Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply *♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*
The Writing Advice Game! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:23 pm
I should try that! I bet it would help.

When you're stuck with plot in a roleplay or story, random generators and plot generators are a good idea to get the juices flowing :]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:57 pm
hmm...I never thought of that! I shall have to try.

When you think you're done with a story and are ready to edit it, put it away for a few days and THEN go back. You'll be more likely to catch mistakes. Do this several times before you consider it done. And don't forget peer editing as well.  

XxStaraxX

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 am
Hm...wait a few days. That sounds like a good idea!

Some people write better in complete silence, while some people work better with noise. Either way..wear headphones! Turn on music if you write better with noise, or just keep it silent if you work better in silence! Headphones make good ear plugs. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 am
Hmmm...that IS true, headphones being good earplugs...maybe that'll help me!

If you want to know how to write horror, I say read Stephen King's Danse Macabre and On Writing...but that's just an opinion biggrin  

XxStaraxX

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:54 am
Hm...I don't write horror, but then again, I have never tried. If I plan on trying, I'll check that out! biggrin

When editing, reading aloud can help you catch errors.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:42 pm
yes, that is true. I really need to put it to use more often!

When you have people read your work, ask them to tell you specific thoughts about it, not just say "good" or "I didn't like it". You need details if you're going to improve anything!  

XxStaraxX

murderface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:31 pm
I dont know how many people ive asked about my work and they cant give me any real advice.

When I can write I play word games with the thesurous. I just pick a cool sounding word and make a few sentances around it. Then find another, soon you will have a few paragraphs and a flowing juices.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:01 am
Ooh! That sounds like fun! I think that would actually make a fun game for this guild. You could post that in the main forum if you like. ^_^ Like someone posts a word, then the next person puts it in an interesting sentence, and gives a word, and then the next person follows suit, etc.

In your writing, don't try to use big words if you don't know the definitions.  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Raquel_Casull

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:50 pm
Ooh, that's a good one. I'm really bad when it comes to that...

Never use the same adjective twice in a sentence.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:02 am
I try not to do that, but sometimes I find myself saying, "very, very" or "really, really..."

When writing a draft, writing a second draft or typing a second draft is a good idea after editing and revising. It helps keep all the editing marks neat and clean, so you don't scribble all over the place. In fact, the more drafts the better! Write five drafts if you need to!  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

SunnyNights

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:38 am
I should do that!

Remember, edit edit edit work! Nothing's perfect.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:00 am
That's simple, obvious advice, but it's often overlooked! Thanks!

Avoid run-on sentences in your writing.  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

tansyuduri

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:50 pm
Yah i need to work on that,

in order too write you need to READ!  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:37 am
Hehe, I love to read! Yup, all writers should read.

If someone trash-talks your work, instead of feeling sad, see if there is some, even a little bit of advice, buried beneath the insult. Perhaps there were lots of spelling errors? Grammatical errors? Or, if the 'trash-talk' was pointless, ignore it. Just keep on writing. wink  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 pm
I get a lot of that. Trash talking, not the ignoring.

Everything doesn't have to be totally grammatically correct. Experimenting can yield interesting results.  
*♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff