Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Conditions in the Industrial Era Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doctor_Orc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 am
No, aoi no mizu, it is relevant.
The industrial era, and now a day, treats workers as an automaton. The ideal worker does not think, does not have ideas, does not have suggestions, and does not have initiative. He’s just supposed to do a single task as well as all others. And in a place like Starbucks things are even worst. Starbucks main objective is to, no matter where in the world you go to a Starbucks, to give the same experience and taste in their products. This in itself is an annulment of cultural differences. So slowly the gestures of the employs’ are automatized and they lose their soul. A lot of traditions say that if don’t have your mind in your job, your work is soulless, but this is the objective in the industrial era! Homogenize! (And that’s why they can’t get in Portugal! The coffee culture is totally different and practically incompatible. The Moorish wine is still strong here. But this is another story.)
I personally hate this. So I keep some hobbies that defy my mind, that make me think, that interest me. I draw, play with playdough and Fimo, I read and write and have a couple of plants (and I’m trying to get a dog) so I don’t lose myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:54 am
like rats in a maze  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 am
i am told, tested, and trained on how to approach, treat, and speak to people. twice a month some one in disguise comes to test the hospitality and review the people at my job. i just feel nothing when I'm working,  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 am
then u may b a zombie lol  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am
we are all but small replaceble parts in a giant machine caled the human race, and you like me can be replaced at any time withougth thought. we are all zombies at the end  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:33 am
dead til the end  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:25 am
An interesting book to look at is The Conditions of the Working Class in England. Written in the 1830's I think, but it seems just as relevant today.

However, what people say about becoming automata is true. Workers are nothing more than 'speaking tools' (to borrow Aristotle's description of slaves). This is nothing to be suprised about though. But at the same time, a worker has more social power than a comfortable middle-class intellectual. What can the intellectual (be they an author, a journalist, or whatever) do? They can complain, they can try to lobby the government about whatever problem they have, they can try to 'influence the public,' but the workers? What can they do, they are generally so poor? The working class owns only one thing: its capacity to labour. By denying their labour power, business stops. If factory workers don't like their low pay or the sickenning conditions they have to work in, they can go on strike. Close the factory down. If transport workers go on strike the whole city shuts down. The companies are losing much more money in a few days of workers on strike than they would if they gave decent wages and conditions, they will easily give in.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:44 am
not if they break some laws  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:09 am
Quote:
not if they break some laws

Sorry? If who break laws?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:21 pm
the corporations  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:44 am
I am guessing you are refering to:
Quote:
The companies are losing much more money in a few days of workers on strike than they would if they gave decent wages and conditions, they will easily give in.

If that is what you are saying (sorry, but the fact you say so little makes it hard to know exactly what you mean) I disagree.

It all depends on what laws the corporations break, but if a particular company suffers a strike they must either crush the strike or give in to it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:04 pm
i mean they embeszel money(in the millioms), break labor laws  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items