Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling
Banning King Dedede from Tourneys Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ban them from tournament play?
  HECK YES!
  HELL NO!
  Meh, don't care...
  Gold!
View Results

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm
ya they r all equally matched  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 am
Well IC's are getting pretty godly. lol  

Psychoace

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:43 pm
well no actually ya ur right they r getting pretty "godly"  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 pm
i say let them in because waddle dee is SOOO! CUTE AND HARMLESS ALL HE DOES IS WALK AND JUMP.  

-Dd the truswaqqed-

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:18 pm
who would win king dedede's army of waddle dees or olimar's army of pikmin?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:31 pm
dedede's army...hey guys I made a smash brothers-ish game...just click meh banner i have over 208 characters!!! including mario level 1-1  

A Euphoric Nightmare

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 pm
o mugen i played that before it was fun i liked using iron man, mega man, roy, predator, and neji  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 am
My vote goes to not banning King Dedede. I think players should learn to adapt to such moves.  

Plutalis Zero

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:25 am
exactly but they get so mad they dont wanna play him anymore so they quit, well some people i know  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:49 am
There was a vote...?  

nitnit
Captain

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 am
what r u asking?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 pm
Wha? Thats stupid! I dont like the 'no items' rule anyway, people need to learn how to use and avoid them... theyre no more unfair than snake using explosives everywhere or something... I could rant about this all day, but i wont...

If you dont like him being able to throw an item, OH WELL!  

Starfox64x

Devoted Explorer

7,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Psychoace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:27 am
Starfox64x
Wha? Thats stupid! I dont like the 'no items' rule anyway, people need to learn how to use and avoid them... theyre no more unfair than snake using explosives everywhere or something... I could rant about this all day, but i wont...

It's not a matter of being able to dodge items. You could be doing really well down to say one stock a piece and a random capsule or box explodes on you and you die, game over.....and the other person wins the tourney, how would that be proving he is more skill full than you. With snake you can utilize his items and so can his opponents. It's more about seeing two peoples skills not two peoples skills and the randomness of items thrown into the mix.

Many non-tournament Smashers notice that the ruleset demands highly specific conditions - conditions under which they would rarely play - and that these rules squeeze the "fun" out of competitive play, and don't reflect a player's more cerebral skills. This argument, however, is disregarded by most tournament Smashers, who hold the opinion that the rigorous ruleset prevents "degenerate" gameplay, thus making competitive play more enriching (and fun).

More legitimately however, many players do argue about specific tournament rules. In Smashboards' nascent years, items were a major point of contention amongst Smashers - generally, East Coast Smashers wanted them turned off in tournaments and West Coast Smashers wanted them turned on. Item proponents stated that the use of items itself required skills and did not reduce the depth of the game; item opponents emphasized the often unfair randomness to item appearances, especially explosives like Bob-ombs and capsules. Eventually, the community reached a consensus that items should be turned off in tournaments due to the element of randomness.

Another point of controversy involves which stages should be deemed neutral, pickable, or banned. While Smashers generally agreed that the immense Hyrule Temple gave an unfair advantage to fast-moving characters like Fox, other stages were still up to question. Some people wanted to ban all moving and irregular stages, to reduce the game to battles on relatively simple stages, whereas others wanted to allow any stages that did not foster an unfair advantage to one strategy or character. Today, the neutral and banned stages are generally constant, but they still fluctuate from tournament to tournament.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:02 pm
Starfox64x

would u like it if u couldnt get one and ur opponent kept using them on u?  

dragwarrior

sonicfreak1031

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:22 pm
hes soooooo annoyin and he sucks and cheap  
Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items