Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Patron God/ess? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rowan MacGregor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:41 am
The Goddess of my hearth is Brighid. I guess you could say she's the Matron of my home, family and religious practice. Every ritual I perform includes her, though other deities or entities may be worshiped as well.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am
I have no patron diety. My sect, Amour de la Terra, worshippes the Earth in place of a diety or dieties.  

Playgunny

Milendil

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:50 am
My God is Zeus, for he is my father. My goddess is Aphrodite, for she is my Mother. I found Aphrodite from my favorite number, four. My teacher was telling us this story about Aphrodite, Psyche, and Eros. In the story Aphrodite gave four tasks to Psyche. If she passed all four she would get to be with Eros. Well, I had already been drawn to Aphrodite, but this solidified my thoughts.

I had met a friend through Gaia and we immediately got along great. He told me that Aphrodite was his mother too. So we were sisters (even though he is a guy here on Earth). He turned out to be Athena in a reincarnated form (Athena was never a goddess according to him, that was a misunderstanding of the ancient Greeks) and I was another child of hers in a past life. So I eventually found my story including my name: Milendil (if it sounds elven, that is because I am indeed, an elf. A dark elf to be more precise).

Well, I had to have a father. And that father turned out to be Zeus. Even now, I can feel his strength.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:18 am
Morrigan, the celtic goddess of war, scream and Midir, the celtic god of justice sweatdrop .  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am
very cool, im actually not very familiar with some of these dieties.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:25 pm
Actually the word "patron" is rarely used in a "paternal" sense, it's a role involving someone who is... like invested in you. It's a Roman thing. So "matron" is not the female form of the word. Compare to patron saints: there are many female saints who are patrons of certain areas or places, or even people.

In Paganism the whole "matron" thing seems to be acceptable although I would question that. I don't use the "matron" personally.

My own patrons are Kali and Loki. Their influence on me waxes and wanes... when one is strong, the other is weak, you know? They avoid one another.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 pm
Sanguina-chan
In Paganism the whole "matron" thing seems to be acceptable although I would question that. I don't use the "matron" personally.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ma·tron Audio Help /ˈmeɪtrən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mey-truhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a married woman, esp. one who is mature and staid or dignified and has an established social position.
2. a woman who has charge of the domestic affairs of a hospital, prison, or other institution.
(. a woman serving as a guard, warden, or attendant for women or girls, as in a prison.
(Origin: 1350–1400; ME matrone < L mātrōna a married woman, wife, deriv. of māter mother)

—Related forms
ma·tron·al Audio Help /ˈmeɪtrənl, ˈmæ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mey-truh-nl, ma-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, adjective
ma·tron·hood, ma·tron·ship, noun

(Middle English matrone, from Old French, from Latin mātrōna, from māter, mātr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots.)

I refer to the 'god'mother of my children as 'goddess mother'.

Toe-may-toe. Ta-matta.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:33 am
Korealia
Sanguina-chan

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ma·tron Audio Help /ˈmeɪtrən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mey-truhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a married woman, esp. one who is mature and staid or dignified and has an established social position.
2. a woman who has charge of the domestic affairs of a hospital, prison, or other institution.
(. a woman serving as a guard, warden, or attendant for women or girls, as in a prison.
(Origin: 1350–1400; ME matrone < L mātrōna a married woman, wife, deriv. of māter mother)

—Related forms
ma·tron·al Audio Help /ˈmeɪtrənl, ˈmæ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mey-truh-nl, ma-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, adjective
ma·tron·hood, ma·tron·ship, noun

(Middle English matrone, from Old French, from Latin mātrōna, from māter, mātr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots.)

I refer to the 'god'mother of my children as 'goddess mother'.

Toe-may-toe. Ta-matta.

You have totally and absolutely missed my point.

I'm not saying the word matron doesn't exist. It just means something quite different to the word "patron". The role of a patron is not the same as just a, a person in charge of domestic affairs. Thus the use of the term as sort of a female version of "patron" is a misuse of the word.

Of course you should refer to a godmother as a goddess-mother if you choose to do so, because the meaning of the words aren't changed. It's not the same as using the word "matron" instead of "patron".

I get why people do it, I just think it's misusing the word.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:03 am
Problem solved...I changed the title!!! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:38 am
was there a problem? ninja  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 am
Not really, but thread was meandering off topic because of it.

[using all powerful mod mode to nudge topic back on track] blaugh

"All will now only discuss their patron God/ess!!! Hahahahaha"
(sorry small power trip - won't happen again redface )  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:14 am
lol its always funny when somebody invokes the power of the mods  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:55 am
Maybe we should put them alongside on our altars. twisted  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:36 am
yah like a little avi by your altar.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games