Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply •◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•
What is your favorite book/book series? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guess Otulissa's favorite book series!
  Artemis Fowl
  Guardians of Ga'hoole
  The Inheritance Trilogy
  The Silverwing Saga
  The City of Ember series
  Harry Potter
  She doesn't have one!
  She hates to read! (me: 0_0)
View Results

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:47 am
By the way, I will tell you the answer to the poll later...

And...HINT HINT... All of those book series are on my top 5 favorites except for Harry Potter. In fact, I hate that book series, LOL...I just felt like putting it up there for kicks.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:01 pm
Otulissa

Eoin Colfer is a great author! I read practically every one of his books! And yes, Artemis IS hot! xD I used to have a crush on him when I first started reading the series...like years ago. XD I still love the books to shreds! My favorite character is Holly Short though. She's just ...awesome!!

Hm...Oh, and I heard they're making an Artemis Fowl movie!!

Yay, I pledge you the "I think Artemis is hot" title! Ahh... Yeah, she's really spunky and great. Folly the centaur is really cool too...yeah...XD
Yes, they are! I'm quite excited, but they switched Artemis' actor (the first one was kinda hot) because he looked too old for the part after year(s?) of planning x_x''  

ElaniTakira

Jade Anna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm
Black Cat!! eek *flips out* I just started reading that one! ...I think I've heard of HunterxHunter somewhere, though, I've never heard of Gantz. What are they about?

I don't think The Pinhoe Egg is the most recent... The Game came out in 2007... *runs off to Wikipedia* xp But, yeah, TPE is really good. I didn't manage to finish it yet, though, 'cuz I was running late on returning my pile of library books, and it got checked out the day I returned it and I haven't seen it since. ;-; Darn you, Karma. Just because I monopolize books for weeks on end doesn't mean other people should! gonk

..........I just thought of something to add to my least favorite series list. One that rivals even Harry Potter. The Clique Series. Those are the only books some of my aquaintances read. It gets really, really irritating. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm
Even though Inheritance thus far rocks my socks, I have to say HP because I haven't read all of Inheritance. The 3rd book is taking forever to come out! Let's just hope the 4th one doesn't take that long...

Yeah, Inheritance has changed from a trilogy to a cycle...guess the author needed another book to finish Eragon's story =]

Favorite manga: I haven't read very many, but I like Dears
Favorite Movie based on a book...hmm...I guess I would have to say 1408. Although the movie varied in a number of areas, it was a well done movie, especially for something done on a 50-page story
Least favorite book/book series: uhm...I'm really not into the Weetzie Bat series...they're just...really...odd...and not in a good way
Favorite author...this one is hard, but I am a die-hard King fan. He is, afterall, the King...

I do have a few other authors that I enjoy and many other series I enjoy. I loove to read  

XxStaraxX

XxStaraxX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 pm
OOhhh, and just a note. It's highly likely that none of you have heard of him but I HIGHLY reccomend you read Brom.

The Plucker, and The Devil's Rose.

They are illustrated novels and they are AMAZING.

Especially if you are into twisted stuff.

That's all smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:42 pm
oh, lol, I didn't read the poll right. I thought we were doing our favorite series not yours. haha.  

XxStaraxX

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 pm
hahahaa

I read the Game agess ago, and just recently read TPE. oh weeell. That's what I get fer living overseas for a long time.

I've never read the clique series and I'm really not into these types of books unless they're magic-ish or medieval or really good.

&& there's gonna be four inheritance books?!! Sincewhenn???
ugh, there are only three eggs, how's that gonna work? [I hope i'm getting the series right c: ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:17 pm
Trust me on this one. They're not magic-ish. They're not medieval. And they're not really good. At all. xd They're meant to brainwash the teenage, female, un-literature-savvy population. The sad thing is that they're all best-sellers. rolleyes

..... eek A fourth Inheritance book?! When did that happen?  

Jade Anna

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 pm
hhahaha.
I think I might have it figured out... The avid readers like the good stuff :] [my opinionnn] or rather stuff besides Harry Potter and books like the clique ones.
Not saying avid readers can't like those, they just like otherbooks in addition.

and all those people who hate to read. well, they read those types books.
hahahha maybe that's common sense, or nonsense? :]]
It's late/I'm tired, that's my excuse

So i looked it up on Wiki, but who knows how reliable that is.
Spoiler Alert!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:19 pm
I dunno when it happened, but I got it in a newsletter from alagesia.com.  

XxStaraxX

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:49 am
ElaniTakira
Otulissa

Eoin Colfer is a great author! I read practically every one of his books! And yes, Artemis IS hot! xD I used to have a crush on him when I first started reading the series...like years ago. XD I still love the books to shreds! My favorite character is Holly Short though. She's just ...awesome!!

