Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goths & Cartoons [Updated 3/23/08] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

destructive emotions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:17 am
Gaz, invader Zim. Germaine from foamy, DrawnTogether--i guess? Seeing as that fat black and white cartoon chick looks goth.--Destructive emotions @gaia, and forsakenone666 @gaia.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 am
destructive emotions
Gaz, invader Zim. Germaine from foamy, DrawnTogether--i guess? Seeing as that fat black and white cartoon chick looks goth.--Destructive emotions @gaia, and forsakenone666 @gaia.

Except its... CHILDRENS cartoons and media... web media doesn't count. Also Toot from Drawn Together is meant to be Betty Boop. ><  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm
destructive emotions

@bold: Lol wut?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:44 pm
GilAskan
Freedom Fire
I like Germaine from the Foamy cartoons. She can be stereotypical sometimes, but in general I really like what she has to say.

That's an example of what this thread is NOT for. As pointed out in the first post, this is for mainstream television and film intended for children.

Ah, I see.

Actually I was thinking about this a few months ago, about how goths are stereotyped in kids' cartoon shows. I'll admit, I used to think all goths wore all black clothes and dramatic makeup, and only said things that were dark and disturbing.

I want to create a TV show that portrays goths in a more realistic light.  

Freedom Fire

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:07 pm
Freedom Fire
GilAskan
Freedom Fire
I like Germaine from the Foamy cartoons. She can be stereotypical sometimes, but in general I really like what she has to say.

That's an example of what this thread is NOT for. As pointed out in the first post, this is for mainstream television and film intended for children.

Ah, I see.

Actually I was thinking about this a few months ago, about how goths are stereotyped in kids' cartoon shows. I'll admit, I used to think all goths wore all black clothes and dramatic makeup, and only said things that were dark and disturbing.

I want to create a TV show that portrays goths in a more realistic light.

Some of the recurrences will be talked about in the second post, but I'm still compiling information. Some of the cartoons are very progressive, others digressive, some reallist, some absurd.

One trend I've seen, for example, is the portrayal of goths as being very eco-friendly and anti-violence. Sam Manson of Danny Phantom is a vegetarian and pacifist, Goth Girl of Mr. Meaty can't stomach any violence of any kind, etc. Whether or not such a broad portrayal is a good thing is up for debate. While some might consider the concept positive, others might think of the characterization as some form of insulting irony.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 pm
You will never be able to stomp out all stereotypes on television. How many times on kids shows do you see the polo shirt fitted, gum chomping, tennis bracelet toting prep? Or the radical, mangled, cool skater kid? And ESPECIALLY the nerd. There is always a nerd.

As much as we all generally detest stereotypes, there's just too many. It would take a long time to get rid of them. Especially on childrens cartoons.  

gdrockson

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm
gdrockson
You will never be able to stomp out all stereotypes on television. How many times on kids shows do you see the polo shirt fitted, gum chomping, tennis bracelet toting prep? Or the radical, mangled, cool skater kid? And ESPECIALLY the nerd. There is always a nerd.

As much as we all generally detest stereotypes, there's just too many. It would take a long time to get rid of them. Especially on childrens cartoons.

That's really not the idea of this thread.

The thread is meant to identify the rising trend of a goth archetype in children's cartoons, find it's origins, and draw connects to the goth culture. It's not a "we need more of this" or "this is wrong" type of thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm
GilAskan
NekoYasha09er

Does the whole Invader Zim count with Gaz and Dib?

They'll be in eventually, but I'd probably put them in last. Simply because I'm annoyed by the show's overexposure.

Ah alrighty. The show does seem to have a lot of overexposure.

NekoYasha09er

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 pm
NekoYasha09er
GilAskan
NekoYasha09er

Does the whole Invader Zim count with Gaz and Dib?

They'll be in eventually, but I'd probably put them in last. Simply because I'm annoyed by the show's overexposure.

Ah alrighty. The show does seem to have a lot of overexposure.

Blackrose Kaire
Oh yeah,there was an episode of Recess once that had the geeky girl,dressed up like a goth.

Ah your thinking of Gretchen Grundler. Plus there was the one kid whose name I can't remember that always told those legend stories. The one with the white streak in his hair.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Rellik San

Ermmm lessee... for the obvious one, Raven from Teen Titans. .
I love Raven! lol I was obsessed with that show a few years ago and she was my favorite  

haine13

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 am
Rellik San
destructive emotions

Except its... CHILDRENS cartoons and media... web media doesn't count. Also Toot from Drawn Together is meant to be Betty Boop. ><

That's the second person not to read the first post. I think I see a trend here.

How are people on Gaia childrens cartoon characters?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 am
GilAskan
spooky_sez
Ingrid Third from Fillmore! I love that chick.

I had forgotten that one. I loved that show.

spooky_sez
The Addams Family cartoon was intended for kids.

Indeed.

I'd love to get Fillmore!. Such a great show!  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:07 pm
spooky_sez
GilAskan
spooky_sez

spooky_sez

Indeed.

(Damn, I need to add to the first post before this gets any more out of control... anyway...)

Yeah, Filmore was a great show. Another on the long list of "Series that prove American and European animation can be as good or better than Japanese animation".  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 pm
GilAskan
spooky_sez
GilAskan
spooky_sez

spooky_sez

Indeed.

(Damn, I need to add to the first post before this gets any more out of control... anyway...)

Yeah, Filmore was a great show. Another on the long list of "Series that prove American and European animation can be as good or better than Japanese animation".

I thought any thing by Dum Bluth proved that (Land Before Time, Heavy Metal 1&2 and Titan A.E.)

smile

See even us hardcore manga fans give respect where its due. smile  

Rellik San
Crew

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:26 am
Rellik San
GilAskan
spooky_sez
GilAskan
spooky_sez

spooky_sez

Indeed.

I thought any thing by Dum Bluth proved that (Land Before Time, Heavy Metal 1&2 and Titan A.E.)

smile

See even us hardcore manga fans give respect where its due. smile

Haha, can't say Rellik San isn't a fair god.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff