Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
Juno - Hit or Miss? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you like Juno?
  Of course!!
  Hated it.
  Uh...what?
  POLL WHORE!!
View Results

starlitwinkler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 pm
It made a bunch of money and continues to do so.

It's a hit.

If it were a miss, it wouldn't be bought.

Everything is going to have something bad about it.
Nothing can satisfy everyone. 'Course you're going to hear bad stuff about it.

New title? Because the title is annoying me because of those reasons ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 pm
Quixotic Faye
Otakkun
Brainthought
Its a cute film for people who have never seen Once but I found it to be really blah "I don't care why does Juno sound like every other person in the film"
...Wasn't Once released after Juno? Either way...they were in production at the exact same time...
...So it would be impossible for either one to influence the other.

...That, and Once was terrible. xD!! All I got from that movie was blah "I don't care why does Irishman sound like every other whiney street performer in the world" xp

Seriously, though, I don't think either one can be compared to each other in the way that you suggested. ^^;;
Juno came out after Once.

I think Once is far superior to Juno. emo

I thought Juno was cute, but the dialogue was obnoxious. Clever, pretentious language and hipster references to horror movies and music so Diablo Cody can show off how cool she is because of her ~*knowledge*~.

I believe most of the music was actually suggested by Ellen Page, so blame her for the admittedly hipster references. I thought that the soundtrack was fairly strong, however, one of the best recent soundtracks.

I thought the film itself was good, but by no means my favourite or Page's best (Tracey Fragments or Hard Candy, or even Mouth to Mouth). It is good as a witty distraction, a nice teen comedy, and it probably got far too much praise, merely because there is a glut of horrible, awful films that are just accepted as the norm, so when a solid film comes along, like Juno, it gets hyped beyond measure.  

loIitoads

Atomic Pixie7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:11 pm
I loved it! I think Ellen Page's straight faced sense of humor in the movie was great! I thought it had a great plot and adding humor to an otherwise rough situation was genius. It made it real. Not all of life's tough situations need to have such drama, humor is what makes us get through it. I feel Ellen really made the viewer connect with her character and get a teen's point of view from it all, Juno had a very level head on her shoulders. A+ movie all around.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:45 am
Lolicat von Doom
Quixotic Faye
Otakkun
Brainthought
Its a cute film for people who have never seen Once but I found it to be really blah "I don't care why does Juno sound like every other person in the film"
...Wasn't Once released after Juno? Either way...they were in production at the exact same time...

...That, and Once was terrible. xD!! All I got from that movie was blah "I don't care why does Irishman sound like every other whiney street performer in the world" xp

Seriously, though, I don't think either one can be compared to each other in the way that you suggested. ^^;;

I thought Juno was cute, but the dialogue was obnoxious. Clever, pretentious language and hipster references to horror movies and music so Diablo Cody can show off how cool she is because of her ~*knowledge*~.

I believe most of the music was actually suggested by Ellen Page, so blame her for the admittedly hipster references. I thought that the soundtrack was fairly strong, however, one of the best recent soundtracks.

I thought the film itself was good, but by no means my favourite or Page's best (Tracey Fragments or Hard Candy, or even Mouth to Mouth). It is good as a witty distraction, a nice teen comedy, and it probably got far too much praise, merely because there is a glut of horrible, awful films that are just accepted as the norm, so when a solid film comes along, like Juno, it gets hyped beyond measure.
Oh, I agree about the soundtrack, but I was talking about the music discussions between Ellen Page and Jason Bateman in the film. It reminded me of that college cliché of pseudo-intellectuals talking about Bartók while trying to one-up each other with the finer points of diatonic harmonies, or some such ridiculous topic. It really didn't feel like a reflection of the characters' personalities so much as it did the writer's.  

Quixotic Faye

loIitoads

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 am
Quixotic Faye
Lolicat von Doom
Quixotic Faye
Otakkun
Brainthought

Oh, I agree about the soundtrack, but I was talking about the music discussions between Ellen Page and Jason Bateman in the film. It reminded me of that college cliché of pseudo-intellectuals talking about Bartók while trying to one-up each other with the finer points of diatonic harmonies, or some such ridiculous topic. It really didn't feel like a reflection of the characters' personalities so much as it did the writer's.

I will give you that, but look at the majority of films and you see that most characters tend to be a reflection of either the writer/s or exactly what the audience wants. There are few brave characters written in modern cinema.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:00 am
I like it probably a B+ rated movie for me. It had good humor and an interesting storyline. The difference between Juno and other teen movies is that this movie connected to what real people deal with on a deeper connection. The humor was more of an escape route and when it got too deep people do what they think is best or right. It's not a story of hey this girl is smart for what she did and people shouldn't be the way they are because its not right like divorcing. It's just a movie cloneing the aspect of poeple and the way they live. No its not perfect because no one who's real is perfect. I think that was the point of the movie.  

LunaSoulKeeper

4,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100

Black-Ninja01

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 am
I was a great movie. I think that it addresses the social situation of a pregnant teen. It shows what she goes go through in school and other social places  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:51 pm
Black-Ninja01
I was a great movie. I think that it addresses the social situation of a pregnant teen. It shows what she goes go through in school and other social places

Having watched the movie again yesterday (and still loving it), I've got to question whether it really engages with her social life in any real depth. A wonderful film, yes, but I think people want to pretend it has an underlying philosophy, but it's really just a nice, well-written love story.  

loIitoads

Chokolate Thief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm
I liked it. I think both Ellen Paige and Michael Cera are great actors, and I loved the cross country runners in it, because I am a devoted runner.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:35 pm
Personally, I found it boring and overrated. Of course I saw it after several people raved about it, so perhaps my expectations were to high to fairly judge it. To me it just wasn't all that funny or cute. I wouldn't say it was the worst movie I have seen, but rather not the great movie it seemed to be pitched as.  

ladycobalt

mistress_hydro

7,200 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 am
we watched it in child care class in my sophmore year of high school. i liked it, i wanted juno's burger phone, that thing was neat.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:12 pm
I just really liked it. I thought it was cute. I don't care if it's hip, or has social commentary. I laughed and enjoyed watching it. Plus, I got to stare at Michael Cera. The movie had lots of bright colors too. Besdies, nowadays, a lot of teens do act like pretentious, self-aware hipsters. Whatevers. If you've ever seen the show Dawson's Creek, it's the exact same thing.  

Blue Eyed Wallflower

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Dea Atra Amor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:45 pm
I think that Juno was good and bad. It had it's moments. But the humor was forced and it was way to fairy-tale compared to what a real teen pregnancy is like.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 pm
I found it to be more entertaining than some pregnant teenage dramas... it seemed as though there was less drama and a little unexpected at times. I'm used to those shitty "oh my god I'm pregnant! I didn't see it coming!" kind of movies when the teenager is usually promiscuous and ignorant, but this one was more realistic in that the teenager was just curious and fooling around with a close friend just to try it out, which a lot of the times it isn't about fake love but just straight curiousity when it comes to sexuality.  

amusedwriter

7,725 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

lillee e guana

5,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:53 am
I liked the movie. the music is kinda corny.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff