Does being goth restrict other movement? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Draco Vampir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:36 pm
Idiot.

i'll put a few things down in point form. here's hoping they get into your head.

1. not all goths wear dark colors

2. dark colors do not equal depression

3. Depression has no relation to the gothic subculture

4. goths can listen to musical genres other than the ones related to the subculture: deathrock, post-punk, horror punk, darkwave, psychobilly. Personally, besides these I rather enjoy power metal, folk metal, celtic music, industrial, electro, EBM, heavy metal, Trance, acid rave, punk, oi, ska, and a few other genres.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am
I'm sorry, but I have to say this after reading the title.

It depends on your boots.  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:25 pm
Draco Vampir

2. dark colors do not equal depression

well, normally i would agree on that.... but if she really THINKS that it will help on her mood to dress more collourfull, i think she should go for it....its worth a try.

Maybe its different from person to person how they feel when they dress gothic... (sorry for spelling razz )  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 pm
I would say it doesn't just because I'm still in my goth phase, but dress with more respect toward color. It's your life after all, and having personality doesn't hurt at all.

Plus the depression thing is just you, not the fact you call yourself goth. Happiness is a choice.  

The_Super_Nintenho

Rogue

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm

If you think you should wear more colorful clothes then go on ahead. It's best to wear clothes that will make you feel happy and less stressed then make you feel confined and may trigger your depression. You can still be goth and have bright colors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 pm
Be yourself dear. If this will help you then by all means, do what's right for you. There's nothing wrong with changing how you're used to looking.
I really hope it helps you. I have a friend who wears light blue most the time and she's one of the most depressed people I know Oo;;

Good luck.

ShadowLotus

ItsSkinz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:09 pm
again, thank you everyone for your input...oh and...Draco Vampir. Theres no need to be rude about it. It's just a question from someone trying to become more positive about life. I've never insulted you...so why should you insult me?

also..doom1000...i'm a guy...not a girl...common mistake with spelling i know...just try and watch the s's. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 pm
If dressing in black makes you feel depressed don't do it. Although Black, as stated previously and in many other threads of this guild: does not necessarily mean goth. I love dark clothing and it has never inhibited
me, but colors are nice too. Especially green. As you can tell.

Does dressing alternatively prevent one from doing what they want? Depends. If I'm going out for an office job and I have my snake bites in and am wearing torn jeans? Yes. If I'm trying to buy my weeks groceries? Not really. You should never let anything get in the way of you being happy though.

Laharl Part Deux

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 pm
Main point: Dress so you're comfortable and in what works for you, you can still be gothy (for reasons previously discussed.)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm
Frankly, any label puts you within the parameters of that label. If you feel the label is no longer accurate, drop it. I've done it with other labels - namely Straight Edge, since I no longer felt the need to cling to not drinking.

Colour *can* effect mood. Sitting in a purple room probably triggers all kinds of different responses to sitting in a red room. If you feel your dresscode is effecting you like that, then by all means change.

Decora - see also candy/kandi kid, cyber, and raver.  

xStephanx

Raveney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 am
I think is really a matter of what you decide to do in your life, if you think that dark colors make you unhappy and you want to changeit just do it, I think is really nice that you are making a change because you decided to.
For me well I have been goth for a while and black isn't the most happy color but then again i feel really not confortable in other colors.
Good luck and keep going.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:05 am
I don't really dress like a steriotypical goth most of the time.
I like colors, but not so much color I look like a rainbow threw up tacky on me. I'm pretty sure I act the same as I do if I wasn't wearing any color.
I don;t really see a problem with subsituting a purple or gold top instead of a black one, or red pants instead of just plain black.  

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

ItsSkinz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:28 am
And yet again, thank you everyone for you input. I've taken everything all of you have said into hard consideration. I've still come out with the same answer, and i think it's the right thing to do. Plus my parents seem to love it. mom thinks its adorable, and my father thinks its cute. So in my eyes, i can't see anything wrong with this decision.

they're happy, and i'm happy. So i'm glad that i made this choice. and again, i want to thank you all for your input. because it really helped me make up my mind.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 am
yes you can you can be emo who wear bright colours and they still are classed as gothes. i love wearin dark clothes my mates like bright colours but they still like what i wear. rofl  

Enviousfairy

Lifesucks411

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 am
Its true being goth has its limits. I mean I can't even go to my child hood friends 16 birthday just because her parents think I am evil and I don't believe in god. I mean for crudes sakes I believe.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff