Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Can you be Wiccan or a Witch and still go to church? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where do you stand?
  Yes...can be Wiccan and still go to church
  Yes...can be a Witch and still go to church
  No...you cannot do both
  Don't care
View Results

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:28 pm
well you can be wiccan and still go to church my roomate does it but she only goes for her parents sake.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm
WitchyBoy
well you can be wiccan and still go to church my roomate does it but she only goes for her parents sake.

If you take it at literal meaning, then yes... you can be wiccan and still go to church. It is, after all, just a building. A few walls, doors, and a floor and ceiling. Nothing prevents one from going to church. It isn't as if a wiccan or pagan will burst into flames upon entry.

I think though, unless I misunderstood the original question... the question is... can you be wiccan and still go to church and worship? In other words, can a wiccan still worship the christian faith in a christian way?  

PhoenixMoonStar

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:25 pm
Quote:
In other words, can a wiccan still worship the christian faith in a christian way?

That is exactly what I was asking. I realized later that I should have phrased my question a little better.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm
well in that case i would say its possible but unwise, you know someone might lable you a sell out, i wouldnt but thats my two cents.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm
too2sweet
Quote:
In other words, can a wiccan still worship the christian faith in a christian way?

That is exactly what I was asking. I realized later that I should have phrased my question a little better.

Yes, you can, if you don't believe in the commandments, which not all Christians do to begin with. You can still go to church and pray to Jesus and God as well as worship to Lord and Lady.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:09 am
I'm bumping this back up to the top, because it is still a topic that interests me, and I'd really like to hear more input on it.

Thanks!  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 pm
Can a witch or a Wiccan go to church? Sure. Especially in the case of a witch, since they are not necessarily bound to a specific theology.
Does it make a Wiccan a Christian by going to church? No.
Can you worship the Abrahamic god in Wicca? No. It's down-right rude to boot out the Lord of the Isles and replace him with a god of the desert. Wicca is about being the clergy of specifically the Lord and Lady of the Isles, not whichever two gods you happen to like best that week.

I think that if someone really, really wanted to they could be a Christian and a Wiccan, but they can't be a "Christo-Wiccan" or whatever it is they call themselves now.

Wicca allows for the worship of other deities outside of Wicca and its rituals. Christianity does not look too kindly on this, unless you're going with a liberal denomination of Christianity. And for those who try to worship the Abrahamic god in a Pagan context....that god specifically laid out in the bible how he desires to be worshiped and what he is comfortable in; why force him into a ritual structure that he will likely not appreciate? Doesn't seem too terribly respectful or honorable to me.

But, in a nutshell, yes I think that one can be a witch and a Christian. One can also be a Christian and a Wiccan (for whatever obscure reason), but they can not (honestly) combine the two.

Also, which Christians don't believe in the Ten Commandments? They are part of the orthodoxy of Christianity.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:33 pm
I have an interesting POV on this... I grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS/Mormon). Mormons are Christians (whatever other people think is fine, but I'm not debating that point here) and have some very run of the mill ideals/practices. But there are some things that lend that church to being fairly pagan-friendly.

They believe in a God and a Goddess, ruling together as a couple (though you rarely hear about the Goddess... again that is another discussion) They believe in Christ, who also promotes many good characteristics (as listed above) and they believe in cleansing, anointing and blessing. Heck, they even get different names when they are initiated (endowed in their language)

The biggest problem I see, is that LDS members tend to be very intolerent of practices that are not strictly LDS.

I have a friend who is very pagan as is her sister, and they are both practicing LDS. Of course they are in the broom closet, but still, doing both.

I left the church for many reasons, and found paganism later. Turned out to be an easy transition from what I'd been taught my whole life. It's like being LDS without all of the female oppression and I can drink coffee smile

Jernni

Sparkly Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

LRGG1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:39 pm
I would stop reading a book that said Wicca and witchcraft are the same thing.
._.

If you were Wiccan I see no reason to show up at a church.

But I don't know, you may see a reason.
I don't really like the idea of combined religions but that's just me.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:08 pm
I grew up in a Christian house hold. When ever I got to church with my parents, most of the time I can point out Pagan practices as they light the candle, say a prayer, sing songs, and bless certain items/people. I've also been going to my friend's Catholic mass and I noticed that in some of the things they do, Wiccans and Pagans do as well. It's really dumbfounding when some religious people go, "This is the true way. This is how God wants you to be and etc. etc." When most of the stuff they are doing Pagans were doing wayyyy before them.  

Radioactive Freezer

LRGG1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:51 pm
Original pagans and older religions were doing things we don't much know about before Christianity, but pretty very little to none of it remains. When you use the term pagan as in fairly modern religions, it is strange to compare it to truly ancient pagan religions.

In your last sentence I hope you weren't referring to modern paganism.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:06 pm
Ayashe
Original pagans and older religions were doing things we don't much know about before Christianity, but pretty very little to none of it remains. When you use the term pagan as in fairly modern religions, it is strange to compare it to truly ancient pagan religions.

In your last sentence I hope you weren't referring to modern paganism.

Sorry if this comes out cross but if I was referring to modern paganism, I would have typed modern paganism.  

Radioactive Freezer

LRGG1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:58 pm
It's just that you used the term paganism in that sentence differently then the rest of your post. Yeah, I'll shuttup now. c:

I used to have feelings like that too. They preach their religion as the true way yet there were many more ancient paths that had great knowledge. What of them? Oh right, they're heathens. stare

Prayers, songs and blessings are almost in every culture, if not every culture, aren't they? It all comes down to what you sing about I guess.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:19 pm
It does come down to what you sing about but wouldn't it be quite odd that in their mass they used the same ancient words I have used for blessing an object, protection, and etc.? They have sung songs that have the same tune as ancient Pagan songs I have had visions of way before I even decided to learn more about Catholic Masses.  

Radioactive Freezer

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games