Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
What is the difference between a Nerd and a Geek? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is there?
  Yes! I am a Nerd, not a Geek!
  No! I am a Geek, not a Nerd!
  Yes! I am both!
  No...
View Results

Sinisatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm
I am a geek. I am exceptionally smart (which is why I type in whole words), and I ABSOLUTELY LIVE for games. Or would that make me a nerd because I have more than one specialty? Hmmm....  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 am
Geeks specialize in computers mostly...my brother's a geek and he doesn't like anime, but he doesn't study either..and he wears jean shorts all of the time....and plain old t-shirts....

Nerds are all pocket protectors and such......
although they can also be just a smart person.

I'm part nerd and part geek.  

Invader Ciz

Ruthless Raider

The Rawk Hawk

Fashionable Nerd

6,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 am
I am a Neek!

I like Anime,Video Games,D&D,...
But also I am good at school and learning for me is not boring...

People don't hate me or reject me, I am very friendly,polite and generous.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:52 pm
Istian Goss
Quintafeira12
Well I'm a nerd, and for some reason I hate the only 100% geek example I know of. well hate is a bit harsh. It's more like being god danged tired of hearing his non-sense about the girl he likes (because she looks like an anime character, geez, he doesn't know a thing about her, that's all the reasons for him to like her) and random stuff like "Badabang Ignis" that he says when he doesn't know what to say. Plus he's allways making ew yu-gi-ho's decks and telling me everything about it! boring

That sounds either more like Otaku, or just a kid growing up. You really can't label people until they're 14 or older, and start to divide up into crowds.

Actually, that sounds more like 90% Dork with a small 10% of Otaku. If you want a dork, think about Napoleon Dynamite: no skills, no charm, no friends, totally useless.  

Da_Nuke

Aome09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:47 pm
I`m a mix between otaku, geek, nerd and metalhead xD  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 am
i don't really know the difference, but for some reason i think being a nerd is better than being a geek. i don't know why but i think nerd is a more positive description  

jazzdancergirl

Mystical Voter

31,640 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hand in the Cookie Jar 100

The Other JayJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 pm
Im not anerd or a geek i just need gold  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:22 pm
well u have a point geeks have weird obsessions and nerds r just super smart, but im both mrgreen  

THEBANDNERD13

Baagaa

Beloved Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am
If we rely on a dictionary:

Quote:
geek
  Slang.
–noun
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
Origin:
1915- 20; prob. var. of geck (mainly Scots) fool < D or LG gek

Quote:
nerd
   /nɜrd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nurd] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Slang.
1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
Also, nurd.

Origin:
1960–65, Americanism; obscurely derived expressive formation

Those definitions are pretty mean, and I think nerd and geek are both often used positively nowadays. Then again, I live and work in the Silicon Valley, so my experience might be different from other people's. sweatdrop

I'm not sure if I agree with the dictionary definitions based on how the terms seem to be used colloquially, though. Generally, I hear people use nerd to describe people interested in learning (of any kind, whether general or specific), and I hear people use geek to describe people interested in specific (though not necessarily "weird") areas of niche knowledge (like computers, band, art, or anything else). They don't seem to be mutually exclusive.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 pm
I probably fit into all of the above and then some. Programming, D+D, Role playing, Anime, Manga, IQ of 211, etc.

I also wish to correct the previous post's incorrect or partial definitions. A geek is a circus performer whose act usually involves biting the head off of a fish or chicken. a nerd is a type of candy manufactured by Wonka.

Try an encyclopedia it is far more accurate.  

truehiddenevil

2,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Asylum Renegade

Cluttered Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 pm
StarFaerieNomad
Besides, nobody uses the term "geek" in the real world anymore. Nerd just pretty much covers it all.

I am called geek quite frequently due to my Anime, Vid Game, RPG, D&D, Magic the Gathering and all around Fantasy loving self. I can't recall ever truly being called a nerd.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 am
my friend is really mean when I asked her the difference she said nerds are smart...  

perryunicornboy

Devoted Healer

10,350 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100

Craeosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 pm
all i know is that im some what of a geek, cause i play gaia, i like anime, and i play D&D... video games too surprised  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:08 am
nerds=smart, no friends
geek=smart,friends  

agurl12345

8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games