Hm...Oh, and I heard they're making an Artemis Fowl movie!!

Yay, I pledge you the "I think Artemis is hot" title! Ahh... Yeah, she's really spunky and great. Folly the centaur is really cool too...yeah...XD
Yes, they are! I'm quite excited, but they switched Artemis' actor (the first one was kinda hot) because he looked too old for the part after year(s?) of planning x_x''
Where did you see the original actor?!!? 0_0 I have been looking for information on the movie...but can't find any. sad sad sad

Anyhow, are they combining books? Or is it only book 1?

And, yes, Foaly rocks! Even if he IS a bit conceited. XD Okay, a lot! Wait... do you have the Files? It's hilarious!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 am
Jade Anna
Trust me on this one. They're not magic-ish. They're not medieval. And they're not really good. At all. xd They're meant to brainwash the teenage, female, un-literature-savvy population. The sad thing is that they're all best-sellers. rolleyes

..... eek A fourth Inheritance book?! When did that happen?
There IS a fourth book! You didn't know? I've known for a month or so now... xD But then again, the Inheritance is my third favorite. Oops...I just gave away more hints about the poll. XD;; Oh well...anyhow, yeah...

I am obsessed with the Inheritance even if it's not my #1.  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Ilik Sarver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 pm
Favorite book series: Sword of Truth, by Terry Goodkind
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Movie Made From A Book: Lord of the Rings.

I am a fan of all R.A.Salvatore stories.
I am not a fan of the Golden Compass film, I have not yet read the series it was created from, but I plan to do so soon.
I loved the Narnia Chronicles. They started me on the path to fantasy novels.
The Inheritance Cycle is also amazing, I am deeply satisfied that a forth novel has been announced.

I am going to say this. It makes me laugh deeply when those who would consider their selves great fans of fantasy and fiction against the novels of J.K.Rowling. (The Harry Potter series.) If anyone places this judgement without the knowledge of J. K. Rowling's past before her creation of these stories that entranced the world, I strongly suggest you look it up. Her story is amazing, and an inspiration to future writers everywhere. It is true that the level of understanding needed to be engrossed in these stories is low, however, the considerable take on the world of reading was miraculous. The series brought together people of all ages from all over the world, regardless of the simplicity of it all. It taught the world what it meant to imagine, and what we could create if we just wrote it all down. People of all ages came together to share their thoughts and feelings of this. Kids took up an interest in reading. And I find it amazing that people could talk down on this series. Everyone has to admit that after it came out, we all started looking for new tales, new stories to keep us thinking.
I personally hope that J. K. Rowling keeps writing tales to capture the youth of the world.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 am
Ilik Sarver

I am going to say this. It makes me laugh deeply when those who would consider their selves great fans of fantasy and fiction against the novels of J.K.Rowling. (The Harry Potter series.) If anyone places this judgement without the knowledge of J. K. Rowling's past before her creation of these stories that entranced the world, I strongly suggest you look it up. Her story is amazing, and an inspiration to future writers everywhere. It is true that the level of understanding needed to be engrossed in these stories is low, however, the considerable take on the world of reading was miraculous. The series brought together people of all ages from all over the world, regardless of the simplicity of it all. It taught the world what it meant to imagine, and what we could create if we just wrote it all down. People of all ages came together to share their thoughts and feelings of this. Kids took up an interest in reading. And I find it amazing that people could talk down on this series. Everyone has to admit that after it came out, we all started looking for new tales, new stories to keep us thinking.
I personally hope that J. K. Rowling keeps writing tales to capture the youth of the world.

I already know about Rowling's past. I read an article about her, and it was interesting to see that she came a long way. But....we all have our opinions. Personally, I think that article about her life itself was a better story than the series she writes. She has lived a bit of a struggle I suppose, but then again, many, many people live way worse. And, anyhow, she just happened to have a sort of knack for writing. biggrin But....I may be an avid fantasy fan, but Harry Potter is not my cup of tea...  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm
I agree that Rowling's history is amazing and inspiring. I have read her biography a couple of times during my obsessive period. However, while the plot and the reality of it all was great, the last few books were sad, and I don't really like sad books. Which is kind of why I will never ever read the Golden Compass & trilogy ever again.
Anyway, I mean, yes, I grew up with them, but no they were not inspiring me to read more, I was already reading more. But I do realize it did inspired others to read more. I wouldn't mind if she wrote more, as long as it didn't directly involve Harry Potter. Maybe his parents... and as long as she doesn't sell the rights to a movie company.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the last three weren't "my cup of tea."

All a matter of opinion I suppose. Each entitled to his or her own.

Edit: Wow, look at this, a serious discussion type thing :]]

•◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces