even have a credit card.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:05 pm
spooky_sez
Senchou Ari Mizuko

'Tis for real stores, too.^^  

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

The Evil Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:37 pm
Thrift shops, garage sales and flea markets can be your best friends, as well as craft shops for those that can sew and/or otherwise have a DIY streak in them. Hardware stores can also turn up a few odds and ends which can be used creatively.

Also, if you're into the Renaissance/medieval look, members of the SCA can be a good source for that type of clothing. Either they'll know how to make it, find you a pattern for it, or direct you to someone who can get that kind of clothing for you.

Don't forget E-Bay.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 pm
Senchou Ari Mizuko
spooky_sez
Senchou Ari Mizuko

'Tis for real stores, too.^^

Ah, well then. There's Peril Underground but it's got a horrible 'website'. Great store though! I got my first tattoo there. heart

Smoke Dreams is a good store as well.

But since this is meant to be a budget thread, I can't help. Those two stores are pretty pricey. In fact, all the Goth, metal, etc stores in Melbourne are expensive.

I don't know why. It's not like there are hardly any people in Melbourne who buy their stuff.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:41 pm
Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San
I thought that pattern was tartan not plaid.

I know that in America, the two terms are interchangable.

Being from a Scottish family, I know that there is a difference, but not a massive one. Ultimately, they both have similar end-looks.

I always applied plaid to refer to shirts and jackets and tartan to everything else, the main difference is the plaid is two grids laid on top of one another, with tartan they are offset from one another.

I thought it was the other way around for a while. stressed Thanks for clearing that up...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San
I thought that pattern was tartan not plaid.

I know that in America, the two terms are interchangable.

Being from a Scottish family, I know that there is a difference, but not a massive one. Ultimately, they both have similar end-looks.

I always applied plaid to refer to shirts and jackets and tartan to everything else, the main difference is the plaid is two grids laid on top of one another, with tartan they are offset from one another.

I thought it was the other way around for a while. stressed Thanks for clearing that up...

Okay, I picked this up from dictionary.com:
Quote:
Is there a difference between plaid and tartan?
Generally, we think of tartan as the name for the cloth and plaid as the name for the particular pattern, but the words are often used interchangeably so that tartan can mean any checkered pattern and plaid can mean any checkered fabric! Plaid's original definition is 'as a woolen cloth having a checkered or tartan pattern'. It evolved to mean any such checkered or tartan pattern. Tartan's first definition is a 'woolen cloth woven in stripes of various colors at right angles to form a rectangular pattern; also, the pattern and design of such a cloth'. Both words were first recorded around the same time, c. 1500.

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

haine13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:03 am
Thrift stores are great places for cheap, awesome clothes but i bet you already thought of that. As for the sewing machine it could probobly pay off if you are a good sewer. I have been wanting to make some of my own clothes and there are usually good sales on fabric so that might be a good thing to try out. Also there would be fabric left over that you could create something else with. Sewing might be a good option in my opinion  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 am
I got a longsleeve t-shirt yesterday and combined in with a neon yellow skirt. I cut a sleeve of the t-shirt and made rips in it and filled up the holes with the fabric of the yellow skirt. Cost: 7 dollar and 2 hours of free time! Result: a smashing shirt any goth can wear!  

Disease of the Flesh

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 am
good to see the spark of creativity is still alive.

from my experiences in goth culture, I have observed that the best dressed looking people were generally the ones who spent a little time and invested few dollars in secondhand clothing then modifying the hell out of em' till they achieved the desired look. everyone wants to be unique and unlike anyone else out there in gothdom, and shopping from hot topic/torid/tripp/morbid ect.ect. just makes one look like another cookie cutter spooky ookie with no originality.

for the record, please...please...avoid suicide satin like the kind found in halloween costumes, it's cheap, makes you look cheap, and tends to rip on you at the most embarassing moments when in public. most halloween costumes are made from extremely cheap polyester knit and satins and were not intended for long term wear, however, you can utilize certain portions of those costumes for things like arm warmers, or anything you need for accesories that you don't mind getting them trashed when they wear out. hair extensions can be fabricated out of old halloween costumes by cutting the costumes into thin strips and weaving plaits together into small lengths and attaching them to baretts or other hair accessories to achieve that wig effect. just a thought...

as someone pointed out earlier, the only thing that stands between you and your dreams is you, and who cares what the next goth in line thinks about how you look. as long as you are happy with it, then the rest don't matter.

(i've played in the SCA for a long time, for the most part, I classify myself as "medieval goth" as opposed to victorian. I like the looks of a classy victorian, but the cost associated with either making or acquiring the proper outfits for that look is quite beyond my budget. i've piece-mealed my wardrobe over the course of 17 years with items i've either made, or purchased cheap through friends or merchants i'm friends with, and a good starting link for basic information can either be found at www.SCA.org or www.SCAtoday.com , just look in the links section for merchants or pattern info to find a few ideas.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:24 am
My first thought, being the youngest of four, is to pick through hand-me-downs and find the choicest bits, which is harder when your siblings aren't goth; and harder still when you're the only boy. Still, old family relics are great for the romanta-goth look, if you can get past the fifties.
While not everyone is the youngest of four childern, nor is everyone born from a long line of pack rats; almost everyone knows someone older than themselves. I've gotten hand-me-downs from suprising places.

And I feel the need to mention antique stores, as well as poking your nose into costume stores. Sometimes you can find really nice, and bizarre, things there. That's where I got my Guy Fawkes mask.
Sure, they were selling it as V for Vendetta, but I know Fawkes when I see him.  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am
Omigods; how many goth SCAdians are there?
My persona is sixth century anglican; so I can't snitch alot of garb to be worn mundanely. I do have this once black bodice I got for working renfairs that I've started wearing mundanely, often over a dress that my mother outgrew. Throw in some lace stockings, mitts, and a pair of Mary-Janes, and I've got a light lolita outfit for basically free.
I totally agree with Charlemain on the hand-me-downs part; like I mentioned the dress that used to be my mother's; plus I've gotten some cool things from my sisters, family friends, and once a near-stranger.
I had been shanghaied into helping a friend of my sister move, and her daughter, whom I had never met before had recently outgrown an awesome pair of boots.
On the sewing aspect, one should really remember the prices of the fabric, as well as the lace, laces, aigelettes, what have you, and of course; your time.
(I sew alot)

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces